[Userscript]: Anime Context Sentences

I think this problem should already be fixed in this fork of the Advanced Context Sentence script:

2 Likes

Creator and maintainer of the API server here.

Currently you can use shortness and longness to sort the results. sentence length is a soon to be deprecated value which is equivalent to shortness.

In the future, I might add a popularity sort by counting the number of times a sentence has been added to someone’s list (on the Immersion Kit website).

Some kind of sort according to number of words in JLPT Level / WaniKani Level is also possible. Obviously that would involve scoring the difficulty of a sentence with the number/percentage of words. Is a sentence with 5 N2 words and 2 N4 words more difficult than a sentence with only 2 N1 words?

Let me know if there are any sorting options you would like to see.

1 Like

Ah, thank you! I’ve downloaded the fix

For everyone maintaining or updating this script, what about the elimination of overly short sentences? Or restricting sentences to 4+ characters?

As much as I love FMA, remembering the context of these scenes was difficult (and frankly I only just barely can tell when the last one is). Having overly short sentences can defeat the purpose of having context in the first place.

1 Like

Beautiful script! Thank you!

1 Like

Hello, author here. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

The following changes are included in v1.1.0.

• Number of sentences is in a scrollable region and limited to 50. (PR to add infitie-scolling instead would be welcome :slight_smile: )
  • Sort sentences by longest or shortest first.
5 Likes

Hi @DIO-Berry. I’m delighted you’re getting value from the script. To address your problem here, in v1.1.0 I’ve removed the option to choose the number of sentences, and instead made it a scrollable list. Now you can skip past the short sentences, but still benefit from seeing them in context which might be useful for other shows/movies/vocab.

You can also sort the sentences by shortest or longest first, which would help in this case too.

Any other suggestions, let me know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://v2.immersionkit.com/ is even more beautiful. Nice work @mathewthe2 !

2 Likes

Hi Mathew. It’s great to see you here! Apologies I missed your post about this on the discord. I’ve updateed the URL query with “sort=shortness” so now the “sentence length” option can be removed, but I’ve actually duplicated the sorting logic so that it can be changed through the settings without making another API request.

I love the idea of popularity. Difficultly – that would be awesome, I’m sure there’s probably literature on this that we could use. :thinking:

Thank you so much for your additions @daikirai ! I’m impressed. I included them all in the v1.1.0 update :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Orzelius, great feedback!

1. @daikirai checked this off :slight_smile:
  2. v1.1.0 adds the options to sort sentences by shortest or longest first.
  3. I’ll clarify before commiting. If I understand, in vocab reviews, you’d like to see the sentence only after you get the item correct, before proceeding to the next item (you’re obviously not using lightening mode from Double Check?). So you dont want to use it as a potential prompt (like in the script you linked), but for reenforcing the word? I’d like to hear your reasoning/intention here. Also, do you think the image, audio, and translation should be included, or just the japanese sentence?

It’s very generous of you to offer to send money. Immersionkit.com run by @mathewthe2 is the service that does all the heavy lifting here and has monthly running costs :slight_smile: I’m not officially connected but any proceeds should definetly go to the donate button on the site.

Hi @APerson962. In the screenshot I’ve selected “Wolf Children” to be included, so they’re highlighted blue. By default, all the Ghibli films are included - they’re grey in the screenshot because that list isn’t selected.

1 Like

for point 3. Yes, this won’t work with lightning mode. I was thinking exactly the same functionality as the WaniKani Context Sentences in Reviews script, just with anime and audio, but actually from trying out your script for the past week or so I think I prefer the wanikani context sentences, as they’re way more varied than anime ones and are made especially to help memorize/contextualize the given word. Also quite often there are no anime sentences for some words even if all of the anime is selected

Do you have a repo where this script is hosted, I would consider contributing myself but I had no luck finding it.

Again, thank you soo much for this, this is a great asset for many Japanese learners and will help tons of people!

Thanks for elaborating. The repo is GitHub - psdcon/wanikani-anime-sentences: Wanikani userscript for adding example sentences from popular anime to new vocabular., but there’s not much more here than the content of the usescript :slight_smile:

Thank you! I appreciate it. I’ll download the update asap

@psdcon Aye, I’ve got some changes to request pull of. Namely, tidying up the representation – font size select and an option to turn off pictures.
I’m also thinking about stealing borrowing the drag-resize option from Ultimate Timeline.

Btw scrollable sentences look wonderful, main post definitely should be updated to show it off :wink:

This is a great script! I like all the customization abilities it has (as well as the large number of Ghibli titles!) I think this will make learning new vocabulary a lot easier, having examples from movies and series I know well. It’s a bit sad it only came into existence now that I’m in level 54… But I’m glad it exists at all and that I’ll get to use it at least for a few more levels!

I’ve noticed a few errors in it, although I’m not sure how possible or difficult it will be to fix them:

Some of the sentences have the readings built right into them, instead of in the hideable furigana up top. Here’s two examples from 随分. Having it like that for the name “Yoriko” seems reasonable enough, but not as much for 探した and 大丈夫… I think you picked up the sentences from some database of sorts, so I guess making changes to it might be out of your hands, but in case it isn’t, I thought I’d mention it.

There are also some sentences that are unnecessarily duplicated like this one, also from 随分. The differences are that the first is missing the preceding 大丈夫です, the sound gets cut off before the final ら can be said, and the background music is quieter (which might be better for listening to the sentence, actually). But I think it would be better if there was just one version of them. (Again, not sure what you can do about it.)

2 Likes

Great concept. But I have 2 problems with this script. I find the font to be too big, so it would be good if I had the settings to change it. The other one is that I can’t hide the english translation (I’ve tried both of the settings, on hover and on click, but they don’t work for me, not sure if it’s a problem on my end)

I thought about one more thing that could improve. I think it would be better if it had a setting to limit how many sentences there are in the list

As for the to-do list, Entries could be filtered distinct. For some short set phrases, there is really a lot of the same sentence over and over, for example, 動くな.

And I’ve already found the so answer to steal code from :slight_smile:

1 Like