[Userscript]: Anime Context Sentences

I hand-patched all the sentences for “When Marnie Was There”, which if I recall is one of the few resources that had a lot of furigana in the Japanese script. (There are still some in other anime/shows, but very few and usually for names).

As for the repeat example in Clannad, one of them is actually part of an episode preview of the next episode. That’s why it’s shorter and “cut off”. I usually remove episode recaps and previews in my own resources but this is someone else’s (Jo Mako’s) and I’ll have to manually remove these.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! That must have taken awhile…

Oh, I see!

I chanced upon another sentence for 濃い (thick) that had some furigana inserted into it.

And another two instances in a 恋 (love) sentence.

And for 鯉 (carp), there was an example that should actually be for 恋. (The katakana must have thrown it off. (Why is it in katakana, anyways? :sweat_smile: I guess because the character speaking is a foreigner?)) And I checked, and this example doesn’t appear under 恋.

And then, on the 恋 page, the こい in this example is actually the te-form of the verb 漕ぐ (to row).

And after dumping all this little typo stuff, I’m wondering if there’s a way for others to help fix these little things? Is there a way of going into the script and fixing stuff, or going to some database and touching up some things? Or can only you access the sentences? Becaue I wouldn’t mind fixing up things as I encountered them, if there were some way. I don’t really know how scripts work though, so maybe I’m not the best person for that, eheh.

I just hand-removed all the furigana from Madoka, wind rises, and re-zero. I also replaced the troubling sentence in “when marnie was there” with kanji so it can be properly tokenized to 漕ぐ.

こい is one of those troubling Japanese words that can be parsed as 濃い, 恋, 漕い or 来い… especially when someone just enters “koi” into the search bar, what exactly should the search serve them? No one seems to report problems when jisho serves every permutation of “koi” but here with example sentences users have trouble with that. Hm…I doubt there would be any solution that would make everyone happy.

And after dumping all this little typo stuff, I’m wondering if there’s a way for others to help fix these little things? Is there a way of going into the script and fixing stuff, or going to some database and touching up some things? Or can only you access the sentences? Becaue I wouldn’t mind fixing up things as I encountered them, if there were some way. I don’t really know how scripts work though, so maybe I’m not the best person for that, eheh.

There is a report button you can click on the website, so in this case you would have to go to immersionkit.com, login, search for the problematic sentence, and file a report. Currently I’m the only person maintaining the database and checking the reports. Also, there is some technicality involved with patching the sentences, and I need to re-index my database every time I update it.

4 Likes

Thank you!

I think the main difference between looking a word up in romaji on jisho versus this script is that it’s impossible for jisho to know which word exactly a user is looking for based on romaji alone, while in the case of this script, it is possible for the sentences to be perfectly matched to the vocab word, although admittedly it will require a lot of work and finetuning. And considering how there can be so many example sentences (although that can be reduced by choosing fewer anime), having to go through sentences that are unrelated to the word you just learned can be a little frustrating or even confusing for Japanese learners without much prior study of the language. But like with jisho, you can still figure things out based on context. Would you like me to refrain from pointing out these homonym-type errors? :sweat_smile:

So posting things here and on that website amounts to the same thing, since you’re managing both of them? Which one is more convenient for you? (If you’re still interested in hearing about little corrections from me, that is.)

1 Like

I am only managing the api service and the website, not the script. In an ideal greenhouse environment, the teacher would have to pick and select the sentences from the website and load that to their script / app / pdf / google classroom. I’m actually doing partial mapping for Game Gengo’s Grammar Textbook where I either select relevant examples from the database for each grammar entry or let it simply do a search.

Assumption of user knowledge: It’s impossible to assume or guess what words or grammar the user might know or not know. I already provided filters like JLPT and WK, but afaik there is no way you can detect what a leaner might know or not know (especially when Chinese/Korean learners already know a lot of kanji before studying Japanese). I assume one can extend this script to leverage WaniKani’s API to access user progress and filter out harder sentences.

Learning from native material vs scaffolding / comprehensible input: With the way immersion kit is set up currently, teachers have access to a wide range of material to select for a classroom, while independent learners have freedom to pick example sentences from anime/drama that they like.

A more roundabout way to crowdsource quality sentences for this script, rather than manually selecting sentences, is to have users thumbs up the good sentences - and this can be done through a separate server and database - so users here don’t need to go to the website and login and add it to their list etc. Someone could definitely do it.

I don’t mind. Since the issues are related to the usability of the script I think it’s fair to post it here.

4 Likes

this looks like a great script! i’ve installed it to test. thank you for all the work you’re putting into this, it looks like one of the more work-intensive scripts for WK!

Hi! Really sorry for the late response. Thank you for getting back to me, but I was more wondering about how you get that filters screen up in the first place?

Sorry, and thank you again!

The settings button. It’s right next to the Anime Sentences header.

Public API now supports minimum and maximum character length.

Updated documentation here.

@psdcon

3 Likes

Sadly he went underground again, I believe he will be back after the jlpt.

2 Likes

Encountered this “English” translation (which as you can see is just the Japanese sentence repeated) :open_mouth: I wonder how this happened and if it has happened to any other sentences as well

1 Like

Yes I am aware of this for a while. This is a problem with only 1~2 episodes of this one series, part of which I have fixed. There are already audio and subtitle sync issues throughout the episodes so I didn’t fully resolve all the issues and I had other stuff to handle.

I will get back to this in the future.

7 Likes

It doesn’t seem to come up with anything for me. Does it need to be in a certain load order on Tampermonkey? I already have Open Framework installed and other scripts have been working so far.

What exactly do you mean by that? Does the “Anime Sentences” section appear but say “No sentences found”, or is the entire “Anime Sentences” section missing? For example, if you visit the item page for 大人 and scroll down, is the section “Anime Sentences” visible between “Context Sentences” and “Kanji Composition”?

Nothing comes up between those two sections at all. I can’t see the title ‘Anime Sentences’ anywhere. My other addons do work though.

What browser are you using? And which version? Is it up-to-date?

Can you open your browser’s console and post a screenshot of the warnings and error messages?

1 Like

I can not believe it! The moment I’ve been waiting for since I started Japanese ten thousand years ago. It finally came!

Just according to keikaku :0

11 Likes

so it went exactly as you planned then

4 Likes

@mathewthe2 I found another misplaced example sentence, this time for the vocabulary 呆ける (ぼける).

The ボケてる, which is for some reason written in katakana, is actually written as 惚ける when using kanji (although it seems to be usually written in hiragana). 惚 isn’t a kanji that’s taught on WaniKani, so this sentence just needs to be removed from the 呆ける (ぼける) vocabulary word listing and doesn’t need to be added anywhere else.

1 Like