Update to how we handle User Synonyms

@tofugu-scott Thank you for explaining the purpose behind the synonym management dialog.

I’m having an unexpected problem using this new feature.

When I learn a new item, before adding any new synonyms, I make fairly extensive meaning notes, usually including a list of vocabulary words or expressions related to the new item. Sometimes I make notes about possible synonyms to add later, after I’ve reached a better understanding of the meaning.

You can see an example of my meaning notes in this post from another thread

The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar) - #4448 by nemurineko

Finally, after I’ve reached a better understanding of the range of meanings of the new item, I add synonyms while looking through my notes and selecting the ones that will be most useful for me.

I often use all eight slots for synonyms, sometimes using words from other languages. (I added ‘vuoristo’ for ‘mountain range’, since it is quicker to type.)

Unfortunately, since the introduction of the new synonym management dialog, I can no longer see my meaning notes when adding synonyms. The new dialog box completely covers that information. My meaning notes are now hidden behind a large dialog box, which takes up the whole screen. I can’t even shift the position of the window to see my notes.

The extra clicks are mildly annoying, but not being able to refer to my meaning notes when entering synonyms is a much bigger problem for me.

If I could move the position of the dialog window so that it didn’t cover up my meaning notes, that would solve the problem for me.

Is there any way that you could allow the dialog window to be movable? Does it really have to take up the whole screen?

1 Like