Trunklayer's Study Log

Today doesn’t feel very productive as I could have done more, especially, on reading. Still, managed to move at least a bit foward in all directions I’m currently interested in. Today I:

• Kept up with my reviews.
  • Finished remaining lessons. Reached 0/0.
  • Read today’s NHK Easy News articles.
  • Read another article on 自分 and an article on か in Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.
  • Took some more notes on はたらく細胞。Currently on page 72.
  • Added level 32 vocab to my vocab quicksheet:

4 Likes
I'm very inspired reading your study log, Trunklayer-san.

Mainly because: I keep saying that I’m gonna start taking notes, but then I never actually TAKE any. And I appreciate that it takes extra time, but then it’s there for quick review (and “clickable”).

I like your “one chunk at a time” approach to recording info from the lessons. You took a few weeks, but got everything caught up fairly quickly! I’ve certainly spent as much time as that “spinning my wheels in frustration at being stuck”.

I particularly like the data fields you are using for your grammar notes, especially the verbs. It’s not the kind of thorough notes that I couldn’t possibly have taken a year ago. Even now for me (weak on grammar), it would be a difficult to take such notes now, but probably a useful exercise.

My computing skills are not strong enough to try Jupyter notes… So I think that I will try to keep my notes using Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. (Also because Excel mastery is helpful for many corporate jobs in the US)

Thank you for the inspiration, Trunklayer! (In addition to the ridiculously cute kitties)

:nerd_face:

2 Likes

I’m very glad to be of any help / inspurration! :cat2:
Yeah, Excel is great!
Another great app for taking notes is MS OneNote, which was the inspiration for MyNotes app (the app that I wrote for meowself and am using) :cat2:

Anyway, best of luck with your studies!

2 Likes

Today I was quite busy with work, so, once again I only did the bare essentials in all directions:

• Kept up with my reviews
  • Read today’s NHK Easy News
  • Read another article on か in Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.
  • Took some more notes on はたらく細胞。Currently on page 76.
  • Added level 33 vocab to my vocab quicksheet:

4 Likes

Ok, I failed to write both yesterday’s entry and the day before yesterday’s entry.
Those two days have been weird - on Friday I suddenly got a large increase of work and on Saturday I was very weak. On the bright side, I started listening to
https://nihongoconteppei.com/
which is very good listening practice. With all my other listening practice (NHK Easy News, Satori Reader) I always first read the text and then listen. So, by the time I’m listening, I’ve already understood the article.
With this podcast, however, I don’t have a text, so listening is the only way to understand what’s being said. Luckily, this podcast is ideal for beginners, because he talks quite slowly (but not too slowly) and often repeats himself. Also, despite being slower than normal conversation, it still sounds more natural than many audio in textbooks, because he talks quite emotionally.
Anyway, returning to the log:
Still, on Friday I managed to do most of my routine, albeit, not very much in every direction:

• Kept up with my reviews
  • Read Friday’s NHK Easy News.
  • Read articles on かどうか and かい in Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.
  • Done a few notes on はたらく細胞、but only a few.
  • Listened to the last 10 podcasts of 日本語こんてっぺい。
  • Added level 34 vocab to my vocab quicksheet:

On Saturday I managed to do quite a lot in some directions, but nothing in other directions:

• Caught up with my reviews.
  • Done some lessons. Currently have 70 lessons.
  • Took quite a lot of notes on はたらく細胞 - reached page 87.
  • Listened to 20 日本語こんてっぺい podcasts.
3 Likes

Thank you so much for helping me through my 1200 review queue!
You made it! 勇者だ!

1 Like

見事ね!! すばらしい進めていく!!^-^

1 Like

Today I’ve still been feeling very weak (though not as weak as yesterday), so I was unable to do much, but at least I did something in all directions:

• Reduced the number of lessons to 40.
  • Listened to podcasts 390 - 378 on Nihongo con Teppei
  • Read article on かもしれない in Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.
  • Took notes on a few more pages of はたらく細胞。Reached page 91.
  • Added level 35 vocab to my vocab quicksheet:

4 Likes

Last days I haven’t been feeling well. Still, in such cases it’s still better to do at least something, even if it’s a token effort, than nothing. What did I do today?

• Reduced the number of lessons to 20.
  • Read today’s NHK Easy News.
  • Listened to podcasts 377 - 369 and 411 on Nihongo con Teppei
  • Read article on から in Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.
  • Took notes on just one more frame of はたらく細胞。 Am still on page 91, but token effort is better than no effort. If I do even one frame per day, I’m bound to read quite a lot in a month. If I do nothing per day, I’ll read nothing. Still, I hope to return to normal reading speed soon.
  • Added level 36 vocab to my vocab quicksheet:

4 Likes

Well, today has been, while not as productive as I’d like, still better than yesterday. So, what did I do today, studywise?

• Finished my lessons.
  • Read todays NHK Easy News articles; for some reasons, today they released only three instead of four.
  • Listened to podcasts 368 - 356 on Nihongo con Teppei.
  • Read another article on から in Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.
  • Took some more notes on はたらく細胞。I hoped to finish the second chapter today; I failed with this, but still, I took sufficiently more notes than yesterday. Reached page 96.
  • Added level 37 vocab to my vocab quicksheet:

3 Likes

Wow you are busting along great!!! o . O :cat2:

omigosh is that kushiyaki?? yessss!!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I can’t wait to get to level 37!!! :DDD

Also: sorry you’ve been feeling unwell. I really hope that it gets better very very very soon. <3

2 Likes

Today turned out to be unexpectedly productive. Today I managed to do the following:

• Kept up with my reviews. Leveled up and thus finally broke my previous record that has been looming over me for 4 years.
  • Done most of the lessons. Currently have 23 lessons.
  • Listened to Nihongo con Teppei podcasts 352 - 333 and 412. Wrote a script to load whole pageworth of podcasts without having to click on each of them:
import requests
import re

url = 'https://nihongoconteppei.com/page/4/'
path = 'E:\Docs\Japanese\Podcasts'

with requests.get(url) as r:
    contents = r.text

regexp = re.compile(r'http://media.blubrry.com/nihongo_con_teppei/s/nihongoconteppei.com/wp-content/uploads/\d{4}/\d{2}/(.+?\.mp3)')

for res in regexp.finditer(contents):
    file_url = res.group()
    file_name = res.groups()[0]
    with requests.get(file_url) as r:
        with open(f'{path}/{file_name}', 'wb') as f:
            f.write(r.content)
  • Finished taking notes on second chapter of はたらく細胞。Reread the whole chapter.
  • Read the third article on から and an article on かしら in Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.
  • Added level 38 kanji to my kanji quicksheet (rightmost column):

• Added level 38 vocab to my vocab quicksheet:

I didn’t plan to catch up with my level the same day I get a new level, but it happened nevertheless.
Now that my vocab quicksheet has finally cought up with my level, I will be adding new levels as I get them. So, I won’t add level 39 vocab until I reach level 39. Instead, I am going to go through all the previous levels and put them in order. Because some of them are empty links (mostly in Painful and the beginning of Death) levels, some miss context sentences, some have wrong level indicated. This needs fixing.

Anyway, as I’ve said, today has been one of my more productive days.

6 Likes

Ok, today wasn not as productive as yesterday, but not bad either.

• Reduced the number of lessons to 10.
  • Listened to Nihongo con Teppei podcasts 313 - 322 and 413. That means I have a gap consisting of podcasts 323 - 332. I’m hope to fix that gap tomorrow.
  • Read articles on かた and かわりに in Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.
  • Started reading the third chapter of はたらく細胞。Currently at page 118.
  • Read through my notes on level 37 and level 36 vocab items.
4 Likes

Just realized, I forgot to make an entry yesterday. Luckily, I didn’t forget to study :sweat_smile:
Yesterday I did the following:

• Finished all the lessons and thus reached 0/0.
  • Read yesterday’s NHK Easy News.
  • Listened to Nihongo con Teppei podcasts 323 - 332 and therefore removed the gap.
  • Read article on けれども in Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.
  • Did some more reading of はたらく細胞。Reached page 127.
  • Read through my notes on level 35 vocab items.
4 Likes

Congratulations on getting all caught up on the quicksheet! :sunflower: And so much work you’ve been doing – yay!!! Cheering you on!! :cat2:

1 Like

Nearly forgot to make an entry again :sweat_smile:
Today I managed to do the following:

6 Likes

Today was very productive in some aspects and not so productive in others:

• Got new lessons, done some of them; currently have 42 lessons.
  • Read the articles about earthquakes, heavy snowing and heatstroke on NHK Easy News.
    Listened to podcasts 19-33 on Nihongo con Teppei for beginners (I won’t listen to the intermediate podcasts until I finish listening to all the beginner ones).
  • Read 野ばら. Quickly, skipping through everything I didn’t understand. Still managed to understand most of it (I think). It’s a very sad story.
  • Finished reading the third chapter of はたらく細胞。Reached page 138. Started taking notes on it. Reached page 114.
3 Likes

Felt very weak all day, so didn’t do as much as I hoped…

• Reduced the number of lessons to 32.
  • Read today’s NHK Easy News articles.
  • Listened to podcasts 34 - 60 on Nihongo con Teppei for beginners.
  • Took some more notes on はたらく細胞。Reached page 122.
3 Likes

I agree with @Slooshy, you are doing an amazing amount of work every day :astonished:
I hope that you are feeling ok :pleading_face:.
For a self proclaimed ‘clumsy cat’ you’ve raised the bar an awful lot! Go you!!

4 Likes

Another day very productive in some aspects and not-so-productive in others:

• Reduced the number of lessons to 22.
  • Finished taking notes on the third chapter of はたらく細胞。This took most of today, but I was very meowtivated by the 📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖 thread (huge thanks to @Redglare さん for that thread – it’s very meowtivating :cat2:). Started reading the fourth and final chapter of the first volume - reached page 150.

Unfortunately, right now I’m too tired to do anything else; also, it’s quite late, so I think I’ll call it a day.

7 Likes