Yeah but what are the odds the Japanese word for karate and the English word for karate would line up like that. It really makes you think that maybe there is a god after all and we all came from the same place.
If that doesn’t convince you, try typing the japanese version, からて, in romaji and see what you get. Think about that for a second
No, we English-speakers get the word for karate from the Japanese. We didn’t develop the word independently.
(Although, on the subject of “maybe we all came from the same place”: We’ve got the words “外人” “goyim” and “gringo”. Words from three unrelated languages, with prominent g and i sounds, all of which mean “foreigner”. Plus a lot of languages use n sounds for negative words, like nyet, no, ない)
I find it more strange how few coincidences I can think of, especially phonetically. They seem less common than had they just been randomly chosen (which makes sense, but still).
One thing I just thought of though, is 太字's use of 太 (fat) to indicate boldness, which English doesn’t do, but my native language, Danish, does:
To be fat → at være fed
Bold text → fed tekst
“Fed” can also be used in some ways like the English “awesome,” like in “That was awesome!”
Just my two cents, I heard karate in english growing up long before I heard 空手 in japanese so I dont think its entirely black and white which word came first. For all we know, the japanese could have used it as a loanword from america, no?
As for the thread, I know some of my mnemonics are made up of lucky coincidences (mostly with German words), but I have a hard time finding an example at the moment. I’ll try to post something when I find them again.
Same in French, fat can be literally translated to “gras” (in the case of ‘to be fat’ you would actually say “être gros” more often than “être gras” but both are possible), and bold text is “texte gras” or often times you would just say “gras”.
I thought of another one. The Danish word for “no” (nej) is almost homophone to ない. It probably looks like it’d be pronounced way differently, but just trust me okay?
ね used as a sentence ending is pretty similar to Brazilian Portuguese’s né (pronounced Neh). Né is used when you give out some info, and you want confirmation from the other person, similarly to “right?”. Though it’s informal, and a closer translation would probably be “ain’t it?”, since né is a contraction of não é.
So 今日は寒いですね would be translated as Tá frio hoje, né?