Transitive verbs used in sentences without を

Are These sentences correct? and if so why is を not used in any of these sentences?

Thanks

聞き入れて許す、諒察して許す、寛大に許す

1 Like

I’m fairly confident you’ve probably encountered Japanese sentences where contextually understood information is not included.

These sentences are all fine in the sense that if you said them, and it was understood what the unspoken part of the sentence was, no one would be confused.

And just out of curiosity, where do you want to put を? I’m guessing you know that を marks the direct object of a verb, so there’s more than を missing.

So perhaps you were thinking “Transitive verbs without a direct object” and just phrased it this way.

1 Like

I Thought as the verb is listed as a transitive verb, that it must take the particle を。

Is this not the case?

Is the を particle only used when there is a direct object? and if there’s not I can use it without the を?

I was thinking maybe I would have to find a similar verb that was non transitive if that was the case.

Yeah, you’re kind of jumping ahead a bit…

A transitive verb is a verb that takes a direct object. In Japanese, a direct object is marked by を.

There are other uses of を besides marking a direct object (for example, 私は公園を歩く I walk through the park), but that’s getting a bit off the main point.

Japanese is a language where it’s okay to omit information both parties already know. So you can say a verb that is transitive by itself and no one will bat an eye. Because both parties know that some direct object is being left unsaid.

Take something like 送る (おくる to send). The action of sending something requires a direct object. You can’t send intransitively.

But if my girlfriend tells me to send a message to someone, and then I later respond 送った, we both know that what was meant was 私があの人にメッセージを送った. But there’s no reason to say all of that stuff that we both know already.

7 Likes

Thank you I understand :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.