Too many Guru items?

If that’s considered “too many,” I don’t even want to know what this is…

1 Like

I like that color scheme, which userscript is doing that?

It’s not the amount but that your guru and master seem to be close together. Question is about guru being much higher then master

He joined in May of this year so has not reached the 6 months yet to burn anything.

While im bearly on level 9 and already been here 7 months >.<

1 Like

Oh that’s even worse, I need to get a move on then :joy:

1 Like

Your ratio for Master/Enlightened items is way better than average, I’d imagine, so I’d say you’re more than fine.

Personally speaking, I’d argue that the most important thing for having manageable reviews is how many low-level Apprentice items you have:

I’ve still got ~100 Apprentice items, but they are nearly all at A4 rank, so I’ll see them each only once this week (if I get them right). If they were all A1, that would be… a whopping ~400 reviews in the next 3 days spent on Apprentice items alone, to say nothing of the rest of the reviews rolling in the whole time.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed, I’d honestly advocate using the override script on your low-level items to keep yourself from burning out. As long as you don’t override high-level items, SRS will take its natural course and you will eventually learn even the tricky items.

1 Like

Gurus are not where most of your reviews come from. High day to day work load is mostly Apprentice, and at 100ish, that means you’re at a 100ish review pile.
I can’t do reviews more than twice a day (before and after work), so my reviews accumulate, and that’s cool with me. I don’t perceive anything below 300 to be much, but I can see why people would. So if you feel it’s too much, only do reviews to reduce the pile, and then split up the lessons into smaller segments. Only swallow a whole level’s worth of them if the reviews don’t tire you out.

Reviews can rot, lessons can not. Make reviewing a high priority and do lessons whenever you have leeway.

2 Likes

My Master is usually below my Guru as well (just had my first Burn opportunity today). I need to install the Leech script and just started adding my own synonyms which I should have done long ago. I haven’t corrected for typing mistakes until recently either (I do this now with Tsurukame app but I couldn’t find a working script for desktop to accept new synonym answers…any recommendations?).

Looks at tomorrow’s reviews:

hmmm…

That’s also with me taking a break from lessons recently since it has gotten a bit out of hand lately :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Like guru guru guru guru?

ぐるぐる回る

hmm get both the timeline script and the one that shows you exactly how many items are at guru 1 and guru2… leeches script would be fine as well

You should be able to see whats going on, try to get down that number to somewhere equal to master items, that should be fine

Sure, that’s bursts though, not where your basic work load comes from usually. All those items hit Guru at the same time.

That seem to contradict each each other
So lessons are more important than reviews or no?

Nono, the opposite. It was meant to be a food allegory: reviews will rot if you don’t eat them, so do them quickly.

You can’t forget lessons you didn’t do yet, take as much time as you want to tune your review pile, but always get reviews out of the way as soon as possible.

1 Like

Ah okay, that makes sense.

I saw that different
Normally when I’ve heard that it was a insult or not caring
“He can go rot for all I care”
Ha

1 Like

Actually, if you keep doing reviews for long stretches of time without doing any new lessons, the new lessons will become easier over time. Doing lessons will become easier. After you’ve gotten used to so many kanji, new ones will, at some point, be slight deviations, differences between them will stick out like a sore thumb. So you can say that lessons can sit there and age and will only become better over time.

Reviews on the other hand will get more difficult if you delay them. Accuracy will go down, because you’ll forget too many of them before you refresh them, and then they will have to be relearned at some point.

If you feel you do too much, cut the lessons. If you feel you have too much leeway, speed up, and if there’s nothing left, practice reading. So you have 3 things to balance: reviews (highest priority), lessons (medium priority) and reading (lower priority).
As you gain levels, lessons and reading practice will switch places. Everything above some level won’t add that much, but reading will help a lot, if only with reading speed at the beginning.

2 Likes

Same!!!
for me it sounded like reviews can go to hell :3

2 Likes

Lol well, they can go to hell, damn them :smiley:

Only then, I could just grab a kanji course book and not bother with SRS at all (and not learn quite as much and as fast) .

1 Like

I still feel bad because of the money I spent on kanji books

Well at least is writing practice

I got Heising and the KKLC. Personally, I don’t think I wasted that cash… Heisig helps a lot, even still now, 5 years after, I still remember the radicals he used, and KKLC is pretty cool actually. Just grab it and see what it says about all those leeches, sometimes it has just the right memory aid to make it click.

1 Like

Oh of course, those are great kanji books, i’ve them as well. I love Henshall with passion

i was refering to a more mundane books, the kind that only gives you the kanji some lectures and then boxes to write them like 20 times. I bought 2 (beginner and intermediate) of those

1 Like