Too many counters

Describing it like “padding” and “patronizing” suggests that there is some kind of bad faith on WK’s part for including the words they do. Whether they ultimately adjust the included words or not, I don’t think it’s fair to ascribe attempted malice or deception to the decision to include a certain number of 台 words.

15 Likes

You weren’t being jerky. :confused:
I also highly doubt you’re just another noob that doesn’t get it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Food for thought:
Sometimes I wonder how much the little level number displayed next to our avatars has an influence on how other forum members “see” us. Every single one of us has to start from level 1 here regardless of our experience with Japanese in real life. Then we all have to progress upward within the constraints of the SRS system, so the speed at which the little level number increases is limited. There’s no way we can judge another user’s real Japanese ability based on that number.

Still, we’re all noobs at one point or other, and regardless, noobs or experts are both allowed to have opinions :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Also… I’ll just point out that what is conspicuously absent is だい itself…

Like, it took me some time before I figured out that the word itself actually means platform and not big machine… (And when I did, a bunch of words like 台所 or 滑り台 started making more sense)

6 Likes

You are absolutely right. I was being kinda mean and judgemental. No I don’t think the creators had any malice when creating the levels. Of course it’s not perfect and I stand by some of my criticisms like including 下がる下げる上がる上げ上る all on the same level. But I understand a little better about why the counter practice is the way it is. I’m glad it was explained to me so kindly.

4 Likes

Yes I realized some common readings and words associated with the kanji were not introduced. It could be just how it’s set up. I guess wanikani assumes people are studying on their own or with a class so the cracks will be filled.

In some ways coming as intermediate has it’s benefits.

1 Like

While it’s not a good indicator of overall Japanese level, it is a fairly reliable metric for how long you’ve been doing the WK specific SRS system and what kind of perspective that provides.

I’ve only recently started noticing that the complaints and comments within level brackets have been fairly consistent and that things that would hold true for say, level 10-20, may not hold up for levels 30-40.

The other thing it indicates is longevity. You’re more likely to see people stick around once they’ve hit 30 and beyond. I’ve seen tons of resurrected threads where the OPs left and never came back.

So its like, I’m happy to see you here and I hope you stick around, but realistically the odds are not in favor of that.

WK Level Distribution

2 Likes

I burned it, but then I reset it immediately LOL.

2 Likes

I’m confused as to the free accounts after level 3

1 Like

That’s the people who reached that specific level and became inactive. Somewhere in that thread that was explained, iirc.

1 Like

I was perusing the thread but it’s quite long so thank you for saving me from that. But it has lots of interesting charts and data so I might still check it out.

1 Like

Hi. Would you be willing to give me examples of posts in the past with this specific complaint?
The reason I made the comment is because I browse the feedback section regularly and have never seen anyone complain about “Kanji having multiple verbs per level”.

Yeah looking at it now my tone was aggressive and I’m sorry. I’ll work harder in the future to be kinder on these forums.

7 Likes

Yeah I’m sorry, I can see now that my tone may have made me look like I was trying to attack OP. I still stand by my opinion that the issue is petty but I understand that everybody’s opinions on WK are important for the overall experience. I’ll work harder in the future to be kinder on these forums.

8 Likes

As an absolute beginner I can confirm that not all of us were comforted by it. I did not like the counting words, although I’ll admit I needed to learn the つ counting style (and 人 and 日 ), so I can’t fault those inclusions.
But 台? A simple ‘this counter uses the loose numbers as you learnt them’ would have sufficed. Same for 月 and 百. But after that they stop (around level 5 I think?) - if a counter vocab still comes by, it’s presented as a suffix, like ~階 , and is the only vocab item for that counter.

It probably helps that by that time WK has covered sufficient kanji to form other words, which might be the real reason some of these are included in the lower levels.

4 Likes

You still have 三百 (さんびゃく):wink:

2 Likes

right! that one was past level 5 - around 9 I think? I consider it a stray :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I suspect that might be intentional; having similar words on the same level means you have to stay on your toes. I find that when I know what to expect from my reviews, it’s easy to zone out.

It also helps introduce the concept of transitive/intransitive verbs to learners who are unfamiliar with it.

4 Likes

Too many MCs, not enough mics.

3 Likes

Counters are great for insulting people in disguise: in my family we now point at each other and say “five machines!”

7 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t2: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Nah, the common complaint is usually about those four verbs specifically rather than kanji in general. I have seen multiple people complain that putting them in the same level was confusing them as they kept mixing one and the other. At higher levels 逃すand 逃がす are a common complaint as well.

4 Likes