Tokyo Olympics 2021: WaniKani Edition (the real date, not the 2020 gun-jumpers)

For example…

or more spectacular…

It’s just an HTML trick.

4 Likes

@Joeni Oh, it was a joke? I thought it was an actual bug, sorry!

4 Likes

A new week, a new level up for team 水 :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Joining the challenge. Like some others im on the skytree and Luminaries one too. Like them Skytree seems so doable that it might not be motivating and luminaries… its possible ill make it if i take full advantage of the “Fast” levels. At my current 7-8 pace though its more likely ill miss it by a week or two. (also who knows if ill have a lull) But, this is much more… realistic. I think ill make it =D.

Joined 地 to balance the numbers. As one does.

Nice to be here.

6 Likes

Nice one! Welcome to the best team here! I’ll you to my personal leaderboard when I get home tonight!

3 Likes

Ill have to live up to that reputation. Extra motivation =D

2 Likes

Congrats for our week 3 level-ups!
This week 3 post for new level-ups counted until 2020-10-14T23:59:00Z.

Team 水 won the third week, with 風 in second place.

6 Likes

A level up for team 風!

FirsthandAdeptGrouse-size_restricted

Level 21, the beginning of the Death levels!

parks and rec chris I'm dead

7 Likes

:partying_face:

@Politeod , I forgot to congratulate you on your level up… I just noticed I hadn’t pressed the refresh button on my leaderboard in two days! You have a nice pace going, keep it up! Would you like to share more about your journey in Japanese learning?

1 Like

やった!! おめでとう :smile:

Go 風 team!

giphy

4 Likes

I just leveled up, actually. :running_man: Hell is drawing close…

I wanted to one day create a study log, also detailing what I have done up to this point, but can’t find the time :sweat_smile:

Long story short, I started learning Japanese somewhere around 2013, because I wanted to be able to read news about upcoming Pokemon games in Japanese magazines without waiting for others to translate them :laughing: At first it was mostly self-study until a friend recommended a Japanese course to me a year later. The instructor was a native who was even teaching Japanese in Japan at one point.

Kanji were always my weakest point so when I found Wanikani (through the wanikani level x labels on Jisho) it made a huge difference, a gamified program like that is perfect for me. I can start doing a lot of things no problem, but sticking to them long term is very difficult. The SRS system is amazing not only at making me remember things but also at getting me to come back everyday and not lose steam.

When my Japanese course ended I was finding it harder to motivate myself to continue learning kanji and a lack of money was also a problem, so I ended up dropping Wanikani around the end of 2015. I came back late last year (and also I reached out to the Japanese instructor for private tutoring sessions). Other than a bit of a pandemic hiccup I’m steadily getting closer to appeasing the Crabigator.

My current goal is getting N3 in summer of next year. And of course getting to 60 by the Paralympics. I will not falter this time :triumph:.

4 Likes

I’m terrible at keeping a study log, but we could do a Team 地 shared log?

I’m sure you’ll get it! You seem to be doing all the right things.

3 Likes

I’ve never participated in one of these threads before. Do I ping a specific team leader? I know my goals is that I’d like to complete all of the crabigator to LV 60 and work towards taking N4 in the coming year (setting at least some reasonable expectations) and starting a study log to improve accountability! I think I’d also need to add my deadline? Which I’d like to go for Gold which I think is August 2021.

I’d love to join @Windgreen - Team 風: :blush:

5 Likes

This actually looks like fun, so I guess I’ll join team 火 and see if I can get to level 60 before the end of 2021. Seems like a fun challenge.

5 Likes

I added you with a goal of Level 60 at a deadline of December 2021, which is in 448 days.
You did say reasonable expectations - the current record speeds are 349 days** and 350 days, so the Olympics deadline (August 8, 2021) from Level 1 is an impossible* expectation, being only 303 days away.

*Impossible because it’s mathematically impossible to hit level 60 in that time!
**From 2019-07-29T09:40:00Z (3 days before their 1st post, which states so) to 2020-07-13T03:09:00Z (Level 60 post) does indeed come out to 349 days, 17 hours, 29 minutes.

Feel free to change this:

• Change the deadline to “9/21” if you’re a speedrunner (incredibly tight - only 356 days). Or, use the same format to choose “10/21” (387 days) or “11/21” (417 days).
  • Change your goal to “鰐蟹” if you also want to complete your Level 60 lessons by the deadline.

Don’t forget to edit the wiki when you level up! 頑張って!

6 Likes

Welcome to team 風! :green_heart: :wind_face: :leaves:

4 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation! I will change my deadline goal to 10/21 to have some forgiveness while also still have the full anticipated days required to move through all the levels.

3 Likes

Good luck speedrunning! You might want to read:

4 Likes

The fire grows!!!

4 Likes

Thank you!! Wind power!!

2 Likes