"to stay behind" needs to be blacklisted for 残す

I recently reviewed 残す and I couldn’t remember whether the meaning was “to leave behind” or “to stay behind”. I eventually decided to guess “to stay behind”. It turns out the correct answer is “to leave behind”, but WK still accepted mine, despite it being the opposite (and part of the trans/intrans pair).

4 Likes

You might want to email WaniKani to request this since they tend not to check the forums.

Also, with verb pairs, the verb ending in す is always transitive. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Nah, just tag… @JenK?

3 Likes

I added ‘to stay behind’ for 残す’s blacklist!

17 Likes

Thanks. I just found another one that needs a blacklist

I put “to write” for 着く and it was accepted, even though the correct answer is “to arrive”, which is completely unrelated.

2 Likes

Ahh I guess they do look similar. Added ‘to write’ to the blacklist.

4 Likes

Can you please blacklist “prior” for 優先? I keep guessing “prior” for 優先 and it keeps being marked right despite the words being completely different. Also, I don’t think “prior” is a plausible misspelling of “priority”, the correct answer.

2 Likes

I’ve added it to the blacklist!
It was accepted as correct because the spelling of it is almost the same as the full word priority.

2 Likes

Just found another one. 作品 should have “product” blacklisted. I completely forgot it, but managed to pass the review anyway by guessing “product” based on the kanji.

1 Like

Ah thanks for bringing it up. Added!

2 Likes

Another one: “to catch” for 担ぐ.

WaniKani really should mention the “す -> する -> transitive” mnemonic. It works pretty much every time as far as I’ve seen!

What’s the mnemonic? If it ends in す and you hit it in する form, it’s always (mostly) transitive?
I also struggle in this department.

The idea is that if a verb ends with す it’s pretty much always transitive! You can remember this because it reminds you of する, which means “to do”, so it’s like you’re doing something to something else.

In contrast, verbs that end with an -aru sound (like がる, たる, まる, etc) are almost always intransitive. You can remember this because it reminds you of ある, which means “to be”, so you’re just being on your own, you’re not doing an action to something else.

4 Likes

I think this works when there is a transitive / intransitive pair, but outside of that, verbs that end in す can be intransitive.

引っ越す
暮らす
Things that end with auxiliary 出す (飛び出す, 振り出す, etc)

And する itself can be intransitive, but I guess that’s another discussion.

5 Likes

That’s a good clarification, thanks!

It doesn’t always work but I think it’s a useful mnemonic to help keep some pairs straight in WaniKani, such as 残す and 残る!

One I’m not sure about: whether 事故 should have “incident” blacklisted. 事故 is listed as “accident” while most of the other 事 words are “incident”, and the match is fuzzy enough to accept both, but the words are vague enough that it is not clear to me whether those answers should be considered correct or not.

I just put “to get hungry” for 腹立つ and had it marked right, which seems a bit suspicious. You might want to look into whether that should be blacklisted.

Ah, thanks! Added to the blacklist!

Just found another one. “pasture” should be blacklisted for 牧師.