TIL 里心 is rarely used

Point taken, and I can totally understand that. But when there is a choice of picking a word which is less frequent and one that is more frequent. It seems like the choice should fall towards the word that is more frequent, ie 里心 vs 里子.

That said, I don’t know at all why this particular word was chosen from the beginning. They might have a valid reason for it, or there might be a slightly more haphazard reason for that choice.

8 Likes

That is definitely sound a sound argument, and WK tends to be open to feedback like that. You can shoot them an email at hello@wk.com about this, and they might add it to their list of future changes. :+1:

Edit: I wasn’t paying propper attention, it’s hello@wanikani.com. ^^

8 Likes

My teacher (who’s Japanese) told me that 里心 means a longing for an old fashioned (in a good sense) way of living. Ah, the good old days! It seems to be a little bit nostalgic too.

14 Likes

Wanikani teaches some words that are very unusual but distinctive, and help in remembering the kanji readings. This is especially true for kanji that only have one or two common words they’re used in, so the WK folks have to do some reaching to find other examples. My impression is they want to have at least ~3-4 words for each kanji if at all possible (to help memory), which is hard when a kanji is basically only used in one common word.

ex: 金玉 is hardly the most important word you’ll learn that uses きん or たま, but it does a very good job at ensuring nobody forgets either.

Personally, I’m fairly sure I would not have remembered さと without 里心!!! I’ll probably never use the word, and yet, the word still helped me out. Cool, huh?

9 Likes

I think it’s difficult to come up with a more distinctive word than 金玉. :slight_smile: Especially with the backstory that comes with it. (As an aside, 金玉 still more frequent than 里心 :wink: ).

Either way, this is not the hill I’m going to die on.

8 Likes

I found this story by @Naphthalene really amusing:

13 Likes

Tell them that you’re trying to “bring it back.”

We could also say that, since the Japanese like using English words on their shirts and such(so I’ve heard),
it’s a cultural thing. They’re using a loan word, instead.

9 Likes

I had a similar experience as you… but with an interesting take away point. Everyone enjoys learning new vocabulary :slight_smile: Not just us crazy wanikani’ers.

2 Likes

How do you say “trying to bring it back (into fashion)” in Japanese? :laughing:

This is it. This is the Wanikani thread.

2 Likes

This is going on my Wanikani bingo

2 Likes

Do you mean topics that are so frequently posted on here? In that case, my bingo card would include the revolutionary “I’m going to Japan, any advice?”, the contentious “this word is not used!!!”, and the tubular “SRS system no work, too slow” threads.

9 Likes

The SRS system is too slow. Does anyone have advice on how I can skip levels to get to 里心 faster to find out it isn’t used during my upcoming trip to Japan?

the poll thread title updates

also when should I start learning grammar?

8 Likes

Something about the poll thread’s parodying of the front page’s topic titles pisses me off, I don’t know why lol

3 Likes

I asked like a hundred people about this word. Almost all of them say they’ve never heard it spoken or read throughout all of their experiences as a Japanese person.

Yes, it’s outdated— colloquially of course. :wink:

EDIT: I just asked 3 people in my office and they said they have never even heard of the word until now. They asked me if I made it up!

2 Likes

I made a post a long while ago about how it IS used, but in a very specific way and not the way that you would just say “I’m homesick”

5 Likes

Countdown to a reply demanding names and addresses of all 100 people who are absolutely unequivocally wrong and frankly dangerous to forum harmony

1 Like

So basically you can only use it in the sense of X made me homesick?

At least, that’s the impression I got from your link

Its more to point out that that it’s almost always followed by 〜がつく

Even two of the three example sentences on Wanikani have it followed by 〜がつく or some conjugation of it.

So a natural way to use it would be to say (or write) something like 長旅「に」里心「がついた」

but it’s not like the hot word of the century.

1 Like

It’s off-topic regarding 里心(さとごころ) in particular, but I feel it’s relevant either way:

It’s also especially funny to me because my own native language is going through the same process.

10 Likes