Things i could do to learn Japanese while waiting the Wanikani Review?

I signed in in Wanikani a month ago but it’s just recently that I’ve taken learning Japanese seriously.
The only things I have still learned are the Hiragana and Katakana and a Level 1 apprentice in WaniKani. The reviews are quite slow and I really had nothing to do everyday other than Wanikani and im desperately itching to do something. So can anyone suggest me what i could do while waiting for it?
I’m planning to read Genki but I wonder if it’s too high level for me.

5 Likes

I might be wrong, but I don’t think so. Genki is made for beginners. If you already know hiragana and katakana, I don’t see why you can’t start Genki. It’s a textbook that’s full of translations and explanations in English, along with romaji to help you along, and it will help you learn about grammar, which you don’t get on WK.

8 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, I’ll start doing Genki right now then.

2 Likes

It’s never too early to start with grammar so if you were planning to go with Genki, I would certainly recommend you start with that now.

We also have quite a lot of grammar articles you can find on Tofugu and we have a great database of other learning resources you can check there too (many of which are free).

7 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I can really recommend Japanese Ammo with Misa on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/c/JapaneseAmmowithMisa)! She has helped me so much with grammar, her absolute beginners playlist is amazing

1 Like

Japanese ammo no misa desu :slight_smile:

1 Like

Her beginner playlist is annoying af. I watch her videos on my iPad and so I have ads. I have to blast the volume to hear properly and then my ears bleed when an ads come on.

I could use desktop with ad blocker but it’s much more comfortable while laying in bed. I still watch them but it’s so annoying!

1 Like

Yeah, I would go through Genki and/or JFZ. JFZ has youtube videos, so it’s fairly engaging.

Also get a 10k deck, voiced sentences for either kitsun or anki. Exclude words that are learned through WK.

1 Like

I’d also recommend started listening.
This may be a bit too advanced for you yet, but here’s a great source for listening practice:

https://nihongoconteppei.com/

2 Likes

It transitions to kanji fairly early iirc, it’s been a few years since I read parts of it myself. But I don’t see any issue starting it alongside WK and then learning the kanji as it pops up, though you’d have to plop those into anki or something unless you’ve already learned them through WK.

2 Likes

I can hear the intro already lol. She made a remake of some of those seven year old videos with bad audio if that might help

1 Like

So, I’ve been coming at it from all sides…

• Wanikani
  • Duolingo - not perfect because it’s difficult if you aren’t familiar with Japanese sentence structure, but great for vocab building.
  • Genki - on my own, at my own pace. Genki 1 is for complete beginners so you won’t have a problem there.
  • みんなの日本語 - with a teacher online
  • Youtube videos - mainly background noise to get myself used to what Japanese sounds like
  • Children’s books like “First Thousand Words in Japanese”

I don’t make a point of trying to remember everything, I basically do what I need to in order to progress to the next stage/level/chapter etc, but using so many resources means that if I’m struggling with something in one, then by the time it comes up in another I remember it and I’m better at it the next time around!

I have just decided to move to Japan early next year, so that is a huge motivation for me. In my line of work, companies that hire international people also give them lessons on site etc as well, so that’ll be great when I get over.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.