The vocab 波 (wave) is read as なみ but the reading mnemonic makes no mention of the word "tsunami"

The one other piece of context is that I happen to know that @rwesterhof is Dutch, and ‘oe’ is the way Dutch people spell the sound in ‘kaboom’ and ‘you’ :stuck_out_tongue:

So no, not like Lake Tahoe, but actually more like ‘tofu’ / ‘tahu’.

2 Likes

Indeed. I think calling it tahoe used to be more popular in Holland years ago because of the Indonesian connection and before vegetarian/vegan food became mainstream and everyone became familiar with tofu. In English you’d pronounce ‘oe’ as ‘oo’, more or less.

2 Likes

Whoops - didn’t realise I’d be spreading confusion. Yes, tahoe is a Dutch spelling - I didn’t mention that (sorry!), it most likely came to Dutch via the Indonesian route. As a kid I was mightily confused how it could be pronounced tow-foo.
Oh, and yes, first time I read Lake Tahoe out loud I did in fact pronounce it as lake tofu. But only the once.

Yes, you still see the tahoe spelling, but tofu is much more prevalent now. 20 years back it was only spelled tahoe I think.

1 Like

Files this away from later purposes as lv 52 is up next! Thanks ^>^

3 Likes

Funnily enough I’ve only used Tsunami to remember 津. Probably because it’s only used in that one word and 波 has quite a few vocab.

1 Like

… tfw you recognize a kanji and its reading from a train simulator of all places.

…yeah, i’ll go stand in the corner and be ashamed of myself.

3 Likes

Is that from トレインシミュレーター山手線?

I think the PS2 one is the only one I’ve played.

Nah, I recognize it from 中津, near Osaka-Umeda on the three Hankyuu main lines. They’re available for BVE, a freeware sim on PC.

1 Like

Nice. :smiley:

Does that one allow you to switch to the conductor as well? My Japanese wasn’t good enough at the time to play that part on the PS2 version.

No - I only know that feature from Densha de Go! Final (2008???) but never really played it there. But you get to see the station names a lot and I like to have the Wikipedia page of the route open to occasionally compare station names. Not the most efficient way of learning to read kanji but it also helps getting a bit of a grasp on geography as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.