Inconsistent reading mnemonic

I was bothered by this for some time, and I finally found examples.

In the reading mnemonic for door 戸 it uses the word toe for the reading と, which already bothered me becouse I always pronunciated toe with a long o.
But in the reading mnemonic for お父さん, WK uses it for とう.

Should I write an email, or did somebody already try to mention it to them?

1 Like

WaniKani likes to use the same mnemonic for any given reading whenever it appears. For と it’s “toe” and for とう it’s “Tokyo”, so the inconsistency is お父さん rather than 戸. I’d say that’s something worth e-mailing about.

But yeah, consistency aside, it’s always bugged me that a word pronounced “toh” is used as the mnemonic for the kana that’s closer to “top” without the P.

4 Likes

The added bonus of using “toe” as a mnemonic for と is that the kana looks like a toe (I used this similarity when learning hiragana).

2 Likes

Yeah, Nakama uses the same mnemonic, It bugged me then, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As for inconsistency, I think it should be reported. I guess it was overlooked since many people would’ve heard this word before.

1 Like

I’m more bothered by the inconsistencies of the kanji and vocab meanings.

5 Likes

I don’t recommend you rely completely on WaniKani’s mnemonics. If you don’t like some of them just create your own ones.

Learning Kanji is all about creating stories that click with you.

6 Likes

Unfortunately thats not a skill I have, I was always bad with mnemonics, sometimes WK-s work, sometimes not, but I have no confidence in my own.

Wrote to the team, they thanked me for noticing it, so it will probably be solved!

1 Like

MAN…I don’t want to be rude but you are level 4. You don’t know anything about mnemonics…yet. No one is asking for poetry here, just write something that makes sense to you.

Spend at least a month on it before thinking that you can’t do it, don’t underestimate yourself. You got this!

3 Likes

I strongly recommend you to just add your own mnemonics-synonyms.

I sometimes do it when the English word is not resonating with me (I add the synonym in Spanish). I also create my own mnemonics, even when I started with hiragana.

At the end it needs to make sense to YOU. Japanese will not test you for the Wanikani mnemonic, it will test that you understand the Kanji,vocabulary and its meanings.

2 Likes

That’s good. Must keep the consistency. It should be “tokyo”. Though, I suspect most people, myself included, didn’t notice this because we didn’t even bother with the reading mnemonic. Almost everyone and their mother knows how お父さん is read.

1 Like

… What? WaniKani didn’t exactly invent the concept of mnemonics. What does being level four have to do with OP’s ability to craft mnemonics?

4 Likes

I never said they did, it’s just that people usually use that for the first time with WaniKani. If I take my example, I never knew what “mnemonics” meant before using WaniKani.

For the level 4 thing, I mean the guy didn’t use WaniKani long enough. He was saying how he didn’t have confidence in himself and stuff. What I wanted to say is that he can’t know if he sucks or not if he didn’t try to create some mnemonics for a long period of time. He gave up before even trying.

It was just meant as an encouragement…

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement, it was well recieved, really! But yeah, I encountered mnemonics in maths and other places and they never stuck, but I will try to make some of my own anyways!

2 Likes

I’ll try, maybe some hungarian mnemonics will shake things up just enought to make them stick :smiley:

2 Likes

I knew that too, I just read every mnemonics becouse some of them are funny (except ofcourse, numbered things that arent exceptions, like 一台、二台、五台)

1 Like

hah! the mnemonic for deliver uses “to do:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
(strangely enough, it worked for me because I was so weirded out by it and I also imagined delivery drivers with a bit to do… but I have to be careful about that pronunciation in my head… and think of someone with a strange accent referring to Dorothy’s dog)

2 Likes