The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!

whaaaaat :open_mouth: i’m overwhelmed but loving this at the same time. thanks for the link!

Looks great! I’m going to be using this. It’s only 1300 cards too.

It’s actually the content and the scanned book in those cards :sweat_smile:

DJT it’s a great site… though copyrights it’s not their strongest suit. :shushing_face:

PS: they have a huge collection of textbooks and tons of novels too :shushing_face: :shushing_face:

Yeah, I noticed that when I used the deck this morning… :roll_eyes:

Well, I’ll remove my post if the WK team is against it being in here :thinking:

I’ve been reading the Bunpro topic just now, so I think this is a great alternative (and the one I’m using for some time) for people that are not much into paying for yet another monthly SRS service :sweat_smile:.

I already have the basic and intermediate book of the series and those are a well of content to review, not so much for reading cover to cover. Having the books it’s great for calm reading whenever having too much trouble to get a concept through, but having them turned into anki deck it’s such a time saver for everything else :star_struck:

What are your first impressions now that you’ve tried it?

If anyone wants to keep track of their progress with the DOJG series here is a nice spreadsheet with all the grammar concepts and the reference for the book :+1:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KaiWpXcsFd9X2_IPaZOTTh5_XgSm2Rbp/view?usp=sharing

I didn’t see this on the list but it’s my primary place to learn online with real teachers, of course it cost $$$. https://www.japonin.com/

HOWEVER, their teachers blog is free and has a TON of free professional native spoken stories
https://www.japonin.com/free-learning-tools/teachers-blog.html

Enjoy!

A question to anyone who owns any of the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar books. Is it noticeable that they were published in 1995? I get that the language itself has not changed much since then but is this publication year a matter I should take into account before purchasing?

I’m most likely going to get the intermediate and advanced ones anyway but I do wish there were newer editions of the books. :frowning:

I have the Beginner one and I like it a lot. I don’t think there’s anything indicating it’s out of date and the layout is also really good.

I fully recommend it.

I have the first book in the series. My biggest complaint is the use of romaji instead of furigana (for when you can’t read the kanji). Otherwise it’s a very good book. The explanations and examples are very detailed and it was definitely worth the money.

Yeah, that’s another reason why I’m not getting the first one. I mostly want to improve my grammar so I ordered the intermediate one and I heard they only use romaji in the first book.

About the DOJG series, the basic volume has kana / kanji as well, romaji in the second line and after that the translation. The intermediate volume has kana/kanji with furigana, then the translated phrase.

https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Japanese-Patterns-Teachers-Learners/dp/4874246788/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GC8RNC9CDZ8MDNDMN5VH

This is a fairly good alternative to the DOJG series. Tons of examples for each grammar point. And the explanation it’s very much into the lines of DOJG series. Worth considering, given the price it’s much lower and the content it’s pretty much the same with no quality compromise that I can tell. Kana/Kanji (+furigana) examples and translation.

A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns
Subs2SRS / Morphman: how to create your own japanese trainer

I’ve been looking at that one as well! Since you seem to own a copy, what’s the entire scope of it? I mean, for example regarding JLPT levels. I’m looking for something past N3/N2 levels so does it go beyond those?

I think it would be more than enough. I haven’t seen any point missing when compared with the DOBJG and the DOIJG (don’t have the third volume though).
I’ts recommended for working towards N2 and higher, so I think would be a good fit. The main advantange for me is that’s ONE book. And sometimes goes a little further than the DOJG in terms of subtleties, without using a particularly technical language.

I’m not aiming at doing the JLPT tests, so I’m not much of a help there… :sweat_smile: … though it’s mentioned and compared (a bit anyway) in this article .

I’m struggling to get any ToC from the book online… but anyway, I think It’s as much a good book as the entire series of DOJG. And if you’re an advanced student maybe the japanese version could prove a challenge as well :thinking: and have that extra punch you need to secure your grammar.

Thanks for the info! It really does sound like a good option. I’m just having a hard time imagining how one book could substitute three books that are all over 700 pages long. :thinking: :joy:

Looking at the book you could easily imagine. Formatting of the pages is key.

• DOJG:
    One column por pages. Double spaces and single lines for some sample sentences. Tables for the grmmar formation examples, then the actual examples and then the notes, where the technical language it’s often used (separate from the simple explanation given at the very beginning)

• A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners
    Two columns per page. Comment (may be or not present), Grammar formation structure, sentences, explanation.

A sample image from the Chinese version of the book so you get what I mean :+1:

I think both are terrific resources, so you can’t go wrong. Just think it’s a somewhat unknown book given the quality and packed content it has (maybe because only translated in 2015?)

Omg yay pictures! I was sad that there are barely any previews/sample pictures online for these books so it’s hard to compare them. Also, 2015 definitely sounds better than 1995 DOJG!

The Chinese one looks cool. I’m actually drooling at the Korean one because that’s my other language of choice. :smiley:

Sorry that I took some time to reply back.

So basically I suspended all the grammar points I have yet to learn and I’m just reviewing the stuff I know. For that it’s perfect. I suspect that trying to binge on new grammar using the deck could be a little overwhelming. I plan on removing the suspended grammar points as I learn them.

I also like how it has 2 type of cards for each grammar point:

• Lesson card - You get a sentence in JP, where you can translate it before seeing the translation and it serves as a lesson to the grammar point being referred. It has a textbook-like explanation of it followed by lots of extra example sentences. This allows you to review how the grammar points work in a pretty fast way.
  • Fill the gap - much like Bunpro, but with some grammar related info added to the front card that allows you to identify the correct answer.

It’s a pretty simple deck, but built in a very efficient way. I think the materials from the books do help a lot too. Actually, this convinced me to buy them. Love those summaries.

Surprised this one hasn’t been posted yet: http://www.japanese-language.aiyori.org/japanese-words-1.html

It’s a bit old in terms of layout, and some parts require the dreaded flash plug-in, but for beginners looking to gain some handy vocab, they have picture dictionaries on the sidebar and you can see Kanji/Kana labels. ~800 words, from things in your living room to Elements, Astronomy, Food, Clothes, Animals, Body Parts, Buildings, Sports, Tools, etc…