The Scandinavikanians

I’ve personally only self-studied Japanese. I mean, unless you count lessons like Udemy as formal studies, but I wouldn’t.

It does seem to me, from what (mostly Americans, from what I can tell) have talked about on Reddit and WK, that Japanese classes in school tend to be quite slow-paced. It’s just my impression though, I don’t know if it’s true.

I took a year of Japanese at SU between HS and my current studies. Figured there was a small chance we might have actually met.

As you say, the pace can be considered a bit slow, but it really depends on what you’re trying to get out of it. We did a Genki chapter every week, I think. Maybe it was every other week. But that was primarily for the grammar part of the course. We also did separate kanji studies, talking practice, writing, listening, and so on. We were also required to take a side course every semester so I also read 7.5 HP of “Dagens Japanska Samhälle” and 7.5 HP of “Japansk Populärkultur”. The courses in Japanese are meant to be all around about the Japanese language.

Swede living in the UK checking in! I’ve been doing Japanese evening classes at the local university, and I do find the pace very slow. I still like to go though, since it’s good to get conversational practice, and since the teacher is Japanese she can answer a lot of cultural questions. I study in my own time as well, since otherwise I would get pretty impatient.

Yeah, you probably want to study more than they teach in a class. I was studying 200% for most of my time in the Japanese program and 250% for a few months and still got great grades in all classes.

That sounds pretty sweet! One chapter a week isn’t slow at all, I’d say. But then it’s also at a university, so I guess some level of quality is to be expected!

One thing I find immensely fun and useful is language exchange meetups. There’s this app called Meetup, where people can basically organize get-togethers of different types and let anyone come. One of the groups active in Stockholm right now is a Japanese-Swedish language exchange group! Every Wednesday they (we) get together, usually at a café, and just chat. There are usually 2-6 Japanese people and maybe 5-8 Swedes. Last week we had a Japanese Curry Night™️ at one of the Japanese ladies’ place. It’s a whole lot of fun!

1 Like

Social interaction is scary

4 Likes

That’s no attitude to have if you wanna become fluent :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For real, I’ve only been to a few of the Stockholm meetups so far, but I already feel like I’ve gotten better at talking. It’s stressful at times, but to me it’s worth it. :innocent:

I don’t mind being fluent only in text :eyes:

3 Likes

I guess everyone’s got their own goals. I plan on getting into situations where I’m gonna have to talk, so… y’know, I gotta.

I’ll learn to speak well when I need it

2 Likes

Greetings from Norway!

2 Likes

That sounds really cool and incredibly scary all at the same time! How did you manage without getting at least 3 heart attacks? :smiley:

@KuzunohaXIV Hejsan, senpai! :smiley:

I have a Canadian friend who’s been studying Japanese at his school for just over 3 years now, and sits around mid-twenties/low thirties level WaniKani, if I had to guess. But he’s also learned grammar and pronunciation so he can speak and write in Japanese fairly well, at a basic/intermediate level at least.

I’m a very outgoing person (“Socially bold”? Maybe?), so I think that helps. I think shy people should be fine too, though, as long as they just do it! :blush:

I would definitely not be fine

1 Like

There are actually a couple of really shy people who show up. They don’t always talk a lot, but they keep coming back, so I guess they feel they’re getting something out of it. Not trying to convince you or anything, just sayin’!

It’s not just about “being a little shy”, some people are simply very introverted or have social anxiety. It’s probably difficult to understand for a very outgoing person. I’m personally very withdrawn, and avoid social interactions most of the time because I’m simply not very comfortable around people. Perhaps @Kumirei is somewhat similar, but I can’t speak for her obviously :slight_smile:

I still think meetups like you’re describing sound like great ways to practice speaking and listening, and not participating in stuff like that can probably be detrimental to the learning experience for those who don’t do them (or something similar). But to each their own, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, as I said, I’m not trying to convince anyone! You do you. Of course I understand that some people would have problems with it. I like it, though. :ok_hand:

Would love to attend a meet-up like that! Ever since moving back to Swedeb three years ago, I’ve barely spoken any japanese at all :confused:

Oh, förresten, jag hörde att det finns en butik med japansk mat vid Södra station. Är det någon som varit där / kan säga vad det finns för roligt?