
I think this thread is pretty tame for the typical “I don’t like WK for x reason”. Most all of the replies can be summed up with:
WK is a kanji learning tool that sometimes teaches outdated vocab or vocab that’s normally kana. They can still be worth learning since they can reinforce the kanji, especially in rare instances when they show up, but it’s not a big deal if you don’t. Remember to turn on vacation mode before you go. ![]()
PS Praise be to the Crabigator.

No I don’ find this a little interesting at all.
I find this really interesting ! This is the kind of fun facts, that is also very useful for memorization. Thanks!
maybe we should have separate forums for:
- wanikani users
- wanikani ultras
Didn’t this already happen with the cult application business a while back? Not sure what ever came out of that…
WAIT WHAT
SINCE WHEN DO PARTICLES HAVE KANJI EQUIVALENTS
I live near a train station that uses 之 for possessive の.
乃 for the possessive の as well.
Are there any others though? ![]()
~sweats profusely~
Things just keep on getting added to the never-ending list of information I need to learn for Japanese…
Off the top of my head, ながら can be written 乍ら.
ばかり > 許り
だけ > 丈
These come up occasionally on Kanken pre-1.
As for 迄, I’ve actually seen that in a government office waiting room.
A few more particles:
だけ can be written like 丈.
And ばかり can be written like this: 許り
edit: are you kidding me, got leebo’ed
I have a real soft spot for English as a second language. I wouldn’t say it’s cute, though it certainly can be, but it has taught me a lot about how flexible language can be. (I also have a soft spot for that old Calvin & Hobbes bit, “verbing weirds language.”)
Anyway that gives me some hope as a Japanese learner, that maybe my incorrectness and oddness has a weird, foreign charm for some people. Also it’s always fun to know strange and obscure things (not that fugu is the least bit obscure imo).
I’m not here to attack or defend; just to make marginally relevant, rambling replies about nothing in particular.
Or my personal favourite Buffy the Vampire Slayer quote “To read makes our speaking English good.”
其れ for それ as well
Edit:
何故 for なぜ
何処 for どこ
I dont think those are particles
Yeah, there are plenty of words typically written in kana that can be written in kanji. We were talking specifically about particles.
Sorry to intrude then ![]()
For particles besides the ones already mentioned, I can maybe think of 位(くらい)
Ah, yeah there’s more than I thought. Mentioning 位 (くらい) also made me find 程 (ほど) and 等 (など). I’m pretty sure I’ve seen all three of these (used as particles) in kanji form at some point.
I guess no need to announce arrivals either. So long intro threads…
I asked around, they recognized 河豚 right away so I assume this is a joke to make a point. But yet another thread looking to skip vocab though, would be easier just to make it native already.
Yeah, but place names are special. Them and their 之s and 乃s and ヶs.