The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

:sweat_smile:

Post cream puff photos in the chat if Yuka’s psyop worked on you!!

I actually wasn’t quite sure what to do with this! Itoh has been literally in Miyu’s corner for matches since they started regularly tagging together, so I sort of just assumed that’s what she was referring to here, though I wasn’t sure if this was the exact expression generally used for that or not. Since Miyu was upset that Itoh wasn’t going to be at the show, it seemed to me that Itoh was referring to physically being there and seconding her during the match. But if the phrase doesn’t necessarily imply that, I might just change it to cheering for her.

Thanks again for all of your help!

1 Like

not as decadent as Yuka’s but still pretty good

I checked the sources I could remember, the wrestling dictionary:

and the parts of the Nakamura biography where he talks about being wedged as a “super rookie” between expectations to second people as a rookie and expectations to not deign to second people as a main eventer, and there it seems “セコンドにいく” and “セコンドにつく” are both used for “to second someone (literally being in their corner supporting them).”

I think I would say probably while 応援にいく might encompass / be a part of セコンドにいく, I think you could 応援にいく for your おし as a fan. I get the impression 応援 is support in terms of cheering/sending energy, or relatively abstract support activities from the sidelines of whatever is being supported. Which fits with figuratively being in someone’s corner, but I think literally being in someone’s corner is more of an actual role with duties in addition to just 応援.
So I suppose we’ll see if Itoh is literally in her corner or not in January (and I could be wrong about all of this either way), but I think probably they’re bickering about like, whether Itoh will show up in general support for her friend, or Naito-style absolutely not bother .

Unrelated to any of that: just for fun, since the issue with it came in today and it will be mid-2023 before I get to it, I filled out my end-of-the-year ballot for Shupro as if I were going to actually send it!

Commentary
  • When I picked Kenoh, not actually really watching NOAH, I was under the impression somehow that he had beaten Kiyomiya and successfully defended the championship – and it appears I was completely wrong about this. Nevertheless! The hair at cyberfight festival deserves it if nothing else, and arguably his column was some of the most consistently I’ve been entertained by men’s wrestling this year. Plus, やっぱり, it is a 朱世界, after all…
  • I was gonna pick Giulia/Tam for best match figuring a longer one might have a better shot at widespread recognition, but I noticed the magazine listed this one with Suzu so I went with my heart and because it was easier to write off of their example.
  • I was a bit tempted to pick someone other than Syuri for the women’s grand prix, since her reign I don’t think storyline-wise has involved as much like, growth and import as Hayashishita’s was, and technically they act like the Red and White belts are the same level so arguably Saya Kamitani has as much claim to it if we’re talking about championship reigns… but nah! Syuri deserves it!
  • I would probable still consider my #1 faction allegiance, so to speak, to be Donna Del Mondo, but God’s Eye is new and great! It’s the world’s nicest badass plus the growing list of her proteges. It’s a perfect faction!
  • I honestly do not like the Mad Max movies so aesthetically they’re not so much for me, but Max the Impaler’s run in TJPW has been oddly heartwarming and certainly has made a big impact there.
    Tama Tonga’s babyface run would probably be the runner-up for me but I feel like that hasn’t ended up going anywhere quite yet.
    I guess Jay White should be the right answer here but I guess I haven’t been keeping much track of the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship this year, which is a bit sad.
  • The only other debuting wrestler who I both recognized and could remember seeing matches from was Juria Nagano, and the choice was pretty much arbitrary.
  • runners-up to 好きなプロレスラー include Hiroshi Tanahashi, Suzu Suzuki, Koguma and Hazuki, like all of God’s Eye, Tomohiro Ishii…
1 Like

Finished TJPW’s December 10 show shockingly quickly! This one was a short one!

The big thing of plot importance was Miyu successfully defending her EVE belt against Rhio in the main event.

After the match, Miyu spoke in English at first (with a little help):

Yamashita: (in English) “Rhio! Thank you so much!” (loud applause from the audience) “I hope you come back to Japan again. Please! See you again next time in the UK, OK? Thank you!” (loud applause for Rhio as she exits)

Her first line in Japanese after that confused me, haha! She said, “あー…ちょっと、私のこと人間だと思ってないみたいよ.” I got a bit of help from Mr. Haku to make sense of this. :sweat_smile:

Yamashita: (in Japanese) “Hey, I don’t think she thinks I’m a human. But I’m glad I was able to defend my belt. That’s a relief! I missed the last Hamamatsu show, but I’m so happy that I was able to come here with a belt like this. Thank you all so much for coming.”

Then she said, “私、12月はアレなんですけど、年明け早々にこのベルトじゃない、東京女子のプリプリを懸けて坂崎ユカに挑戦するんですけど.” I wasn’t exactly sure what to do with that first part?

“There’s this in December, but right at the beginning of the year, I’m challenging Yuka Sakazaki not for this belt, but with TJPW’s Princess of Princess belt on the line. If I win that, I’ll have both the EVE title and the PoP belt, and I will become double champion. I declare riichi! Or checkmate? Anyway, I’m so close, so please keep supporting me. I’ll come back to Hamamatsu, so please wait until then. Thank you all very much!”

In Miyu’s comments, this chunk near at the beginning confused me: “やっぱり力も強いし、発想というか。こうくるんだ、っていうのが多くて。今日も外に投げ飛ばされたじゃないですか。あそこからけっこうきて、動けなくなるのは自分の弱さでもあるし。意表を突かれるのが…ミリーの時もそうですけど、海外の選手とやると多いので.”

Yamashita: “I was able to defend the EVE belt for the second time. But she was powerful, and her way of thinking, or I guess I should say that coming here, she has a lot of ideas. Today, she threw me outside the ring. After a certain point, I couldn’t move, which was a weakness she could exploit. It catches me off guard… It’s like that with Millie, too. It happens a lot when I fight foreign wrestlers. I took a lot of damage there, but I was somehow able to win the match. I was able to land a kick at the end when my opponent couldn’t see it coming, and I think that’s what led to my victory today. I think that’s my last title defense this year, so I’ll be able to challenge at Ittenyon while still holding the EVE belt. That makes me really happy. I’m closing in on the double championship. After that, I will probably participate in the EVE show in England on January 7. I want to beat Yuka-chan at Ittenyon and go to England as a double champion. I have a lot more to look forward to.”

The first half of the second part went alright, I think?

(It’s a short span of time between defenses)

“I haven’t had this feeling in a long time. If I think back on it, when I was the first Princess of Princess champion, I was defending the belt in a very short span of time. Or was I the second champion? Either way!” (laughs) “I really remember that part of it… but I’m someone who enjoys that. I think I enjoy it more when it’s harder, so I’m having a lot of fun now, and even though my body hurts all over, I’ll recover quickly. I want to make the most of my strength and defend the belt again and again. That’s how much I enjoy this.”

Then there’s this whole chunk that the video cuts out, but which shupro has. I don’t think I had trouble with it, but I’m including it anyway just for posterity, haha, in case I made some terrible mistake :sweat_smile:.

(海外からの挑戦を待つ形?)EVEに関しては自分が日本にいる時に海外選手でやりたい選手がいれば来てくれるって、団体ともそういう話をしてて。なので来たいっていう選手がいればできるかぎり日本に呼んでやると。東京女子のスケジュールに合わせながらね。そこで目の前に立ってきた相手と闘っていきたいなと。

(Are you awaiting challengers from overseas?)

“Concerning EVE, while I’m in Japan, if there are foreign wrestlers who want to face me, they can come. I’ve been talking to the company about that. So if there are wrestlers who want to come, I will do what I can to invite them to Japan while keeping to TJPW’s schedule. I want to face whichever opponent stands in front of me.”

(What do you want to do after becoming a double champion?)

“It can be a challenge to hold two championships. It happened in I believe my second reign. I won the SHINE belt in the U.S. and became a double champion. There is a view that you can only see from that position, and it’s something that can’t be expressed in words. It only extends out before you when you’re the double champion. I want to win another belt in the U.S., not just in England. I’m looking forward to holding more and more belts, which is different from how I’ve done things in the past. I think I will be able to show a new image of myself as a champion, not the one that I have shown up to this point. In that sense, I think the Princess of Princess belt is essential for me right now.”

And Rhio’s comments were in English! The video did not include any Japanese translation, which is a little unusual, haha! Sorry to the Japanese fans, I guess!

Rhio: “I enjoyed that match so, so much. Miyu Yamashita is one hell of a champion. Although, I can’t help but be disappointed. I wanted to leave Japan with the EVE championship, take that back home. Unfortunately, that is not to be for today. But I won’t give up on this. Miyu, I want you to come to the UK. I want to fight you in England. For the championship or not, we will fight again. Thank you, so, so much.”

That’s all!

With this translation, I have officially been doing this for an entire year! I’ve translated 62 shows/press conferences/contract signings/etc. over the past year :scream:! 9 of them were for DDT, and the rest were for TJPW. 25 of the TJPW translations were “full text” translations (or as close as I could get). That’s pretty wild to think about!

My goal for next year is to get faster at this and better at Japanese so that I don’t need as much help, haha!

1 Like

I would try to inflect this more with the like, weary catching her breath tone of the original. I think that + the audience laughter + I think she says like ボロボロですが or something like that between sentences in a way that probably didn’t get picked up in the transcript = the “geez! She really gave it to me!” sense that Mr. Haku gestures at with the "I’m so beat up; " – without it it sounds like just a weird thing to say!

It sounds to me from googling around (example, example) that calling something アレ like this is a way to like, vagueify what you would say about it either because it’s not good or you don’t have the right words.
I think I’d probably go with something like “December’s one thing, but” based on that. (which I can enjoy imagining confusing a non-native English speaker in a similar way :sweat_smile:) I would say rhetorically she’s just putting December aside to talk about January here, so it fits.

王手 would appear to be more “check” than “checkmate” - and check would fit better with riichi, as they both mean being one step away from winning (rather than having won already).

I would say that the こうくるんだ、っていうのが多くて。 connects with the 発想. There were lots of times when Rhio’s 発想 ability led her to think “こうくるんだ.” I watched the video on 2x speed, and there were quite a few times where Miyu went for a kick and Rhio braced or dodged, causing Miyu to reconsider, or times when that happened and Miyu still went through with it and got countered for her trouble.

I think the rest is ok. I think the あそこからけっこうきて might be like literally it happens pretty often from that spot (she was put on the corner and thrown out of the ring after charging in with a kick - she gets put on a similar corner in the Millie match I checked just to see if literally the same thing happened, but there she countered Millie and sent her out instead).

(I feel bad for people transcribing Miyu… she talks so fast…)

Where did “feeling” come from? Did the transcription by any chance put 感覚 when it should have put 間隔? :sweat_smile:

Congratulations! :tada:

1 Like

What exactly does “こうくるんだ” mean in this context? At first I thought it meant “come here,” but that doesn’t really make sense with the んだ, and I can’t quite make sense of how Miyu is using it here :sweat_smile:.

Yes, this is exactly what happened! Shupro has: “この感覚すごく久しぶりで.” I thought it was a bit of an odd word to use there, but unfortunately I’m still at a point where I see a typo and assume that the confusion is on my end, haha.

1 Like

I mean… I don’t really know myself :sweat_smile:

I was reading it at the time (I notice now I wasn’t clear who I meant by “she”, sorry about that!) as like, Rhio thinking “Miyu will come at me in this way” with the んだ as like, the inference from context kind of flavor of like, Rhio is able to visualize what Miyu is going to do next from observation. Which seemed to fit maybe.

That said – your mentioning んだ doesn’t fit as an imperative reminds me that んだ can actually be used as a sort of imperative! It’s one I feel like I’ve absorbed from movies without coming across it in grammar study books so much (which seems to fit with this Tofugu article associating it with action movies – I would say the two kinds of んだ I’ve mentioned here are “for Realization” and “for Commands” in that article, respectively)

That said – even then I feel like it would be more like “come in this way” rather than “come here” and I agree it feels hard to see how that connects with what Miyu’s saying.
When I google around for examples of people saying “こうくるんだ” it seems like they line up with my initial impression more. The best example I found is this negative movie review:

バレバレなんですよ、これが。
こうくるんだろうなぁ、という予想通りに展開し、あげくの果てには子供の霊の大暴走

(I blurred the spoiler for the movie just in case :sweat_smile:)

The こうくる in that sentence seems to mean like – it’s going to develop this way / these kinds of things are going to happen.
Like if stuff transpires outside your control – that’s the くる, the outcome comes to you. But the specifics of how it ends up transpiring - that’s the こう

As another example, this tiktok appears to me to be someone challenged to text the 3rd person in their contact list as if the contact were their mom – and they’re surprised that the contact completely played along, texting back mom-style things.
With the caption: こうくるとは、
which I would say is like roughly “omg it went down like this? :scream:” with the trailed off とは as a way of expressing like, shock/amazement/at a loss/ that kind of thing (which I have seen in a grammar book)
The first result for my search was also “こうくるんだ!?” with no context - but the interrobang at least wouldn’t make sense if it were an imperative. :sweat_smile:

So I think I feel okay with my original interpretation. But as always I could be completely wrong about all of it! There’s always the grammar question thread if more opinions would be helpful!

P.S. come to think of it – I suppose if Miyu is the one thinking こうくるんだ it could fit with that surprise these other examples seem to often be expressing - like it’s Rhio’s 発想 in coming up with innovative strategies that causes many points where Miyu’s like “dang I wasn’t expecting it to go down like that, ok”
That might resolve the issue I had with my original interpretation - that the switch to Rhio’s perspective didn’t seem well supported enough.

That’s one case where it helped to be listening to the audio first! :grin: I could form my opinion about what かんかく meant first, so I was primed to catch it.

1 Like

Not a TJPW translation post this time!

I finished writing a short guide to learning Japanese with a pro wrestling focus! It’s based on what I’ve learned over the past couple years. Very little new information in there, probably, to anyone who has been following this thread and/or my study log, but I wanted to put it together in the hopes of saving other folks some time. It’s now linked at the beginning of this thread :blush:.

I shared it on twitter and on reddit (pro wrestling reddit and not language learning reddit :sweat_smile:), and it has surprisingly taken off more than I expected. I guess there is in fact a lot of demand for this!

The other big wrestling news for me is that there are lots of hints that we’re getting very close to a true in-ring Golden Lovers reunion :sob:.

Kenny made the cover of shupro again for the first time in years, and they did a big feature building up to his match with Ospreay on ittenyon. Here’s a translation of it! And yes, Kota Ibushi does come up.

Kota also answered an interview question in English, seemingly by machine translating his own answer and just sending it like that. According to Dark Puroresu Flowsion, Kota always responds to them in English, which is why some of it is a little off. There are some really funny machine translation quirks in it, because Kota’s Japanese is a bit notoriously difficult for machine translation, haha.

They asked him if he still has the desire to start his own promotion, and this is what he answered:

Dark Puroresu Flowsion also posted a photo of Kota, Kenny, and the Young Bucks with their Golden Elite “change the world” shirts and captioned it “I’ll leave this here. Make of it what you will.”

So it’s a little hard to say what Kota’s exact plans are at this point, but I think it’s very, very likely he will show up at AEW in some capacity, though I don’t necessarily think he will sign a contract. He seems to want to keep doing his own thing and freelancing.

Regardless of his specific plans, though, he’s definitely going to be doing something with Kenny in the near future :smiling_face_with_tear:.

The other thing I wanted to mention was Chris Brookes and Drew Parker’s anniversary show, Baka Gaijin + Friends on December 13, which is one of the few (maybe the first?) independent produce shows in Japan to be arranged and booked entirely by non-Japanese wrestlers.

I was going to link the youtube video in here so that folks could watch it, but youtube took it down because they “played the Chainsaw Man theme one too many times” (according to Chris). So instead, here’s a bootleg link (which Chris himself shared on twitter, so I feel like that’s about as sanctioned as you can get :sweat_smile:). Chris vs Drew gets a bit intense, so heads up for that, but the matches before that are easier to watch.

It’s a fun show that made for some pretty pleasant listening practice for me! It’s like a standard ChocoPro show in that the commentary is a mixture of Japanese and English. I noticed that I was actually able to understand quite a bit of the Japanese, and that made me happy!

I also meant to share this a while ago, but completely spaced it, haha! Here’s Yukio Naya vs current KO-D Openweight champion Kazusada Higuchi from DDT’s D-OH Grand Prix tournament! Higuchi’s had a sort of quietly awesome reign as DDT champ this year, and this match was a lot of fun.

I still need to go looking for more TJPW stuff to add to the beginning of this thread, haha, but most of my favorite matches aren’t available for free, unfortunately… They need to be more like DDT and upload some of their bigger matches!

Also, my apologies for responding very late, but I meant to comment on this a few weeks ago:

Yeah the phoenix splash in particular is just… well, I got into wrestling in the first place because of Kota Ibushi (more specifically, I got into wrestling because of a tag team involving Kota Ibushi and a wrestler whose entire career basically happened because of Kota Ibushi :sweat_smile:). So, yeah, I totally understand where Kamitani is coming from there.

I spent a lot of time thinking about the phoenix splash when Kota dislocated his shoulder doing the move in 2021. Kota has always been someone who sort of just follows his heart, and I don’t think he put a whole lot of intent, necessarily, into choosing the phoenix splash for a signature move. I thought I’d remembered reading an interview where he talked about it, but I couldn’t find it, haha.

I did find this quote from a July 2010 interview:

The unshakable will to become a pro wrestler gave birth to a new feverish devotion to his everyday play-wrestling. He threw himself like a fanatic into developing better technique too, and once he mastered back handsprings and backflips, he completed [mastering] moonsaults, Firebird Splashes, shooting star presses and Phoenix Splashes…aerial maneuvers of the highest difficulty. All the same, he didn’t have the courage to try them out against human opponents. So he only did presses [and such] by landing on his feet or the ground. But because he had “wanted to give everyone a show” at least once, he gathered just twenty people around the platform for the morning address, and performed a Firebird [Splash]. The end result was that he broke every bone in the left side of his rib cage…This is where his “Firebird Curse” began.

Joe also wrote about the move in his essay on Kota’s entire career:

More importantly, it’s the move that best exemplifies Ibushi to me: it’s risky and difficult, requiring an unparalleled fine-tuning of the body and absolute focus of the mind, and as great as its damage is in kayfabe, it’s often a ringing of the knell as well. Having your back turned to the ring and your opponent is like throwing yourself into the world blindfolded. You can hope that others will be there to cushion your fall, but in the end, you have to trust yourself and only yourself, even if it’s scary. And after you land face-first in the dirt, you have to pick yourself up after, no matter how much it hurts. As we have already seen, Ibushi is nothing if not the master of burning up and rising from the ashes a hundred times over.

The thing that I think gets me the most about the move is when I think about everything that followed from Kota’s choice to incorporate it into his moveset at the very beginning of his career (he used it in his debut match, even). That move led to him dislocating his shoulder in the Best of Super Juniors final, and then last year in the G1 final.

But it also led to so many moments in so many other wrestlers’ careers. Kenny has brought it out in multiple big matches, including his G1 victory and the match where he finally beat Okada for the IWGP title. He has brought it out a few times in AEW, even, most notably against Jon Moxley in their unsanctioned match in November 2019, when they pulled away the padding on the ring, and Kenny did a phoenix splash off of the turnbuckle and faceplanted directly on hard wood, which he later said was one of the most painful bumps he’d ever taken. Mox hit a paradigm shift and pinned him almost immediately afterward.

I think about that moment all the time, even though I often struggle with watching hardcore/deathmatch type stuff. Kenny was able to withstand broken glass, he could withstand barbed wire, but the one pain he ultimately couldn’t come back from was the pain of a broken heart.

(Kenny always goes for the phoenix splash when he’s most desperate, and he always misses it. Every time.)

And, yeah, with Kamitani using it because of Kota, too…

All of these choices, all of those really rough moments in those other matches, they all stemmed from Kota just so happening to pick that move at the very beginning. It’s so interesting to think about the legacy of a move like that, and how it’s tied to all of these different stories, and how it has caused all of these turning points where if things had gone differently, who even knows what these stories would look like now… Kota would likely still be with NJPW, for one thing.

From purely an aesthetic standpoint, I love the phoenix splash. It takes my breath away every time. It’s one of my favorite things about Kota’s style of wrestling. But at the same time, it’s a really scary move! I guess that gets at the central contradiction of pro wrestling, for me. I am both compelled by it and repelled by it. I want to look at it and look away at the same time.

3 Likes

Finished the December 15 TJPW show! This one was Mizuki’s 10th anniversary show!

They did a “Full of Mizuki Battle Royale” featuring Yuki Aino, Suzume, Misao, Pom, Miu, and Miyu, where all of the wrestlers entered in Mizuki’s old gear, except for Miyu, who could not fit into it haha (Kiso disqualified her for this). This match was so much fun! I think my favorite moment was Misao tricking Suzume into attempting Toy Story 4 with her, then pushing Suzume off the top rope to eliminate her haha.

Unfortunately, shupro didn’t transcribe the comments after this one, and the twitter caption was similarly not helpful :sweat_smile:. I tried just listening to it, but couldn’t really make out much, unfortunately!

Then Moka and Arai teamed up to face Itoh and Rhio. No transcript for these comments, either!

From what twitter gives us, here’s what I had for the first part of Moka and Arai’s:

Arai: “This is my last TJPW event of the year. I still want to do my best next year!”

Moka: “This is our first time tagging since Arai-san won the belt. Tagging with Arai-san gives me so much encouragement! I hope to become as strong and undaunted as she is!”

And the second part:

(Looking toward Ittenyon, what are your takeaways?)

Arai: “I was afraid of fighting foreign wrestlers. But after fighting an overseas wrestler today, I’m not all that afraid about the title match anymore.”

Itoh’s and Rhio’s comments also did not have a transcript, but I… think I might have actually got them? I don’t think Itoh pulled a Kamiyu, at least :sweat_smile:. This is very tentative, and I’m not super confident, despite having Rhio’s English and the twitter caption to help me, but:

Itoh: “We won!” (in English) “We won!”

Rhio: (in English) “We make a good team! Definitely! We should do that more often.”

Itoh: “OK.”

Rhio: “UK, Japan, me and you?”

Itoh: “OK, yes, yes!” (translating) “She says, ‘So, in England and Japan as well, let’s team up a lot!’” (to Rhio, in English) “More?”

Rhio: “Thank you very much for having me in Japan again, I’ve had an amazing time. Hopefully I’ll be back, and hopefully I’ll see some of the Tokyo Joshi Pro girls in England as well, and we can carry on doing what we’re doing.”

Itoh: (translating) “She said, ‘Thank you, everyone! I had so much fun, and I want to come back again.”

Itoh: “And for Itoh: last time Rhio was my opponent, so I’m really happy to be able to fight as her ally today. I want to do something if we get another opportunity.”

The main event of this show was super fun! Mizuki teamed up with Rika against Yuka and Nao. There was a lot of stuff with Rika that was funny, haha. Yuka got so jealous! It reminded me a bit of that one Golden Lovers tag match in DDT where they got put on opposite teams, because just like in that match, at one point, Mizuki and Yuka forget that they’re on opposite sides and start hitting tag moves together. But of course, the Yuka vs Mizuki stuff is the biggest draw here, and they certainly deliver on that. I’d forgotten how intense it feels when they face each other…

After the match, Rika starts off on the mic:

Tatsumi: (to Sakazaki and Kakuta, who are leaving) “Hey, wait a minute! It’s a celebration! Let’s celebrate together! Mizu-pyon, once again, congratulations on your 10th anniversary! I’m so happy that you chose me for such an important 10th anniversary show, and that you teamed up with me, and we got a win together. Thank you!”

Mizuki: “Rika-san, I really put a lot of feelings into who I chose for this match. I enjoyed tagging with you for the first and last time. Thank you so much!”

Then Rika says: “違います。また見たいよねー? 見たいよー! ほら!(「いままでありがとう」の声に)ヤダー!” That “ヤダー” at the end was tricky! I tried looking it up, and I had a bit of trouble finding a clear answer, but someone said that it can be used basically like すごい? So I think maybe it’s along those lines? :sweat_smile:

Tatsumi: “No! You want to see it again, don’t you? I want to see it! Look!” (to the voice saying “thank you for everything you’ve done so far”) “Yes, truly!”

Mizuki: “I want Nao-chan and Yuka-chi to come into the ring, too.”

Tatsumi: “For the time being, we’ll put it on hold.”

Mizuki: "I didn’t really expect anything in particular from Nao-chan. I asked her because I wanted to work together with her since we both transferred to TJPW. But… you kicked me in the face a whole bunch of times, didn’t you? I won’t let that go! And, Yuka-chi, please wait a moment.

Then Mizuki says… this long, tricky chunk, haha! “私はね、いろんなことを一緒に乗り越えてきたSAKIちゃんとデビューして、尊敬できる先輩たちに囲まれて、東京女子に出会って、たくさんの仲間が増えて。そんななかで、プロレスができて幸せだなって思いました。10年っていっても何一つ、応援してくれる人からしたら誇れるようなことはないかもしれへんけど…瑞希はやっぱり応援してくれてる人のみんなのためにこれからも闘ったいきたいなって思ったので、いっぱい応援してほしいなって思いました。これからもよろしくお願いします.”

"I, you know, debuted with Saki-chan, and we overcame so much together, and I was surrounded by so many senpais that I respected, and I happened to find TJPW, and I made so many friends. And I thought, ‘being able to do pro wrestling makes me happy.’ There might not be anything in these ten years for my supporters to take pride in, but… I’d like to keep fighting for everyone who’s rooting for me, so I hope you give me your full support. Please keep supporting me!”

I think I got this next part, thanks in part to Mr. Haku’s live translation thread, but it’s pretty important, so I just wanted to double-check, haha: “そしてユカっち、闘うこともイヤやなってちょっと思ったけど…なんか闘ってみて、いっぱいこれからも組んでいきたいなって思ったし。ユカッチは瑞希のことを分かってくれてて…自分が分からんくなることも多いんやけど、ずっと支えてくれて。ユカッチの…何があっても瑞希はユカッチを守れるって思うくらい大好きです。だから、今回組まへんかったことを許してほしいな.”

“And Yuka-chi, I thought at first that I didn’t want to fight you, but… after fighting you like this, I want to team with you as much as possible from now on. You understand me even though I often don’t even understand myself, and you’ve always supported me. Yuka-chi… I love you so much, I want to protect you no matter what. So, please forgive me for not teaming up with you this time."

Then Yuka said, “コイツ卑怯やなー! コイツはずるいな~。ホントそういうとこやろ、みんな好きなんやろ? これからも仲良くしてな.” I had lots of trouble figuring out to do with this! Especially the “卑怯” :sweat_smile:

Sakazaki: “It’s so unfair! You’re so crafty! You do stuff like this, and we all still love you, huh? Be friends with me forever.”

(The two of them embrace, but Tatsumi tries to pull them apart. Kakuta prompts them, “Hey! Happy happy!” and somehow gets the situation under control.)

Mizuki: “The crowd can vocalize today, so when I say ‘eat hamburger steak,’ please say ‘happy happy!’ with all of your might. Okay? Rika-san, you, too.”

Then Rika says, “聞いたか、お前ら! 絶対だからな!” I stared at that last part for so long, haha, trying to figure out how to translate it :sweat_smile:. I’m a bit pickier about wanting my Yuka and Mizuki and Rika translations to be as good as they can be…

Tatsumi: “Did you hear that, you guys? It’s unmistakable!”

They closed the show with, “Eat hamburger steak!” and “HAPPY HAPPY!”

Mizuki and Rika’s comments after the match were pretty funny. I liked Yuka chiming in from offscreen, haha.

Mizuki: “Thank you very much!”

Tatsumi: “You’re welcome! Being able to get the win together at a show commemorating such an important event… Thank you! Thank you so much for keeping this up for ten years! Above anything else, Mizu-pyon continues to wrestle with a smile on her face and bless us with her presence… For us, as a representative of the otaku, that’s what makes us the happiest. Thank you!”

Mizuki: “I’m glad I got to team with you, Rika-san.”

Tatsumi: “Did I do my best?”

Mizuki: “You helped so much. You were very reassuring. For once…”

Tatsumi: (to Sakazaki saying “You can let go of her now” offscreen) “I won’t let go!”

Then Mizuki says, “また…来世くらいでよろしくお願いします” and Rika replies, “長生きする!” I wasn’t quite sure about this? :sweat_smile:

Mizuki: “Also… in my next life, please take care of me.”

Tatsumi: “You’ll live a long time! Let’s team up for a bit again, for any reason. I’ll team up with you!”

The next chunk went pretty smoothly:

(You faced Sakazaki for the first time in a long time)

Mizuki: “It’s the first time in two years, or something like that? I had some mixed feelings, as it turned out. But she’s the person I want at my side the most, and she’s also the person I most want to see me grow. I wondered what she thought after we fought, but I felt at home next to Yuka-chi.”

Tatsumi: “Why? Isn’t it good to have a day like today once in a while?”

Mizuki: “Maybe it could happen about once every ten years or so.”

Tatsumi: “Your 20th anniversary, huh? I’ll do my best! That’s a promise!” (linking their pinky fingers together) “I want to celebrate your 20th anniversary with you!”

They ask Mizuki about her 11th year, and I wasn’t confident about her first line here: “10年やってきて、胸張って言えてない自分がいて。10年やりましたってことに.”

(Thoughts as you look toward your eleventh year?)

Mizuki: “I’ve been doing this for ten years, and I feel like I can’t say that with pride. I don’t have much to show for those ten years. But, I have amazing people supporting me, and beloved friends at my side, and that makes me happy. There are still things that I have to do in this space, and no one understands that more than me. I’m going to keep running towards that goal.”

(There were a lot of streamers thrown)

“That made me so happy! Moments like that, you realize that you’re not alone. I’m loved by so many people. It’s thanks to everyone that I’m able to look ahead, so I hope that everyone keeps loving me!”

Yuka and Nao’s comments had a few confusing patches, haha. I think I got the beginning:

Kakuta: “Thank you so much! I never thought I’d be involved in Mizuki-san’s anniversary show like this. But she’s super tsundere toward me. That’s why in front of the audience, she has nothing to say, and she only shows her tsun side.”

Then she said: “実際は転校生って言ってくれたけど、転校生として理解してくれるところとか、相談に乗ってくれるところとかいっぱいあるし。頑張ったねってひっそりご褒美くれたりとかすることあるんですよ.”

“To tell you the truth, she called me a transferee, but as someone who transferred here, she’s so full of understanding and advice. It was like she was quietly rewarding me for my hard work. So I think Mizuki-san maybe likes me, or something. The show itself, with the full of Mizuki match and the main event… I saw the atmosphere of the crowd, and I could feel the warmth precisely because Mizuki-san is loved so much. I don’t really set a lot of goals, but I made one: Just like Mizuki-san, I want to celebrate my 10th anniversary, so I’m going to do my best!”

At the end, she said, “ユカさん、今日2人で組んだのが初めてなので、最初のことはちょっとアレですけど…” I wasn’t exactly sure what she was referring to, here, but I think she’s talking about the two of them having a little trouble gelling as a team?

“Yuka-san, this is the first time the two of us have tagged, so the beginning’s a bit awkward…”

Sakazaki: “That’s because we didn’t have a good opponent.”

Kakuta: “Yes, since it was Rika-san, that’s wrong, isn’t it?”

Sakazaki: “Yes, yes, yes! Because it was Rika-san, I was sooo angry!”

Then Nao said, “それが私にきちゃった…ってことですね。っていうことにしておきましょうかね.” I also wasn’t exactly sure what she was referring to here, haha, or if I was translating it correctly.

Kakuta: “That’s why you came over to me, and… let’s just leave it at that.”

Sakazaki: “Nao-chan was fun.”

Kakuta: “Thank you!” (laughs)

The first part of the next chunk went alright:

Sakazaki: “I’m sure that the people coming to the venue and the folks watching it on Universe felt it, but there was such an outpouring of love. It made me so happy, it felt like I was melting. The fact that Mizuki is loved like this, it made me think that if this were happening on a bigger scale, lots more people would have come, but the show still turned out really good!”

Then Yuka said, “だが! だが、でも選ばれなかったことに関してはちょっとあるが…最後卑怯なこと言ってきたから、許してやらんでもないんだが…でも、リカは許さん! アイツだけは許さんぞ.” This was tricky because 卑怯 was still confusing, haha, and I was also having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly how hard the translation needed to go to match her tone here. I know that 許す is one of those notoriously tricky to localize words, haha, so I tried my best! :sweat_smile:

“But… But! I’m still pissed off that she didn’t pick me! Since she said all that cowardly stuff at the end, I won’t let her off the hook! But, Rika? Over my dead body! Not on my watch!!”

Finally, in the last part, I think I got the first half:

(Have you grown as a tag team by fighting here?)

“Yes! In the end, Mizuki has her own special presence. We can fight with a different atmosphere than when we face other wrestlers. That’s good for us, too.”

I wasn’t quite sure about this sentence, though: “その分もいいですし、またタッグ組んだ時に瑞希のこういうところをもっとこう使ったらもっといい連係になるな、とか考えられたので.”

“I was able to think about how when we tag again, if we use this quality of Mizuki more, it’ll make us a better team. I think MagiRabbi will get even stronger.”

And there we go! Just one more show in 2022 after this, and then イッテンヨン!!

1 Like

My listening comprehension isn’t great either, but I think the gist is Miyu declined to ぴょん so the others objected to her Mizukiness, but insisted theirs is just superficial but for her 心がみずき!They ask her what she had for breakfast and I think she says something high in protein (mince?) since I have a vague memory of Miu being disqualified from Mizukiness for a similar reason or something like that (?) and the others I think say they had yogurt? The most Mizuki of breakfasts, I suppose. (after that it’s more of a normal backstage promo) (PS - maybe I was off base here I don’t know how this squares with the hamburger thing)

Looks perfect to me!

haha, no, it’s just regular ol’ やだ! As in (それは)いやだ
In this part: “また見たいよねー? 見たいよー! ほら!” she’s trying to get the crowd to declare they agree with her and they want to see them team together more.
So the person in the crowd saying instead 「いままでありがとう」- that elicits a やだ! Ugh, no way! Because in this context that’s いままで in the sense of… いままで, thanking you for all you’ve done up to now which is pointed in this situation where she specifically wants it to be いまから not いままで.
The crowd is playing along with the joke about her being desperate for it to continue, by teasing her into further desperation.

Oh huh! She’s talking here about like, that SAKI, SAKI. The カワイルド one. She was in the 5 Star GP. Maybe go with all caps on that name then to differentiate her from the many other less capitalized Sakis.

My only nitpick here is in the original I would say the overcoming the various things happened before their debut. Looking at their wikipedia page, it looks like they debuted together as the second class of an idol/wrestler project, where the entirety of the first class of applicants ended up dropping out before debuting. So anyway – I’d say it’s that kind of pre-debut logistics and difficulties etc. that she overcame together with SAKI in this sentence. So “debuted with SAKI-chan, who I overcame so much together with” or something might be slightly more technically accurate.

A nuance here that might be difficult to preserve, is she’s talking to Kakuta/the audience here.

My attempt is something like:
“How underhanded! She’s so crafty!! Truly though, we all love that about her right?”
She’s talking about like, saying really sincerely nice things to Yuka before giving her the mic so Yuka can’t be mad at her. That’s the (joke) 卑怯ness - that nice speech being an underhanded tactic to ensure Yuka and everyone will like her.

In fairness, I feel like Tatsumi was less trying to pull them apart and more just trying to attach herself to Mizuki :sweat_smile:

I would say in the context of things like orders, 絶対 is more like “absolute”. It’s an order, so the audience had better heed it and take part in the cheer!!
“That’s an order!” would probably fit perfectly fine.

I think I would say it’s more like – よろしくお願いします to the extent of また来世. Like, Thank you for the help, let’s work together again… next life!
As opposed to like, 来週 or 来年 or the like if they were going to work together again this way sooner.
So Mizuki’s “You’ll live a long time!” is like “Nooo!! We’ll live a long time!!” (so that’s too far in the future)

I think I would say in context this is more like “I think you want to celebrate your 20th anniversary together!!”
It’s a pity the transcript looks like it cut off:
:dragon:: や・く・そ・く で!
:rabbit:: こわい

I suppose there’s probably no great way to get this across more, but I thought I’d mention that she says the “But she’s super tsundere toward me.” super sarcastically, like a full-on lean in and extra emphasis on ほんとうに to make it clear she’s joking, in a fake bragging sort of way.

Also – I didn’t mention before but I noticed in ring when Mizuki started talking about Nao Mr. Haku had “I have nothing for you” and you had something like “I expected nothing from you” and I didn’t mention anything at the time since it felt like a plausibly ambiguous には, but I would say Mr. Haku’s interpretation gets additional support from connecting up to what Nao’s saying here - “that’s why in front of the audience, she has nothing to say to me” - she’s explaining that moment with a joke.

She’s still running some with the joke of explaining away Mizuki’s outward coldness towards her as tsundereness here (the “ことあるんですよ” is VERY jokingly insistent),
so at first I interpreted this I interpreted it too fair in that direction I think, so I’m a bit turned around,
but I would probably still just put “transfer student” literally for 転校生 – Mizuki is 生え抜き and Nao isn’t and I don’t think that’s a term used outside of schools, so I’d say it’s a term of endearment (or maybe condescension depending on your perspective / how it’s used) for a non-生え抜き wrestler in this case, calling them literally a transfer student.

And to be clear I would say the one 転校生として is Nao, and the one 理解して is I think Mizuki, as in like, speaking as a transfer student, she understood me / she understood my transfer student perspective, or something like that. (this is where I got turned around incidentally, at first I thought this whole chunk was leading up to the って but I don’t think so anymore)
“as someone” → “speaking as someone” is the one word I’d insert into yours I think to clear it up, it’s worded a little ambiguously.

(the later part has a sincere tone, incidentally, confirming she was joking not about the Mizuki being kind part, just the tsundere part)

Yeah pretty sure this is that “アレ as intentional vagueness to say something wasn’t so great with discretion” that I think has come up before. I’d say it would be similar to saying like, “At first it was a little…” (but that might not be clear enough in a transcript without a tone of voice)

Yuka: “I got really mad!”

Kakuta: それが私にきちゃった…ってことですね。
“and so that got directed at me, is what you’re saying”

The leaving it at that, is leaving “Yuka walked over and directly attacked Kakuta” as “Yuka let her anger at Rika teaming with Mizuki get the best of her and it just happened to end up directed at Kakuta. Oops! しまった!” :sweat_smile:

What’s probably confusing is Yuka is the type of person here whose go-to deflection is to pretend “being nice to me” and “卑怯” are synonyms, like in English a friend who responds to sincerity with “WOW RUDE How dare you be nice to me!!” in the kind of not serious tone where you can tell they’re a good friend and are happy about it too. very tempted to tag somebody here :grin:

The other confusing part is: 許してやらんでもないんだが
The やらん here is like a smushed やらない
so if you think of it as: 許して(やらない)でもない
it may be clearer that it means like, “it’s not that I won’t forgive her / I might forgive her”

Putting it together – Yuka was mad that Mizuki didn’t choose her to be her partner, but because in the end she came to the ring saying those underhanded (read: extremely nice) things, Yuka’s going to end up having to forgive her.

That’s where the でも comes in after: Mizuki might be forgiven, but Rika? No way!

I think I take this more as like along the lines of something like:
“Fighting Mizuki has a different atmosphere (for me) than fighting other wrestlers, and that’s a good aspect, so when we tag together again I can point out things to bring this or that out more from that perspective”

1 Like

Thanks for your help as always! :blush:

You should totally tag them!! Drag some poor unsuspecting soul into the weird and wonderful world of Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling!

misao_shoko_let_s_do_this_fair_and_square

1 Like

Oh, all I meant was I suspect @valkow would agree that being friends is the height of 卑怯さ :sweat_smile:

As translation advice, of course.

2 Likes

DE8y

reaction eternal foes

2 Likes

The December 24 TJPW show was a small one, as far as translation work goes, but I got really distracted this weekend trying to work on translating stuff for the BJW Shakespeare shows, since the DVDs I ordered just arrived! I’ll make a separate post about those later! I have a non-WK friend helping me track down some of the people on the cast list whom I couldn’t identify from the back of the DVD, haha. We’re trying to get the card/cast for each show translated, and Romeo vs Juliet also came with what appears to be the original program. It’s way more work than I can handle, at this point, but my friend has been translating that, too!

For TJPW, I had some help from Mr. Haku’s live translations again. The main event was an 8 women preview tag match (Yuka, Mizuki, Shoko, Suzume vs Miyu, Itoh, Misao, Moka), which Yuka’s team won.

She started out with, “…3人とも、ありがとう。最高すぎた。助かった。いや、お前(山下)とか大っ嫌いだけどさ、仕方ないから。年末最後だし、上がってこいよ。お前以外なら快く、なんだけど.” I had a bit of trouble with that last sentence there, haha! I cheated by more or less using what Mr. Haku had :sweat_smile:.

Sakazaki: “To the three of you, thank you. That was too good! You saved me! Well, I really hate you (Yamashita) and all, but that can’t be helped. It’s the end of the year, so come on up. The rest of you, I have nothing against. Yes, this December 24 was our last show of the year. Lots and lots of people came, and truly thank you all so much! We haven’t said ‘Merry Christmas’, have we?”

Then she said, “今日はな、イブだから浮かれパンチですが。わしさ、ちょっと今日マイクダメだ…” I couldn’t exactly make sense of the line, but Mr. Haku had, “I’m too high off of Christmas I can’t speak Mizuki,” which did seem to be the sentiment. I also wasn’t sure about Mizuki’s part, but then he had more or less what I had, haha, so maybe it’s just a bit of a strange thing for her to say? :sweat_smile:

Today is Christmas Eve, so it’s a big festive punch. I’m not so great on the mic today…"

Mizuki: “Wait, I’m also not particularly… I got it! Everyone wants Santa to come, right? I’ve been a good girl, so please be my Santa. Please! Watching Mii-chan and Yuka-chi fight made me think ‘Wow!’ so can I give the mic (to Yamashita) for a bit?”

Yamashita: “I absolutely will not lose next time, at Ittenyon. Today is the last show of the year. Merry Christmas! It’s a day for everyone to get together. So come on in!” (all of the wrestlers gather in the ring)

Sakazaki: “Do you have any regrets this year? Everyone, do you still have work to do? Forget about work!” (laughs) “It makes me happy to see you all on a day like this.”

She closed with: “Thank you all for your support in 2022, and I look forward to seeing you again in 2023!” And the last show of the year came to an end with a shout of encouragement and then a single synchronized clap.

Yuka’s team’s comments weren’t too bad, though I went down a romanization rabbit hole trying to remember how to romanize “マジラビあんず”, haha.

Nakajima: “Last show of the year! Merry Christmas! We won! It was a hard-fought win, as you’d expect.”

Sakazaki: “No, no, it was really the power of having someone to help you out when you’re in a pinch.”

Nakajima: “Today, I really felt the champion’s strength… I say that because I’m the one who lost (the belt) to her, but I once again experienced the strength of the champion. It made me want to do my best, too, in all sorts of ways from now on. It feels like the year is ending on a good note.”

Sakazaki: “I hope happiness is delivered to everyone.”

Nakajima: “Please deliver it!”

Suzume: “I’m so happy to be part of the MagiRabbiAns. I tried my best not to drag them down.”

Sakazaki: “Good assist!”

Suzume: “You helped me so much, and were really dependable.”

Sakazaki: “Promising, promising.”

Then Mizuki said, “今年いっぱい試合みんなでできて、また来年ってみんなに言えてすごい嬉しいなって思うし.” I couldn’t figure out exactly what she meant by this, so I wasn’t confident in my translation, haha.

Mizuki: “I’m really happy that we were able to have so many matches with everyone this year, and that we’re able to tell everyone that we’re doing it again next year. Next year, Yuka-chi will be gone for a bit, so I won’t be in the tag team tournament. But in the meantime, I’ll do my best to shine brighter than anyone else. Good luck! But you have to defend your title first, huh?”

Sakazaki: “Yes!”

(This was the last preview match)

“It’s been a while since I’ve felt this while fighting, and suddenly… that was the moment I realized that this was going to be an even more heated match than the first CyberFight Fest. So with that expectation, please look forward to Ittenyon!”

In Miyu’s team’s comments, I think there was only one main thing that gave me pause. Things started off alright:

Yamashita: “It was really fun teaming up with the three of you in the last match of the year. But we lost the match, so I also have some frustration, personally. There’s a part of me that knows everything about fighting Yuka-chan, and she’s so strong. But I was so fired up! I will definitely defeat her at Ittenyon. I want to win the PoP belt and aim for three titles!”

Misao: "I also have an opponent at Ittenyon… it’s become an annual tradition. I’ll be having a singles match with Nakajima-san. Today was supposed to be our one and only preview match, but my first strategy was a bit… I don’t want to say it was a failure, but…

Then Misao said, “まぁイッテンヨンは今日の中島さんの乗りやすさを見て考えられることがあったので”, and I wasn’t quite sure what to do with 乗り!

“Well, concerning Ittenyon, I had some things to think about after seeing Nakajima-san’s incredible energy today. I want to win!”

Miyamoto: “I’m really disappointed that I lost. I’m going to do my best to get stronger next year. Ittenyon is Uehara-san’s debut match, so I will try my hardest to bring out the best in her.”

Itoh: “I still have GCW left this year, so it’s a bit hard, but I’m going to do my best. Itoh will leave her claw marks in the US and come back to Japan and do (Ittenyon’s) rumble, for the PoP. Well, Itoh is determined to win, but so is Yamashita. So, let’s do it. Let’s make a pact!”

Yamashita: “OK”

Itoh: “That’s what I’m talking about.”

And that’s it! That’s the last show of the year! I’m fully expecting them to do a press conference before イッテンヨン, so when that happens, I’ll try to jump on that as soon as possible, haha.

Oh, also, for anyone who has been watching TJPW this year, they’re collecting fan votes on twitter for the best matches of the year. Since I have a public account for once, I’m thinking of suggesting things for the first time, haha. Here’s what I’m currently leaning toward:

1. Miu vs Miyu in the Tokyo Princess Cup
  2. Misao vs Sanshiro Takagi at Grand Princess
  3. Rika, Aino, Max the Impaler vs Aja Kong, Raku, Pom at Wrestle Princess

I still haven’t committed to my third choice yet, though, which is why I haven’t submitted anything :sweat_smile:. I have a hard time making decisions like this, so we’ll see if I actually manage to get any sort of vote in on time…

I’m really looking forward to the week of shows at the beginning of January! Lots of exciting stuff happening! :blush:

1 Like

Yeah, the お前以外 seems to still be directed at Miyu while the others come into the ring along with her, if you were wondering how that got to “the rest of you.” Just sounds better in English that way.

I think the transcript and Mr. Haku’s version both stumble slightly here from the nature of live transcription (and to be fair her point is that she’s not speaking coherently so it makes sense!).

I found (or rather, google found for me by correcting my search for ‘“浮かれパンチ” とは’ with a prompt) an explainer for 浮かれンチ as a phrase that seems to make sense in context, meaning like, getting caught up with something, 調子に乗っていること. So she’s caught up / amped up in the Christmas Eve moment.

It says “昭和の頃に使われていた言葉なので、現在生活していて耳にする機会はほぼないでしょう。” but also that it apparently derives from 関西弁 so I could see both Yuka using it and a transcriber making the understandable mistake (especially as a prowrestling transcriber!) of putting パンチ.

As for Mr. Haku’s version, I think he missed a comma. I don’t agree with “I can’t speak Mizuki” (Mizuki isn’t saying anything) but I do agree with “I can’t speak, Mizuki.”
She’s commenting on how she’s not forming a train of thought or catching her breath for a proper promo, so she’s handing it off suddenly to Mizuki.

well… she did protest she might not be super coherent either after all I guess :sweat_smile:

I would go with “I” rather than “we” here - she’s describing her personal reflection that it’s a joyous thing to have so many matches with everybody and say “また来年!” to them as that good thing continues into the next year.
I’d say the みんな here is the other wrestlers here / in TJPW, not the みんな meaning the audience, since she’s not addressing the audience, she’s backstage and talking to the other wrestlers.

My feeling is that she’s talking about Shoko’s easily falling for Misao’s trick at the beginning of the match (getting everyone to put on a santa hat and cheer as an opportunity for a sneak attack). It was only after the plan worked quite well on Shoko that later the other members of her team intervened and rescued her. And 乗る can mean like, being tricked / going along with something.
So 中島さんの乗りやすさ is like, Nakajima’s being an easy mark for Misao’s trickery. That’s what Misao observed and got her brain wheels turning.

I had a little trouble finding examples matching the exact use without the results being clogged with car reviews and the like, so I picked something to fall for from the weblio definition best matching the sense and added that to the search to find this article which appears to be a ranking of the zodiac signs by おだてに乗りやすさ - i.e., their susceptibility to flattery.

1 Like

I finished my traipse through oldish NJPW and the second part of that Shinsuke Nakamura biography to close out the year!

Wrestle Kingdoms VI through 10 and 中邑真輔自伝 KING OF STRONG STYLE 2005-2015

My general thoughts about this stretch of years in NJPW and Wrestle Kingdoms in particular, is that it’s like watching more and more elements slide into place to make the “New Japan” and the “Wrestle Kingdom” that I remember and know and certainly have affection for still today. From big obvious things like the arrival of The Rainmaker, to subtle but surprisingly impactful things like the format of the “X vs Y” in the corner overlays and commentator name info boxes getting fully set in stone. It seems like every one of these shows had 2-3 different things like that. “oh, Suzuki Gun’s here now”, “Hey, Yano’s got his DVDs!”, “ah, Bullet Club’s turned up (albeit with Jeff Jarrett and a weird early logo)”, etc. at different stages and points throughout. All the way up to the last match I watched (Nakamura’s last in New Japan) being the first I saw on this run with Milano Collection AT on color commentary (though it seems like he probably did other shows in this span I think, or maybe I overlooked him - the most consistent color commentator throughout these seemed to be Soichi Shibata, a Tokyo Sports reporter).

Watching particularly the last few of these Wrestle Kingdoms almost back to back on subsequent days was… a lot! but surprisingly not all that draining, as it certainly gave a decadent holiday off sort of feeling, and these shows are pretty much just… really really good. I definitely tended to get bored in the earlier matches, but the format of a Wrestle Kingdom show with not all that great but at least kinda interesting things like the New Japan Rumble, or three or four ways for the Jr. Tag championship and things like that, building to a stunning wildcard or two in the midcard, and finally a capper with a Nakamura Intercontinental match and a Tanahashi heavyweight match – it’s gotta be the perfect iteration of a “Wrestle Kingdom” show and what they’re going for. So no matter how drained I was, it the final matches would always pull me into some form of excitement, and then it was easy to be curious what new or unusual things would turn up in the lower card of next year’s show.

One general thought across the board: by george that Tanahashi just walked directly out of a concept page for an ideal archetypal pro wrestler didn’t he?? He headlines every single one of these 5 Wrestle Kingdoms (and closes all but one) and boy, something about him climbing to the top rope while the crowd is going absolutely bananas just makes it feel like the world at least got everything right for just a moment. He can play air guitar in the ring afterward for as long as he wants and the crowd and me will be happy.

I was going back through these with an eye towards Nakamura, but inevitably that meant essentially following Tanahashi through the same span as well, and I think I watched every singles match between them on NJPW World in this time period, and would happily watch any more if they were to exist (maybe… someday…). I think what makes their dynamic work so well is that, reductively, it’s an exceptional talent vs. a unique talent. Tanahashi’s clearly absurdly well suited to be the face of a pro wrestling promotion, and had just about as orthodox path to that exact spot as you could have. While Nakamura was thrust into a spotlight in the worst time for the company and had to earn his confidence slowly over time, only at last now, having proved everything he needed to prove, leaning fully into his own style and his own interests, taking the intercontinental belt just as a canvas to make into his own thing. They’re both great in completely different ways.

I’m kind of bouncing all over the place in organizing these thoughts - but I’ll touch on the book briefly (it was to be honest, overshadowed by the shows I originally started watching because of the book - it’s more of a collection of website columns than a capital-B Biography, and reads like it, but is pleasant enough and has some good tidbits), since one thing that especially amused me from this last chunk is he compared wanting to be the Ace derisively to Captain New Japan - declaring yourself a superhero - and said he had no interest in it. (other bits from this last chunk of the book I remember is there’s various bits about how he’s comfortable talking to foreigners and feels especially at ease in foreign rings showing something they haven’t seen before - which helps explain the WWE decision which was still in the future at the time of the book I think, and he describes strong style as like, processing your anger, at your place in the world or society or anything, by using it in the wrestling match - or something like that, I should have made better note of the page to quote it better. Also, he said YeaOh is like, a meaningless sentiment that’s a sneaky way of just deferring to the audience to do the work of deciding what he means :grin:)

Again, bouncing around, but on the Nakamura/Tanahashi subject, one non-Wrestle Kingdom show that I got pretty emotional watching is their last singles match together, at the finals for G1 Climax 25.
I think I’m confident enough to say it’s probably the first full pro wrestling match I ever saw. The deceptive small/intimate feeling of 両国国技館 matches my memory, the gear of both men matches my memory (I remember thinking no combination of Nakamura with solid red or black pants and red or black armband felt quite right to my memory, so red pants with black stripes down them and a black band makes sense!) (and my first impression of Tanahashi was, I recall “look at this goober and his silly hair” – I was very Nakamura biased at the time), and the result (Nakamura not actually winning) also matches my memory. And the timing makes total sense! I recall that Seth Rollins cashing in Money in the Bank at the 2015 Wrestlemania got enough people I knew of tweeting about wrestling that I thought for the first time I might eventually get into pro wrestling, and I know that I was definitely searching out Nakamura matches in my last, most stressful semester of college in fall of 2015, so if I was searching “Shinsuke Nakamura match” on dailymotion or whatever in Fall 2015, it would certainly make sense if the first result were the G1 Finals from August.
So I think it was my first match! And it was honestly really wild and kinda profound to watch it again with an astronomical boatload more context, from everything I’d seen between the two men in watching the years up to this point, to knowing with future knowledge it’s their last match, to stuff like oh, Chono and Mutoh are on commentary and I know who those people are and know what they’re saying to each other. It wasn’t remotely on my radar at the time that that match would arguably lead to all of ~ this ~ (gesturing). In retrospect too though, they got me good! Although Nakamura doesn’t win, it’s structured pretty much perfectly to rope in a nascent Nakamura fan, because at first the crowd is behind Tanahashi, but he behaves dominantly and a little heelishly for a long time, making the crowd solidly behind Nakamura by the time he gets to do cool stuff. If my perspective at the time was “I want to see Nakamura do cool stuff” then it’s no wonder it tricked me into watching the whole match, getting into the drama of it, and then clicking on another match to see Nakamura win.
It’s also just a great match between the two wrestlers who have meant the most to me at different times in that like, most raw “look up to” kind of way, in the sense that I used both of them as motivation to get through low times in my life, and it makes sense at which times: I looked up to Nakamura around the end of college when I very strongly felt the need to define myself and figure out what my own whole deal even was, and I wore a Tanahashi shirt under my interview clothes some years later when looking for a permanent position to replace my contractor job - partly since it was the closest thing to an undershirt I had, but also because: genuinely who more says “hireable” than Tanahashi? That guy’s passing the interview no matter what the position even is.
Again - both great in completely different ways. And it was nice to go back and see that with that later developed dynamic of my own fully in play instead of just “this guy seems kind of cool but I don’t know anything about wrestling, maybe this one’ll be interesting?” like it was at the time.

Anyway! I guess that ended up being mostly what I wanted to say, which was mostly just about that one match not on any of these actual shows, so I’ll try to close with tidbits and then anything else that stood out about the Wrestle Kingdoms themselves.
The non-Wrestle Kingdom Nakamura matches I watched that stood out were an intercontinental title defense against Naomichi Marufuji (his Shiranui is so cool! Add him in with Shiozaki and Mutoh in the pile of “current NOAH wrestlers I learned to appreciate more by watching them fight Nakamura”) and another one against Shibata, with whom he had plenty of his own history with as well.

Oh yeah! One last thing I have to mention is the phrase セルリアンブルー burned its way into my vocabulary organically via these shows, since the first one or two times I heard it I was like “what was that? From the tone that sounds like it was someone’s catchphrase” to then on the next show “hey! they said it again! and there’s different people in the ring this time!” to finally “They must be talking about the mat” - and sure enough.
It’s as in synecdoche for New Japan like “I can’t believe AJ Styles is stepping onto the cerulean blue mat!!”. If you’d asked me before what color the mat in New Japan was, I’m embarrassed to admit my answer would have been “what? I have no idea” even with all of it I’ve watched. Now I know it’s CERULEAN BLUE.
I’ll have to listen out for it at 2023’s Wrestle Kingdom… I feel like they’ve since stopped saying it so much or I would have noticed it before, but who knows! Maybe my listening comprehension and volume of New Japan consumed just hasn’t been up to the task to this point!

Anything that stood out about the individual shows:

Wrestle Kingdom VI
This one has the debut of “The Rainmaker”!! … in a lower card match against YOSHI-HASHI, to little crowd interest, capped with an AWFUL zoomless rainmaker pose that has an awkward “I’m gonna get ya” feel moreso than an “I own the world” vibe like it should, leading into a Rainmaker-style NON-LARIAT with zero impact that looks awful. Oof! I took a clip of this and watched it like dozens of times because it’s so so bad knowing with hindsight what a Rainmaker “should” look like.
… And yet, he truly Rainmaker Shocked me because at the end of the VERY SAME show he challenges Tanahashi for the belt, a challenge HE WILL WIN, and by Wrestle Kingdom 7 he’s a former IWGP heavyweight champion, a G1 Climax winner, a Best Bout winner, and now a Tokyo Dome main eventer. I genuinely don’t think it is possible to be all those things in a shorter time..

An early match features the young lion Kyosuke Mikami. Hey, I wonder what ever happened to him, and why El Desperado is listed as a related page…

The last two matches are a non-title “Genius vs. Genius” match between Keiji Mutoh and (Stardust Genius era) Tetsuya Naito, and Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki for the Heavyweight title, and I feel like this is the last “prehistory”-feeling Wrestle Kingdom in retrospect, I suppose mostly just because I’ve known Minoru Suzuki for too long as a “doesn’t need a title to be extremely threatening” type of wrestler, so maybe it was different at the time, but it was hard to see him as a major threat for Tanahashi in the main event of the Tokyo Dome. Tanahashi’s gonna close out the show, you know?
That and there’s quite a bit of other promotions on the card as well (like Mutoh from AJPW at the time and Shiozaki and Marufuji from NOAH in the Nakamura match). I think an aspect of “Wrestle Kingdom” in my head vs. “イッテンヨン in the weird MMA times or the Yukes era” is that in my head Wrestle Kingdom is very NJPW centric, and seeing the cavalcade of other promotions almost as much in the spotlight was a surprise. – Which is to say I think this is the last one that feels like that.

Wrestle Kingdom 7
This one has Nagata/Suzuki and Makabe/Shibata as strong midcard matches, as well as a kinda weird but fun triple threat for the jr. heavyweight championship between Prince Devitt (still non bullet club), Ibushi, and Low Ki of all people, in full Agent 47 cosplay for some reason (his pants 100% split as it appears to be a real suit he wrestles in).

The Intercontinental match, Nakamura vs. Sakuraba, is I think an interesting one, and very good. Of course it’s more MMA-feeling, but I think it captures some of the sudden turns that do seem fun about MMA, and Sakuraba always seems cool to me even though I don’t really care about MMA.

And the main event is the first Tanahashi / Okada dome main event and I thought it was just outstanding. I didn’t check very carefully beforehand who was winning these, so I got it in my head that Okada was going to win this one, which gave me very powerful GO ACE!!! feelings when Tanahashi won. Obviously I’ve talked plenty enough praise about Tanahashi at this point, anyway.

OH I NEARLY FORGOT!!! The REAL highlight of Wrestle Kingdom 7 is Ayumi Nakamura is there in person to perform 風になれ for Minoru Suzuki’s entrance!! This is obviously the most exciting musical guest a pro wrestling show could ever have. It’s great.

Wrestle Kingdom 8
This one has the arrival of Bullet Club, as well as the Young Bucks, who were strange to see from a present day context (even of course knowing they would be here eventually).

Sakuraba and Nagata have a weird MMA-tinged match ending in DQ with a couple of Gracies. Boooo.

Kojima wins the NWA Heavyweight Championship here (from some guy I don’t recognize). Go figure! The man’s accomplished.

The standout midcard singles matches are Goto/Shibata and Ibushi/Devitt, with the latter ending with the arrival of a mysterious masked man!! It very much felt like an “I’m a time traveler” moment to be like “DON’T YOU RECOGNIZE EL DESPERADO??” to the commentators who had no idea who this guy was - it’s his debut! Pretty cool!
Also Prince Devitt has a lot of body paint here and tbh it’s way cooler to me here as just a guy with a bunch of body paint than any of the “The Demon” stuff in WWE ever was.

This is the one where the fan poll decided the order, and so Naito vs. Okada for the heavyweight championship goes on second-to-last, with Tanahashi vs. Nakamura for the intercontinental going on last.
And I mean… well, yeah. Having gone through all this up to this point, the poll (which I’ve heard plenty about in the context of explaining Naito’s deal) now just seems like an obvious pretense. Naito and Okada at this point, sure, they were both very promising wrestlers and were arriving at being stars. … But it’s Tanahashi and Nakamura. of course that’s going on last. Admittedly I might have biased myself though by focusing on the latter far far more than the former in this process.

I don’t really remember a lot about Naito and Okada – I think I remember feeling that it was interesting Okada’s style (long match slowly building) does already seem very fully formed.

I remember really liking Tanahashi and Nakamura, naturally, but the GO ACE!!! energy was muted for me this time since he beat Nakamura… in the same way I was surprised Tanahashi won the previous year, Nakamura being so associated with the Intercontinental belt and having it off and on through this entire stretch made me not realize how it’s really a handful of different reigns with stuff like this losing it to Tanahashi and winning it back again shortly after interupting it.

Wrestle Kingdom 9
Oh boy, it’s the first New Japan Rumble.

reDRagon and Time Splitters take me back…

Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazushi Sakuraba is another interesting one - they treat it like a really big deal, and Suzuki’s even gone with a full white color scheme and died his hair!

The Junior Heavyweight match is a standout for me: it’s “The Cleaner” Kenny Omega vs. Ryusuke Taguchi (doing some kind of Simon and Garfunkel thing?). Kenny Omega’s done plenty of great things and all but there’s really something special about The Cleaner - it’s so cheesy and over the top but fun top to bottom. And it was interesting to listen to the commentary as they talked about like - his transformation and how he can speak good Japanese but has stopped. I feel like coming in when I did and with everybody going (understandably) over the moon for Kenny’s heavyweight matches in a few years, it was easy to just think of Omega popping into existence with The Cleaner and only later on learn about anything before that.

Nakamura vs. Ibushi and Tanahashi vs. Okada are both of course incredible. I think Nakamura/Ibushi is one I definitely saw way back when (and had less profound differences in how I experienced it now than the one I talked about at length - it’s just a really good match). And Okada leaving in tears at a loss was an interesting and surprising sight to behold.

Wrestle Kingdom 10

The ROH connection really shows itself here, with The Young Bucks and Ricochet and company doing the stuff they were famous for at the time, The Briscoes winning the inaugural CHAOS 6-man championship with Yano, and an ROH world championship match between Jay Lethal and Michael Elgin… I guess it is better than the TNA partnership older Dome shows had (that comprise all the matches missing from NJPW World…) but it’s funny how things change…

The Jr. Championship is again awfully good with Kenny Omega vs. KUSHIDA - that’s surely the unexpected match (i.e. that I didn’t know to expect beforehand) I was most excited to see.

Oh my god, Shibata vs. Ishii for the NEVER!
I tell ya, I was gonna remark that my equivalent of the “I’m impressed but yikes! I have mixed feelings!” sentiment described about the phoenix splash would probably be the humble headbutt (which Giulia seems to love) - but her “one person controls the other’s head and drives 100% of the movement” seems positively comfy compared to Ishii and Shibata’s “just both run into each other head first” approach here. It’s an awfully good match but maybe not the best idea in the world… Especially given what happens a year or two later…

Similar to the Ibushi match at the last show, I definitely saw Nakamura vs. AJ Styles in the past, and felt similarly about it now. It felt kinda cool to tie the threads together though… The way I remember it, I watched this match (now graduated and unemployed) and then immediately after or the next morning or something, saw the news that they were both leaving for WWE. Then I got a WWE Network subscription and started using my vast anxious freetime to watch lots of wrestling as background for when Nakamura turned up, and the rest as they say is history.

And the main event is Tanahashi vs. Okada again, and again it’s great. Okada gets to finally close out one of these. He’s… not as amazing at it as Tanahashi but he does fine! Gedo being around to help him made me realize that losing Gedo is probably Okada’s major “character development” in the time since, and honestly it seems like a bit of a downgrade, since Gedo’s helpful as the hype man here, but hey.

And that’s that! When I look at my notes, it appears that Wrestle Kingdom 11 was the first Wrestle Kingdom I saw in full (I think pirated, apparently on January 5th 2017), and it appears at the time my thoughts were mainly that everything up to the main event wasn’t that interesting but Kenny Omega and Okada really did a great job at roping me into the drama even though I didn’t care about them going in and had no background. I remark that people had been rightfully praising it a huge amount - I assume I was looking at reddit.
The only other wrestlers I mention are Guerrillas of Destiny (I was impressed by them - particularly Tama). Looking at the card, I know I knew who Cody was at the time, but I guess I just didn’t mention him, and I’m surprised I didn’t mention Hiromu/KUSHIDA since I know I loved a match of theirs, but apparently that was later at Dominion. I also 1000% forgot I apparently saw an Adam Cole match before he was in NXT. 11 being the first one with Ingobernables Naito also makes me realize how fresh the act was at the time I was getting into things, which makes Naito’s whole arc as I’ve experienced it make a lot more sense. It’s really easy to assume whatever was happening when you came in must have been happening for a long time beforehand, so that not being the case I can all the more understand Naito fans’ excitement around his dome championship shots.

Reflecting on it, I’m genuinely shocked that the timespan is so short between this stuff - it feels like I got into NJPW long before Omega was main eventing (and I guess I sort of did in the form of the Nakamura stuff but I mean in general), and that there would be a much longer time between when I fully got into it with the G1 Climax that year and when stuff like AEW seeds started forming, but it really isn’t very much time when you look back on it like this. I suppose it’s the huge changes in my context in how I approach the shows at every stage from then to now that makes it seem like a much larger span of time.

I’m not gonna rewatch 11 or any others beyond this. This was surprisingly a really fun and fulfilling little historical backtrack! I feel like I tied two long-loose ends together at last, and was able to do it in part thanks to my cool language skills!! Commentary and the book to anchor things and provide the excuse to start definitely is what made this be viably fun, I think.
Since it felt rewarding to fill in the blanks in my recent context for a promotion that I follow that means something to me, maybe in the new year I’ll think about watching some old Stardom… or perhaps there are other things I’ve been meaning to go back to… :eyes:

Also, I have two other Nakamura-related books, so I’ll probably try to knock them out while all this is fresh in my head before moving on to another wrestling book about something else.

P.S. something I remembered I forgot to slot in, is I was impressed doing this how Nakamura’s transformation over the years feels like a natural seamless growth. I would have assumed originally that like, Nakamura suddenly got cool one day. That kind of thing. But rather I think the Nakamura at the end is the same as Super Rookie Nakamura, he just made the journey and let more and more of himself through until he’d accomplished and outgrown enough that chasing 刺激 and たぎる was the most interesting thing left.
The reason he can lean into that style and fun is the same reason he had to be resolute to defend his sudden place in the spotlight when things were precarious:
「一番スゲエのはプロレスなんだ!!」
That part never changed.

bonus thoughts on タカタイチデスペマニア directly from my notes document

I belatedly paid for this PPV on NJPW World, since the Shupro pictures from it reminded me it looked definitely like a match worth the 30 bucks or whatever it was.

And it was! This was definitely a one-match show for me (although the one with Maika was of interest too, and seeing Great Sasuke ‘in person’ so to speak was nice – although I didn’t do a good job reserving non distracted time to watch them), but it was an awfully good one match. It’s not like it was the most mind blowingly crazy deathmatch ever or anything, but El Desperado’s match all but completely coming off definitely elevated the feeling of seeing something special, and stuff like the kiss underlined that even further.

At the time I had recently taken the JLPT N1, and I’m still not sure how well I did at all, but I tell ya, watching the in-ring promo after the match and hearing in his own words Kasai emotionally tell Desperado to cut out the “I’m prepared to die” thing, because he’s a great wrestler who still has so much to accomplish and he shouldn’t think like that in any way, was pretty great and made me remember that oh right, I’m getting what I want out of this whole language learning thing regardless of any test result, and made me feel content.

The four promotions I can most claim to be “following” all have big shows coming up (or already happened) around New Year’s and the fourth (as I’m sure many more do…)! And I used one of my “floating holidays” at work for イッテンヨン since if that’s not a holiday, what is.
I’m most looking forward to when Stardom Dream Queendom gets uploaded to Stardom World! I’m doing a pretty good job of avoiding twitter and the like until then.

2 Likes

You’re in for a treat with that Stardom main event

1 Like

I avoided reading this until after I saw the show (and it was a treat!) but do be careful, please! :sweat_smile:

I’m glad I started being careful to make the big Stardom shows into events this last year, and avoid spoilers beforehand as much as possible, but it does make the time between when they happen and when they go up on World a tense waiting game of hoping I don’t get surprised by a youtube thumbnail or twitter e-mail or something, and second-guessing any clues that do slip through, even innocently vague ones.
I should probably look into going the PPV route next year! (although I suppose that just reduces the time from “less than a week or so” to “a day or so” since I wouldn’t stay up to watch them anyway)

1 Like

週刊プロレス No.2206 (from around late September)
(I’m experimenting with taking notes as I go instead of trying to recall what I remember, which is proving pleasant enough but probably makes these even wordier)

There’s a (very) long interview with Yuji Nagata on the occasion of his 30th anniversary as a wrestler.
They talk about various stages in his career, like making the decision between amateur wrestling and professional wrestling when he saw his ceiling in the former, and feeling some frustration at Manabu Nakanishi remaining ahead of him in the 序列 in New Japan even as he made advancements.
They talk about how he won the 2001 G1 Climax, but then on New Year’s Eve, lost in an MMA fight at an Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye event to Mirko Cro Cop in 21 seconds, and then at イッテンヨン a few days later lost to Jun Akiyama in a GHC Heavyweight challenge shot. He says a fan was kind to him afterward outside the event, and then shortly afterward the news broke that Keiji Mutoh and Satoshi Kojima and others were leaving the company, so that solidified that it wasn’t the time for him to be sad at the losses but to brace for the storm coming and weather it.
They talk about a returned Riki Choshu calling Nagata a 「天下を取り損ねた男」 and he expresses confusion at what exactly Choshu meant by that, what he considered 天下 and how one was to 取る it in such a tumultuous time in the company. And he defended the IWGP Heavyweight Championship a (then, pre-Okada/Tanahashi) record 10 times, so wouldn’t that qualify to some? In any case, the phrase seemed to resonate with people so he used it on a t-shirt so he’s glad about that.
He expresses some pride in staying with New Japan across those 30 years, saying that leaving is easy but regretting is easy too, and in contrast to the many wrestlers through those years who have left only to come back with a sense of superiority, his 意地 stubbornness meant that while he contemplated quitting a couple of times (in 2005 and in 2015 when he wasn’t on the Dome main card) he stuck through it. And similarly he says he doesn’t want to retire until he feels like he’s done, and he doesn’t feel done yet.

In Naito’s column he talks about wrestling Zack Sabre, Jr. recently and enjoying it, saying that Zack is a “嚙めば嚙むほど味が出る選手” and Naito’s ハマってる’d in the “ザック沼”.
Shows were canceled in Fukuoka and Beppu because of a typhoon, and when the rain calmed down Naito says he took a rental car all the way to Saga Prefecture since it’s the only one of the 47 都道府県 he hasn’t personally had a match in, so he just wanted to check out a venue there because of his 会場マニア. It sounds like he also traveled around in his off hours to multiple Hiroshima Carp games. さすがですね.
The main topic is Keiji Mutoh’s retirement road. Naito was a big Mutoh fan before he became a wrestler, and he talks about how Mutoh saying in 1999 that because of his knees, “this championship run might be my last” (which ended up completely false, but Naito was taken in at the time) led to Naito traveling to a lot of shows that year, including his first plane ride, and seeing Tanahashi’s debut at Korakuen Hall. He says then in 2002 when Mutoh left New Japan he felt betrayed and got rid of his Mutoh memorabilia, but he’s definitely his 一番あこがれたレスラー from his fan days. He isn’t interested in himself having a(nother) match with him though, as he’s focusing on trying to get to the main event of next year’s イッテンヨン.

In Kenoh’s column, he talks about 異種格闘技, because he’s been collaborating with various martial artists from different disciplines on his youtube channel, it sounds like. The famous example of 異種格闘技 is of course, the Antonio Inoki vs. Muhammad Ali, pro-wrestling vs. boxing match.
He talks about how it’s all down to the rules of the match in question which discipline comes out ahead. He says 総合格闘技 (MMA) is the discipline with the closest rules to pro-wrestling, leading some pro-wrestling companies to wonder if they should hold MMA events. “プロレスを理解していないように考えてしまうぞ。”
He says the difference between MMA and Pro-wrestling as disciplines is 技を受けるところだ (you don’t say), in the sense that pro-wrestling values taking your opponent throws at you and making it a game of endurance: 相手のすべてを受けた上で倒すのがプロレスの美学.
(he loses his championship in the match recap right after this, I assume it hadn’t happened yet or they woulda joshed him about it)

I like this picture of Suzu hoisting Starlight Kid by her own 「天罰完了」 petard.

Giulia’s column is about her upcoming singles match with Suzu Suzuki that’ll be at the finals of the 5 Star GP and has been slowly building for around 10 months since Prominence showed up in Stardom.
She speculates that the reason Stardom scheduled it for the 5 Star GP finals is to make it not lean entirely on the connection from another promotion, but to pull Stardom’s fans into it with additional Stardom drama as well.
She says she’s ニヤリ watching Suzu fight so many Stardom wrestlers in the tournament and build more and more excitement and きっかけ for further feuds, especially after Suzu scoffed at the tournament at the press conference when she and Risa were announced for it.
Giulia’s looking forward to it. (Me too! Even though it’s the future and I already saw it…)

The history column talks about two 1973 matches between Seiji Sakaguchi and Johnny Valentine. The first one it sounds like was quite bad, very much a 無気力試合, where Sakaguchi lost in the last fall to a 20-count ringout and then didn’t bother even returning to the ring afterward. Nagare says “当時の観客は「ブーイング」という手法を持っていなかった” so they expressed their disappointment with shouts of 「なんだよ」 and the like, and that makes me wonder if he means booing wasn’t popular at wrestling events in Japan in 1973?
Anyway, the revenge match later that year sounds like it made up for it.

Looks like Hikaru Shida won the International Ribbon Tag Championship with Ibuki Hoshi, a promising 19-year-old wrestler.

Maki Itoh performed as a guest at a SKE48 idol show with Yuki Arai. It was a bigger stage than she ever performed at when she was an idol, so she was nervous. She says that the friendship with Arai lasting the 3-4 minutes of the one song is quite enough. And she has no plans to pick the idol road back up from here.

Hideki Suzuki’s column is about him being scheduled to wrestle for a プロレス殿堂会 show. Sounds like it’s a Hall of Fame where the shows benefit retired wrestlers.
It sounds like the organizations still more or less getting off the ground, and is maybe being criticized by some for nepotism and that kind of thing. Suzuki recommends transparency in the organization’s finances and not worrying about pleasing everybody.

The editors’ Eye column is about “プロレスは思い入れのジャンルだ” and talking about how the upcoming Giulia vs. Suzu Suzuki singles match is expecially exciting from that standpoint, recapping the history between them (of Giulia’s sudden departure from Ice Ribbon, and Suzu’s own departure a couple years later). The editor talks about how, as an old-schooler put it, wrestlers and the press have a 共犯関係 since reporters need to interview wrestlers on a hot streak, and those interviews build the story up and produce more 思い入れ. “百人いれば百通りの見方ができるのがプロレス” and although since leaving Ice Ribbon, Suzu’s opportunities for interviews have decreased a lot, the editor likes to think that 共犯関係 is alive and well with these two and wants to see their s姉妹対決 realized with a lot of 思い入れ.
(Since this ended up being my favorite match I saw last year, in large part because of being there for every part of the build up to it over like a whole year via these magazines, obviously I agree)

In questionable portmanteau news, The industry column is about how this year the Glocal Tag Tournament (sic) will be put on by a board of regional promoters, including Kyushu Pro Wrestling, 2AW, Osaka Pro Wrestling, Michinoku Pro Wrestling, and Ryukyu Dragon Pro Wrestling, featuring an opening show at Korakuen Hall and shows in Osaka and Fukuoka.

3 Likes

edit: These have been claimed :slight_smile:
Hello! I know nothing about pro wrestling, but I recently came across 3 Japanese pro-wrestling magazines in a free stack of magazines. If anyone would like them and lives in North or South America (to keep shipping costs down) I’m happy to send them to someone who will enjoy them. Hopefully this is ok to post here!

Details and such to keep this post from being long

The magazines!

Since WK doesn’t allow messaging (or maybe doesn’t allow me to message? :person_shrugging: ) I’m able to privately talk on the Natively forums (I’m cat there) or can figure out some other means. I’m planning to send them at cost to myself, so no need for money to change hands. I would want some sort of private communication to keep your address safe though!

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind offer!
For additional context, it looks like it’s specifically these three issues, from 2017 and 2018 (linking to Booklive versions where the table of contents can be previewed):

No.1917
No.1918
No.1971

(I’m not interested myself since I already have far too many of those magazines that I’ll have to figure out similarly what to do with someday myself :sweat_smile:)

中邑真輔、残念無念…WWE王座奪取ならず

:sob:

2 Likes