The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

First, I wanted to mention that TJPW uploaded an English subtitled version of the presser with Yuka’s graduation announcement, and I watched it mainly to see the translation quality because I was curious who they have doing this sort of thing. I don’t think it’s Mr. Haku, because the wording is a bit odd at times, and he’s typically really good at avoiding that.

In any case, I think we did a better job, honestly! 英訳共鳴、イチバン!

In other news, I finished the second half of the May 5 Korakuen show! (If you’re still busy, rodan, don’t worry about getting around to it right away. It’s already late and I don’t think it’s super pressing, haha)

The semi-main event was Suzume vs Rika, which I thought was a great match. I was rooting for the bee, but sadly Rika wasn’t going to let Suzume beat her again. Maybe next time… :smiling_face_with_tear:

In Rika’s comments, her second sentence confused me: “いままでやってきた時は、多分どこか余裕があって。今日だって楽勝で勝ちたかったんですけど…けっこう追い込まれたなっていうのが正直な印象で.” (I think the post-match comments for both of these matches are transcribed in the recap linked above)

Tatsumi: “Well… she was strong. The way things had been going until now, I probably had some leeway. Even today, I wanted an easy victory, but… my honest impression is that she really pushed me. I felt firsthand how strong she’d become. So this win is a very important one. My defense road continues, for a long time… I think I’m just going to have to keep defending for the rest of my life. And I have an opponent I want to fight when the time comes, so please don’t take your eyes off of me yet.”

(You didn’t shake her hand at the end?)

“Of course there’s respect, and there’s love.”

This sentence was tricky: “私がこの道に引きずり込んでしまった相手でもあるから.”

“My opponent was someone whom I pulled in to walk this path. She’s such an important opponent, but… I recognized her strength, so I didn’t dare to shake her hand. I hope we can fight again someday, and shake hands then.”

Suzume’s comments were easier:

Suzume: (sitting on the floor with tears streaming down her face) “I came to TJPW because I admired Rika-san. There were times where I wondered if it’s okay for me to be here among such sparkling people. But Rika-san shows me new dreams time and time again, and I yearn after her every time. And the audience always supports me, no matter how many times I make them feel frustrated. So, because of that, I don’t think I can give up on anything. I won’t give up chasing after Rika-san, and I won’t give up on the belt. I have a view that I want to show. I hope we can fight together again. That belt that suits Rika-san the most in the world, please keep defending it. I will challenge you again.”

The main event was Mizuki vs Sawyer Wreck, which turned out to be a blast, haha. Sawyer looked super powerful and Mizuki looked like the biggest underdog imaginable against her. The hardcore spots really added to it and made Mizuki seem extra tough.

After Mizuki won, Maki Itoh came out and challenged. This is probably everyone’s most anticipated opponent for Mizuki (except I want Rika more), though I was a bit shocked to see it happening this soon. Which is funny, because Mizuki and Itoh both commented on it taking too long to happen, haha.

In any case, here’s the post-match. I had some help from Mr. Haku on this part:

Mizuki: “I defended it! I was worried because this was my first time facing such a big wrestler, but I wanted to give her a full taste of what TJPW had to offer so I did my best… she was strong! But, the fact that I could beat someone like Sawyer means that I was stronger than her, even if only this time. I’m going to keep defending this belt, so please keep following me!”

At this point, Itoh arrives.

Itoh: “I am here! I’m here to challenge for the Princess of Princes belt!” (An “Itoh” chant breaks out)

Mizuki: “Maybe I’m late in saying it, but aren’t you late in getting here, Itoh-san? Years ago, you said that if I won the belt, we’d have a title match. Well, years have passed, and I finally did it. I’d be very happy to fight you. Let’s do it at Ota-ku in July with the belt on the line!”

Without saying a word, Itoh puts down the microphone and stands in front of Mizuki. Mizuki raises the belt, and Itoh raises her middle finger and they separate. Itoh leaves.

Mizuki: “It was thanks to Itoh-san that I became able to use strong words like this. Ever since losing to her for the first time in the tournament, I’ve thought that I absolutely have to win, and I don’t want to lose to her. I’m going to keep defending the tag belt and the singles belt, too. Let’s spend the hot summer together!”

She closed the show with “Eat hamburger steak!” and “HAPPY HAPPY!”

Here are Itoh’s comments:

Itoh: “So the Princess of Princess title challenge, Maki Itoh vs Mizuki, is set for July 8 at Ota City General Gymnasium. Two years ago, I got a direct win over Mizuki in a singles match, and won the tournament. At the time, Yamashita was the champion, and precisely because of that, I challenged her at Ota City General Gymnasium, but I lost. So I’m definitely winning this next one.”

I couldn’t figure out this sentence: “で、普通にいまのままいっても…まだ確証が持てないので.”

“Even if I go on as usual… I can’t be sure yet. It has just been decided that I’ll go to the U.S. around May 19 or so. I think I’ll be staying in the U.S. and training until the Fukuoka show (June 25). I’m sorry, everyone, but I have to do this in order to win the belt. I’m going to the U.S. to train for a bit. Sorry. The Itoh fans will probably miss me. But this is something I want to do to achieve my dream. People who can’t follow me, you don’t have to do it. I have to win that belt, so I want to get stronger. That’s why I’m going to train in America. I will do my best.”

(Why did you challenge at this time?)

“Originally, Mizuki won it at Ariake, and I was already thinking about it. Then she won the tag belts in Los Angeles, and I was thinking about it even more. At that time, her match with Nao Kakuta had already been decided. And the next one Sawyer Wreck set on her own. So this was the shortest amount of time I could do.”

(What is your view of double champion Mizuki?)

“I know that it took her a long time to finally win the white belt. I genuinely think she’s amazing. There must be a lot of pressure on her, and she must be very resolved. That’s why I want to go to America and get stronger so that I won’t lose to that resolve.”

Mizuki’s comments:

Mizuki: “I defended it! I feel so relieved now. This was my first title match against a foreign wrestler, and she was really big.”

This sentence confused me: 'とんでもないの組やがったなって思ってたんですけど."

“I was thinking that she was an impossible opponent. I could feel her strength, and I think I’ve become a level stronger. I’m happy that she was able to experience what TJPW is like.”

(Was there a hardcore aspect?)

Mizuki’s answer for this next one confused me a bit! She said: “はじめ取り出された時にやばいって思ったんですけど、木曽さんが止めてくれたからちょっと安心したと思ったら…イスに突っ込まされて。そして途中でイスがリングにひろがってるのを見て、やばいって思って。でも、やられるならよりやった方がいいと必死になりました。そしたら痛かった…(笑)。もうハードコアはごめんです.”

“When she took them out at first, I thought ‘oh no’, but Kiso-san stopped her, so I felt a bit relieved… and then she threw me into the chairs. Then I saw the chairs spread out all over the ring, and I thought ‘oh no’. But I thought it was better to be the person doing it than the person taking it, so I got desperate. And then it hurt…” (laughs) No more hardcore, sorry."

(By defeating a wrestler with such a hight disparity, did you gain confidence as a champion?)

“Yes. I really did. I was so full of anxiety because I was fighting someone I didn’t know and I didn’t know what she could do. I felt that all of the experiences I’d accumulated up until this point hadn’t been in vain. I somehow managed to win this time, so that gave me confidence.”

(Concerning Itoh’s challenge)

“I probably should’ve nominated Itoh-san to be the first challenger… I’ve had that thought running in my head this whole time. And then Itoh-san came forward, and it feels like it’s finally happening. Doing Mizuki vs Itoh at such a big venue like Ota-ku, in the main event with the belt on the line, it feels like a new wind is blowing for us. To keep that wind blowing, I absolutely will defend my belt.”

(Itoh said that she is going to the U.S. to train)

“I’m afraid of her growth during that time, but I don’t have just the singles belt; I have the tag belt, too. I’m growing super fast right now. I won’t lose.”

(You’ll be able to concentrate on the tag belts until Ota-ku)

“That’s right! As long as there are no interruptions, I will focus on the tag belts. Though our next tag team challengers haven’t been decided yet. Both belts are important, and the belt I hold with Yuka-chi is very, very important. So I will do my best to stay double champion.”

And finally, Sawyer’s comments were in English!

Sawyer: “It was a dream come true. I obviously wish that I had come out on top, but it was a beautiful experience to be able to have that match in Korakuen Hall.”

(How was Mizuki as your opponent?)

“Oh my goodness. That’s a tough bitch! I kicked the shit out of her and she kept kicking out. She just kept kicking out. She has a fighting spirit.”

And that’s it for that show!

There’s not a whole lot to translate for the VOD, and I don’t think tonight’s show has a lot, either. Yay!

1 Like