The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

Finished translating TJPW’s January 29 show!

Strangely, the comments are back to normal now for some reason? Boo, I liked having another set of transcripts!

This was the tag tournament semifinals. First up was Moka and Juria vs Miyu and Itoh. The rookies’ put up a good fight, but their miraculous tournament run ended here.

Juria and Moka’s comments were pretty easy. Hooray!

Miyamoto: “We made it to the semifinals, but our opponents today were really tough. Losing is really frustrating. But through the course of this tournament, I think I’ve grown a lot as a tag team with Juria-san. I want to keep going and win as much as possible in the future.”

Juria: “Since we made it this far, I wanted to go all the way to the finals and win, but… our opponents were the strongest, and they destroyed us. I got beaten up so badly. Even though I gave 100% of the power that I have now, this was the result. I also had Moka-san’s help, so I’m disappointed… I think this might be the limit of what I’m capable of now. I want to keep teaming up with Moka-san, and become an even stronger karate tag team.”

The main event was Miu and Rika vs Shoko and Misao. I was very much pulling for the hero and kaiju here, and they managed to win! Yay! I like both of the teams in the finals, so it’ll be really hard to watch one of them lose, but it’s impossible not to root for Misao and Shoko…

Once again, I had Mr. Haku’s help on the closing out the show promo, which was great because I ended up following his lead on how to translate 根性.

After the match, One to Million, who will clash with them in the finals, appeared at the entrance gate.

Nakajima: “…So, you guys won. Why are you trying to look cool lurking in the back?”

Misao: “So, the finals are us, Kyoraku Kyomei, versus you guys, right?”

(The other two step into the ring)

Nakajima: “Today, I became sure of one thing. Hero + kaiju, this combination is absolutely unbeatable!”

Misao: “You who’ll be squaring off against us, hero and kaiju… do you have guts?”

Nakajima: (to One to Million, who are talking back without a mic) “A bunch of guts? Got it. Then it’ll be Team Guts vs Hero + Kaiju. It’ll be fun, huh? What, you got something you wanna say?”

Misao: “We’re Kyoraku Kyomei, and you’re… a bunch of guts? Is there anything you want to say?”

Itoh: “Can I speak, then? …Who’s the cutest in the world?” (“Itoh-chan!”) “Thank you very much!”

Misao: “It’s the winner’s job to close the show, and that’s us, Kyoraku Kyomei!”

Nakajima: “Your song’s gonna play!”

Misao: “Go on, get out of here!”

Nakajima: (after One to Million has left) “I have one thing I want to say to you. I lost my belt last year, but I think the reason I didn’t lose like last time was because I had a superhero by my side. I’m counting on you.”

Misao: “Needless to say, I trust you more than anyone, and believe in your strength more than anyone. I think that we, Kyoraku Kyomei, can definitely win this tournament. Thank you. I was able to win today thanks to being at your side!”

They closed with, “We are Kyoraku Kyomei!”

Misao and Shoko’s comments were as entertaining as always:

Misao: “We made it past the semifinals!”

Nakajima: “We did it!”

Misao: “We beat Daydream!”

Nakajima: “Finally winning… Well, we’ve had a few matches against those two, even a title match, but I don’t think we’d ever been able to beat them before. I’m really happy with today’s win, and I really want to get results with this team. I think today is one good result. If we go on to win the tournament after this, I think the belts would be in sight, and today I thought I’d like to see them around the waists of a hero and a kaiju. I want to do our best to aim for the victory without losing focus.”

Misao: “Like Nakajima-san said, beating Daydream really gave me a huge boost in confidence. In the future, I want Kyoraku Kyomei to get even stronger, and win even greater things. But before we could do that, we always had to beat Daydream. We accomplished that today, and now all that’s left is winning. Next is One to Million.”

Nakajima: “One to Million?”

Misao: “We are a kaiju and a hero, but what do we call them?”

Nakajima: “They seem to be guts and guts.”

Then Misao said, “根性と根性? そんな概念みたいなものに我々、ヒーローと怪獣が負けるはずないんですよ。思い込みを打ち砕いてやります.” Most of the trouble for me was trying to figure out a good way to translate this, haha.

Misao: “Guts and guts? We, hero and kaiju, certainly won’t lose to an abstract concept like that! We’ll crush your assumptions.”

Nakajima: “I’ll smash that head, too! Maki Itoh, prepare yourself!”

Misao: “I’ll smash that leg, too! Miyu Yamashita, prepare yourself!”

Nakajima: “We’ll definitely win! Yes, we are…”

Both: “Kyoraku Kyomei!”

Itoh and Miyu talked less than last time, haha. Miyu did immediately confuse me with her second sentence, though: “私はもうね、空手って意味でも2人と向き合うと同じバックボーンがあるって意味で燃えるところもあるし.”

Yamashita: “Today was the semifinals match with Moka Miyamoto and Juria Nagano. The fact that it’s karate, and also the fact that I’m facing two people with that same spirit, that gets me fired up. But this time it’s the tag team tournament, and even though there’s quite a difference in the length of our careers, I couldn’t let my guard down against them. Truly, they were stronger than I had expected, or rather it was a hard fight. I think it’s huge that we were able to overcome them here.”

Itoh: “And the crowd was cheering for Juria Nagano and Moka Miyamoto, like, a lot.We’re masochists, aren’t we?”

Yamashita: “Surely.”

Itoh: “So… we crushed them. But I think they challenged us with everything they’ve got right now, and that’s good. It was fun. Next is Kyoraku Kyomei!”

I was a little taken aback when Itoh said “ドMなんだよね、私たち”, but there’s only one way to translate that, isn’t there? :sweat_smile:

In the second part of their comments, there was some stuff I initially wasn’t sure about, but I think I more or less got it?

Yamashita: “The other semifinal today was Daydream vs Kyoraku Kyomei. Whichever team wins, it’s bad news for us. I think the one I’m weakest against came out on top. I don’t know what Daydream is going to do, but…”

Itoh: “Daydream is straightforward. But Kyoraku Kyomei always throws screwballs, and we’re not good at that. Just a bit tricky.”

Yamashita: “In the ring at the end… we’ve known each other for a long time, so it felt like a casual conversation, but when we meet each other’s eyes, I don’t want to lose. I don’t want to lose to Misao, or to Nakajima, either. I want us to win the tournament as a tag team, and I want to win the tag belts.”

Itoh: “I want to win them, too.”

Yamashita: “It’s not just my personal feelings; I want to join forces with Itoh and win in the finals, too. If we’re together, I think no matter how strong Kyoraku Kyomei is now, we’ll be able to beat them.”

Itoh: “Well, if we beat Kyoraku Kyomei… hero and kaiju, right? And now we’ll have a monster and a monster with belts. With this, I think we’ll be able to gain some momentum. So I want to beat them. I’ll do my best.”

Yamashita: “I’m going to put everything I have into this.”

Itoh: “I won’t lose.”

The first half of Rika and Miu’s comments went fine:

Tatsumi: “Miu… I’m sorry.”

Miu: “I’m sorry, too. I couldn’t get there in time.”

Tatsumi: “No, I was the one who wasn’t good enough. It wasn’t supposed to turn out like this. But I think I was way too confident that there was no way we’d lose.”

Then Miu said, “そうですね。カシン…加える、進む?” I couldn’t quite figure out what was going on here :sweat_smile:.

Miu: “Yeah. You overestimated yourself. Add it up, move on?”

Tatsumi: “No. I was overconfident, but I’m making this a moment to reflect.”

This last chunk was where they lost me:

まだタッグもこれからますます面白いタッグでずっといたいと思うので。違う夢を追いかけてくれる?」

“I still want our tag team to get more and more interesting. Will you pursue a different dream with me?”

未詩「はい。白昼夢を見せながら」

Miu: “Yes, while showing Daydream.”

辰巳「夢を見ていきたいと思います」

Tatsumi: “I’d like to keep dreaming.”

And that’s it for that show!

I did watch the PPV, but am not going to do any translations for it because almost nothing in it was transcribed, and my listening comprehension is definitely not up to the task, haha. Plus it would be a lot of work! I do really enjoy 2-count and 1-count fall matches, though, so it was a fun albeit fairly inconsequential show.

I’m a little worried by the increase in PPVs on Wrestle Universe this year, but I’m hoping it’s only for shows with unusual circumstances (like the no-audience TJPW show where PPV buys replaced ticket sales, and the Mutoh show which is a gigantic crossover event with a bunch of other companies). I’m a bit surprised that Stardom’s business model there is even sustainable, because I definitely could not afford to buy that many PPVs for any company :sweat_smile:.

1 Like