The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

Finished the October 29 TJPW show! The translation for this one was really short in comparison to some recent shows :sweat_smile:.

Willow Nightingale finally made it over to Japan from AEW! She seemed like a natural fit in TJPW. The crowd really loved her bubbly energy. I’m wondering if perhaps an International title shot is coming up for her, and we’ll finally get to see that Willow vs Miu match that we missed out on this summer…

In this show, Willow tagged with Yuka against Maki Itoh and Kamiyu, and she managed to pin Kamiyu and get the win.

Most of Yuka and Willow’s comments were in English:

Sakazaki: “Willow is here!” (in English) “Please come back!”

Willow: (in English) “Oh, I hope so! I want to! I had so much fun! Oh, I’m buzzing! How’s that for a match? Exciting first win.”

Sakazaki: “Willow is a great fit for TJPW, and she’s a happy girl, so I hope she comes back soon.” (in English) “Soon, Japan?”

Willow: (in English) “Yeah!! Let’s show our muscles!”

Sakazaki: (in English) “Thank you! Bye-bye!”

Willow: (in Japanese) “Thank you!”

I was very grateful for Mr. Haku’s help with Kamiyu and Itoh’s comments, because I would have been quite confused otherwise, haha :sweat_smile:.

Kamifuku: (in English) “Maki, I’m so sorry I lost.”

Itoh: (in English) “No, it’s okay, it’s okay.”

Kamifuku: (in English) “I’m sorry.”

Itoh: (translating) “She says ‘I’m sorry for losing’"

Kamifuku: (in English) “It hurts! Everywhere hurts!”

Itoh: (translating) “She says ‘it hurts all over!’”

Kamifuku: “I Lostingale and am Sadingale…”

Itoh: (translating) “She says ‘I Lostingale and am Sadingale’. We’ll keep trying, right?”

Kamifuku: (in English) “Yes, next time, next time, please.”

Itoh: (translating) “She wants to do it again.”

Kamifuku: “I didn’t say that.”

Itoh: “You didn’t? But since we lost…”

Kamifuku: “I want to get Revengigale.”

Itoh: (translating) “She says ‘I’ll definitely do it again’.”

Kamifuku: “Thankingale. Imma Leavingale now.”

Itoh: “…Leavingale!”

The main event was Miu vs Moka for the International belt, and this match ruled?? I’ve been a fan of Moka since she debuted, but I didn’t realize she was capable of this level of match yet at this point in her career. Both of them did a fantastic job!

Miu spoke on the mic a bit after she won. I didn’t have trouble with the first half:

Miu: “My first defense was successful! I was really happy that Moka came forward first, and I’m so happy that I was able to fight her today. And from this point, I have made my first defense, but I want to grow more and more, and become more and more of a suitable candidate for this belt, and defend it loads more times. Everyone, thank you for your support! Thank you all for coming to Osaka today!”

The beginning of this next part is where both Miu and I had a bit of trouble, haha :sweat_smile:. She said: “…終わりです。どうしよ。なんて? 今日は満席、だった…?” She seemed to be having trouble finding her words, and I wasn’t quite sure how to translate it. Here’s what I had for the rest:

(pause) “That’s it. What do I say now? Um. It was a full house today, wasn’t it? We haven’t had an Osaka show in six months, and we weren’t able to hear everyone’s voices for the past three years, so the fact that we sold out makes me so, so happy. Please keep supporting us! Thank you so much! The end!”

In her comments, Miu said:

Miu: “I was able to successfully make my first defense. Yay! I’ve been so happy since the week before last, when Moka took the mic for the first time and declared her intent. I thought her enthusiasm and passion from that point on burned stronger than ever. She’s been training very hard, and is always really honest and passionate, so it made me really happy to have Moka for my opponent in my first title defense. Though from here, it’s a bit… Well, the microphone is a challenge.” (laughs) “I didn’t know how to close the show, so I decided to try my best to go on a little longer. There are so many things I have to work hard on, so I want to keep defending my belt and work as hard as I can… Like this!” (laughs) “I’m going to do my best, with the mic.”

For the next part, I had a bit of help from Mr. Haku again:

(Do you have an idea of what your future road of defenses might look like?)

“Since it’s the International belt, I think I can hear the voice of the belt say that it would be happier if I defended it against wrestlers from overseas. Of course, I also want to do that to expand my own horizons, and I’m happy to see my hard-working juniors step forward like Moka did this time. I thought this summer that I wanted to be that type of senpai. On that note, both are” (in English) “Welcome.” (in Japanese) “Yes, I said it in English.”

(You’ll accept any challenger?)

"Yes. I want to defend the belt again and again; I want to have the most defenses.”

Then the interviewer asks Miu about the variations on the Giant Swing that she keeps coming up with, and she answers: “気付いたらいろんな方が、七色の使い手、みたいなことを言ってくれてたので.” I was a bit confused by this sentence, and didn’t really know how to translate “七色の使い手”. I feel like perhaps there is a reference or some cultural nuance I wasn’t getting? :sweat_smile:

(You’re coming up with more and more variations on the Giant Swing)

“I saw some people saying that it was like I was a user of the seven prismatic colors, or something like that. Well, I thought I would do my best to aim for 200 colors.”

(200 variations?)

“That’s a lie, I’m sorry.” (laughs)

These sentences gave me a lot of trouble, and I think I figured them out, though I wasn’t confident, haha: “でも、自分のペースに持っていけるのって結局ジャイアントスイングなので。そういう部分ではどこからでも回せてワクワクさせられるような人になりたいなって思います.”

“But ultimately I can take the speed of my Giant Swing to the next level. So I want to be someone who’s capable of hitting it out of the blue and making it exciting.”

And finally, Moka’s comments:

Miyamoto: "This was my first title match, and also my first singles main event… I was really nervous. I was able to give it my all, but Miu-san was so strong! She countered my Rashomon into a swing, and every single elbow strike was stiff. My current abilities weren’t enough at all, so I want to work even harder and get revenge.”

The interviewer asked her about using this experience in the future, and she said, “はい、生かせそうです。初めてのタイトルマッチを全力を尽くして成し遂げたことも、初めてのメインでシングルしたことも成長につながったと思うので.” I got tripped up several times in that long sentence :sweat_smile:.

(Can you use this experience going forward?)

“Yes, I think so. I put forth my best effort in my first title match and my first main event singles match, and I think I’ve grown. If I have the opportunity, I want to challenge for the belt again, and I want to become even stronger.”

And that’s it!

I’m miraculously caught up again, at least for a few days, haha. We’re fully in the thick of National Novel Writing Month season, so I’m going to have to work extra hard to stay on top of things while I’m doing that, but I think I’ll be able to hold out until their next Korakuen show (which is thankfully at the end of the month).

2 Likes