The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

Finished translating TJPW’s October 21 show (Arisu’s hometown show) slightly too late to post about it before the next show, but at least this one was a lot shorter :sweat_smile:.

Moka and Miu had a preview match (their first and last) before their title match.

Moka started off by saying: “今日は隣にいた中島さんのおかげもあって勝つことができました。でも、やっぱり未詩さんの勢いがすごくて。久々にジャイアントスイングまでやられてしまって、すごい悲しい思いはあります。でもタイトルマッチまであと一週間くらいで残りも少ないので…”

I was a bit perplexed by the すごい悲しい思いはあります part. I felt like I understood the grammar, but couldn’t make sense of what she meant by it :sweat_smile:. Here’s what I had for her comments:

Miyamoto: “I was able to win today thanks to Nakajima-san, who was at my side. However, Miu-san had a lot of momentum. It has been a while since she hit me with a Giant Swing, and I feel really sad. But there is only a week left until the title match, and that’s not much time… In one week, I’m going to give it everything I have and beat Miu-san.”

(After facing her today, did you discover anything you need to work on before the title match?)

“Hmm… Miu-san has a lot of momentum and power, so I hope I can show enough spirit that exceeds that.”

In Miu’s comments, she starts with, “今日はもかと前哨戦が…たぶん最初で最後?になるんですけど。前回の試合からもかが今まで以上に、今までだと信じられないくらいの勢いだったり、決意みたいなのを感じたので.”

I got a bit tripped up by the “になるんですけど”, but I think maybe it’s just the mid-sentence (?) question mark that’s throwing me off?

Miu: “Today was a preview match with Moka… maybe our first and last one? Since our last match, Moka had incredible spirit, more than before, and I felt her determination.”

Then she said: “先週、率直に嬉しいなとは思ったんですけど、やっぱり嬉しいだけじゃなく、もかの気持ちをちゃんと受けとめて、その上でしっかり勝てるようにしなきゃなとは思いますし.” I guess my main question here is a translation nuance question, haha, because I wasn’t quite sure what to do with “もかの気持ちをちゃんと受けとめて” in English. All of the wording I came up with felt kind of awkward :sweat_smile:.

“Last week, I was frankly happy, but I also felt that I shouldn’t just be happy, but also receive Moka’s feelings and make sure that I win. So, one week later, Osaka. I hope everyone will come and support me.”

(You got hit with the Korokan again today)

“Yes. Rashomon and Korokan, the kanji is a bit difficult.” (laughs) “I don’t really understand.”

(I absolutely laughed at her struggling with the kanji in 羅生門 and 鴻臚館, though 羅 is a level 57 kanji, and neither 鴻 nor 臚 are in WK, so I can’t really blame her here.)

I had a bit of trouble with this next part: “でもあの技ホントにヤバくて、今回も前回も今まで予想もしてなかった技だったので。いままでの積み重ねもありつつ、さらにすごい技なので。あれだけは警戒しとかなきゃいけないし、あれ食らったら…もかは後輩ってみんな見えてるかもしれないですけど.”

The “いままでの積み重ねもありつつ、さらにすごい技なので” part in particular was tricky, and the very last line was a bit confusing in meaning.

“But that move is really dangerous, because it’s a move that I hadn’t expected up to this point, either this time or last time. I’ve experienced a lot so far, so that makes that move even more amazing. I have to be on the lookout for that one, and if I get hit by it… everyone might see that Moka is my junior. So it would be bad if it hits me. Rashomon is also hard to deal with. I feel like I can’t rest easily at all.”

The main event was a bit of a brutal one, as far as Arisu’s chances of winning go. She teamed up with Suzume and faced MagiRabbi. I think you can predict how this one went…

After the match when all four of them spoke on the mic, Yuka’s first line confused me a bit: “やるやんけ、お前ー!”

Sakazaki: “You’re doing it, aren’t you! Since we had our title match, you’ve been really spirited, and your teamwork has gotten better… good!”

Mizuki: “I’m sure Arisu is frustrated that she was soundly defeated, but she has so many people supporting her here, so let’s keep working even harder together.”

Sakazaki: “This is great. They’re practically all on Arisu’s side, huh?”

(Handing Endo the microphone)

“Say something.”

Endo: “We lost… But let me say… I’m home! Yuka-san, Mizuki-san, have we grown since our title match?”

(They answer “You have!”)

“I’m glad… Since before I started wrestling, doing a triumphant return show was my dream. It came true today. And now, I have another dream. I want to get even bigger, and come back home to Aizu-Wakamatsu. I’m going to become stronger than my senpais, and I will come back.”

I was a bit confused by what she said next: “もうこれ以上(マイクが)長くなっちゃうと…みんな、(3方向に)ホントにありがとうございます.” The part about the mic, I couldn’t quite get.

“If I keep going on the mic… Everyone,” (to all three sides) “Truly thank you so much. Thank you. Thank you! …I’ll close now. Well, I’ll see you all when I come back again. Thank you so much for today!”

Mizuki and Yuka’s post-match comments start off pretty straightforward:

Sakazaki: “Wow, there was so much love!”

Mizuki: “Truly, she’s loved by so many people.”

Sakazaki: “It was amazing. To be able to wrestle in a place like this, it was an incredible opportunity.”

Mizuki: “I was also happy to be her opponent.”

Sakazaki: “And as Daisy Monkey, she really challenged us when MagiRabbi had the tag belts. Her mindset has changed since that time, and their level as individuals has gone up, and as a team as well. Considering all that, I’m really glad.”

The end is where things get a little tricky: “(ここまでアウェーでの闘いは珍しいです)まぁまぁまぁまぁ、そうでしょうっていう想定はあったから、全然いいんですけど。なので、でじもん見てって感じではありましたけどね。その上で私たちが上をいくので。余裕の態度は取ってました.”

I was confused by アウェー at first, then figured out that the interviewer is referring to it as an “away game” basically because it’s away from home and MagiRabbi are sort of the de facto heels against the hometown hero. I think? In any case, Yuka’s last three sentences still confused me, haha :sweat_smile:.

(Until now, it has been rare to fight an away match)

“Well, I expected it’d be like that, so it was totally fine. It felt like ‘look at Daisy Monkey’. Besides, we were above them. I took a relaxed attitude." (laughs)

The first part of Arisu and Suzume’s comments was pretty straightforward:

Endo: “My return show was a lot of fun, but… in the end, MagiRabbi was too strong. It was painful, and of course I wanted to get a win in front of everyone in my hometown, but I’m glad I did this. I was able to dream a little more, and I’m glad that MagiRabbi were my opponents. And I’m glad that you’re my partner, Suzume-san.”

Suzume: “Thank you for bringing me with you.”

Endo: “I’m going to cry…”

Suzume: “It was really cool, and this seems to be a place that raises good kids who are bright and carefree. I was happy to come here with everyone, and to face two people who might be the tag team among our senpais that we have the deepest emotional attachment to. They’re definitely opponents that we both want to surpass, so I’m beyond happy that we could face them at this momentous show, and I’m definitely going to ask Arisu to bring me back here again.”

Endo: “I’ll bring you back!”

In the second part, the beginning was pretty doable:

(Her entrance was magnificent)

Suzume: “It was amazing!”

Endo: “There were so many flags.”

Suzume: “I wanted to hold one, too.”

Then according to the transcript, Arisu says: “ダメ。一緒に入場したかった.” I had a bit of trouble catching the ダメ when I tried listening, and couldn’t really make sense of it in the context of the rest of what Arisu was saying, so I didn’t know if it was a typo, or what I should do with it :sweat_smile:.

Endo: "I wanted us to enter together. It was amazing, all those flags. I was so surprised.”

(You completed your big task as a tourism ambassador)

“Yes. As a tourism ambassador, I think there are lots of people who discovered Fukushima and TJPW.”

(Did you feel any pressure?)

“Well, the poster said Arisu Endo’s triumphant return show, and BAM there I am right in the middle of it.” (laughs) “Plus, there are a lot of people in Fukushima who don’t know about pro wrestling. So, there was pressure from all sides, but we managed to pull it off…”

Suzume: “Wow, the poster is plastered all over town.”

Endo: “That’s all my friends’ doing.” (laughs)

(Naturally, the next time you return, you want to finish with a win?)

"Of course! I want to end it with a victory. I want to look cool in front of everyone. All my family and friends.”

And that’s it for that one!

The next show, on October 24, was a fan club show, which always have ridiculous stipulation matches and possibly some of the only pro wrestling matches in the entire industry that are actually a shoot and not worked (my friends and I regularly debate this).

Shupro doesn’t have any transcripts for anything from this one, and there were no backstage comments, so I’m not doing a translation, but I highly recommend watching this one, especially if you have decent Japanese listening comprehension, because the stipulations are hilarious.

I actually got to hear the WK word 人狼(じんろう) (werewolf) a lot haha because they played a game of werewolf as a match stipulation, so naturally the wrestlers spent most of the match arguing over who was the werewolf and trying to convince the others of their innocence.

I could catch bits and pieces of stuff throughout the show (I still leaned pretty heavily on Dramatic DDT’s blog post about it, though), which made it a lot more fun. I can’t wait until I can watch shows like this and actually catch most of what’s going on.

2 Likes