The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

I read a few more pages of the glossary section in the NJPW English book a few days ago! Here are some observations:

In the entry for “desperate”, they also define “desperado”, but mention that it’s Spanish, haha. One of my friends said that one of the words they mentioned, “ならずもの”, is a nickname that Japanese fans sometimes use for El Desperado. The other word the book gives is 無法者, which is also a neat word!

For “excursion”, the book mentions that it can mean 海外武者修行, 他方遠征, and 修学旅行. Whoever wrote the definition finds the word おもしろい! It’s funny what details stand out to people from the other side about words that I hardly ever think about.

In the entry for “eye poke”, they mention that heel wrestlers use their index and middle fingers to do it, and then finish the entry with “絶対にやってはいけません!”

For “feature,” they say that it’s used more and more in katakana in Japan, but lots of people say フューチャー (future) instead, haha. The correct spelling is フィーチャー.

I think I might have already mentioned this, but they define “get over” in the wrestling sense. They also define the literal meaning of the words, and give the definition that people are likely to see on things like the TOEIC test (which is unsurprisingly not the wrestling meaning).

I think I remember reading a review of the book where a Japanese fan was a bit surprised by the book teaching more insider language and that sort of thing. But honestly, if you talk to English-speaking fans about wrestling (or even just watch, like, normal AEW programming), you do sort of need to know the insider language, I think.

A useful note to me as a translator was that they define “hard-hitting match” as “激しい試合”. This was handy to me because 激しい recently came up to describe how Yuka was in the Tokyo Princess Cup, and I got a bit stuck on how to translate it :sweat_smile:. I’m going to keep that in mind for the future, I think.

Also, in the entry for “iron man”, they mention that it’s the name of a Black Sabbath song, which made me laugh, haha.

They define “locker room,” and then also tell the reader to keep in mind the meaning of “locker-room conversation”. Yeah, that’s probably worth knowing…

They also define “lucha libre” as “free fighting”, which is something that lucha fans get weary about hearing because it’s said so often in English-language wrestling stuff. I wonder if Japanese-language broadcasts also frequently define the term when it comes up?

The entry for lucha libre also mentions that “llave” and “tope” have made it into English as well as Japanese. This reminded me of when I first tried translating some Spanish articles a couple years ago, and I hadn’t yet encountered the word “llave” in a wrestling sense, and I could not for the life of me figure out what to do with it in the translation. Turns out that I did not actually need to touch that one! It was fine as is!

I’m honestly considering buying that pro wrestling dictionary that Takagi was involved with, because I feel like I’m probably at a point where I can start to approach it? Especially since it’ll probably take a while to ship overseas, haha.

On another note, I forgot to mention in the last post that GM Imabayashi’s DDT contract is ending, and unfortunately as a consequence of that, the upcoming Hiragana Muscle show is going to be the last one.

feelstana

I’m bummed because I had dreamed of one day being able to watch Hiragana Muscle and be fluent enough to not need the live translation, but unfortunately it’s ending before my Japanese is advanced enough… alas! In any case, I recommend you try watching it, rodan! I think you’d be able to pick up on most of what’s going on :blush:.

1 Like