Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 9

page 5 is hell

Panel 5

“ perhaps there’s also the possibility that the cash register place (ところ) where I am (subject implici, いる, but why present tense? Missing something here) is visible (ている, state) “

If that’s the case (たとしたら), as it is now, if was chatting (??), was completely unacceptable
This second part doesn’t make sense…
Damn, last chapters were easy but this is merciless

Edit: thinking about it, the main confusion probably cones from the fact that I’m not sure of the first speech bubble, レジにいる part. Who is the subject there? We have the location, is レジ the cash register or the cashier? Who is the subject of いる? I suppose it’s jot the cashier since it is に marked, so it’s Nishikata.
The rest, in this case, can only make sense as “If she saw me at the cash register, I’m screwed” or “If the place in front of the cash register is visible, she could’ve seen me, in that case I’m screwed” but these sentences make sense only if 見られる was in the second speech bubble which is not. In that case, I can’t interpret the sense of that conditional
Edit 2: I also assume that いる is not modifying ところ because いる is for people, otherwise why not ある.

1 Like

It’s still useful for a range. If two series are within maybe five levels of one another, it can help you find something else you might want to try reading next.

But always look up a free preview. Natively links to Amazon’s listing which should have a preview, but I like to do a web search for the name of a manga with 「試し読み」 in the search box.

Natively improves based on people using it and rating manga they’re reading compared with other manga they’re reading.

It depends on how fast you learn grammar and vocabulary, how much you read, and how much time you can (and do) spend on learning/consuming Japanese.

Some people can go from zero to reading something like Conan in about one year (although they’re still looking up a lot of words along the way).

I’m not nearly that fast at learning and memorizing things, though!

Whenever you feel really comfortable with what you are reading, it’s time to start looking for slightly more difficult material. But keep reading the easier material, too, at the same time. During the next month, you might even start reading one or two more easy series if you find that you are ready for it.

2 Likes

Will note this. It’s how I’ll go next time (talking about distant future)

I’ll take this as the plan, will just wait that takagi san feels really comfortable before moving to reading something else along with it
Thank you a lot for the suggestions!

2 Likes
Pg. 5

Does it help to rephrase it as:

“There was a wanted book.”

Or, in natural English:

“There was a book that I wanted.”

Because it’s not “the register where I am” , but “the place where the cashier is”. That’s why it is いる, because レジ can also refer to the actual person, not just the device.

This one is a little strange because of the double conditional, for sure.

My intepretation:

“If that’s the case (だとしたら, referring back to what he just said), then I was completely out (of his imagined match of wits with Takagi-san) (完全にアウトだったな) when (the second たら) chatting as I just did.”

Essentially, he is saying that the excuse he just tried to give is no good because his excuse was that the book he wanted was sold out, but if the cashier is visible, then she would have seen him buy something, so he would be caught in a lie.

1 Like

So simple again, and yet I totally missed it… very clear example! I didn’t consider that “I want a book” in japanese is “exists a wanted book”

There’s something I keep missing, and it of course is my fault, I don’t understand why if the cashier is making the action of being there, is marked by に, doesn’t this particle only mark the place of existence when it’s used with いる?
レジに→location of existence of the subject
いる→verb of existence, is
所→place
EDIT: maybe I found the answer by myself, I now see the chance that レジに has to be interpreted merely as the casher’s location, while いる simply states that said location exists… “the existing いる place 所 where the cashier is located レジに”

Ok, this part is crystal clear!

1 Like

Yep, you worked out how I had it in my brain. It was taking me a minute to try and formulate how I wanted to word it because I was worried I would just be repetitive and unhelpful. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

honestly don’t be hard on yourself…you are getting explanations in English and it isn’t even your native language!!! You’re doing way better than most people!!!

2 Likes

I see it a bit differently, putting back the implicit subject, I think it would be もしかしてレジに(私が)いる所を(私が)(高木さんに)見られている可能性も(ある)…!!
Very literally, “There is also a possibility I was seen by her at the moment I was at the register”, with ところ not an geographical location but an abstract “the scene” or “the moment”

2 Likes

The tense doesn’t match the interpretation, is my only reason for disagreement there. Everything is present tense, the 見られている is also in present tense (“in the state of being visible”; not “in the state of having been visible”, which would be 見られていた)

Edit: thought about that more, that would be the nominalized version, so scratch that.

いる not いた modifying the 所, as well. That’s why I interpreted it the way I did, where the place is visible, as opposed to it being the abstract and referring to the moment.

Though it could just be a case where the Japanese does express tense differently, so I can’t dismiss this interpretation out of hand (though both ways of looking at it gives you the same result, so it also could be a case of splitting hairs).

Edit: if we look at it has “has been visible”, actually, that could line up fairly well, if we assume that Nishikata is not the omitted subject for いる, but instead something like 人が:

There is also a possibility that the place where people are at the register has been visible (to Takagi-san)…

Ultimately, that is a question purely of translation, though. All of those potential interpretations all end up with the same result, and same intended meaning. He is offering the possibility that the location has been visible to Takagi-san this entire time, thus he may have been spotted, and the excuse he was giving will trap him.

1 Like

Yes, but I often feel that ている is sometimes used in the same way the present perfect is used sometimes in English when a finished action has consequence on the present. (I’ve lost my keys. They’ve missed the bus etc)
I remember seeing an example like this on stack exchange.
辛そうだね。昨日またいっぱい飲んだの? You look terrible. Did you drink a lot again yesterday?
And according to a native speaker, a natural answer would be either:
うん、飲んでる。
いや、飲んでない。
The drinking is clearly finished, it was the day before, but it’s relevant to the present so ている is natural.

So that’s what I thought happened here. “Maybe she saw me”

Sure! He is busted for sure :grin:

3 Likes

Definitely, yes, it can be used similar to present perfect tense, but “was seen by” and “saw” aren’t present perfect tense; that’s why the tenses don’t line up with that interpretation.

The other caveat with present perfect, is it can’t be used when referring to a specified time. To use the drinking example:

Correct

“Yeah, I’ve been drinking.”

This is a natural response in English too, so no surprises there.

Incorrect

“Yeah, I’ve been drinking yesterday.” It becomes totally unnatural when you add a specific time.

You could say since yesterday, but that would imply the person is drinking even up to the current moment. (And in Japanese, there would be a から after the time).

So if we look at it as present perfect tense, 所 would have to be a place, not a specific moment, or else it’s not grammatical.

This also jives with いる being present, and not past. If it were referring to that moment, which is already over, it would need to be いた所 (or いた時/いた瞬間), I feel.

Edit: other thought, “to have been in sight” is probably more accurate than the “to have been visible” that I’ve been using, but I suppose they are both quite similar. Just figure if I’m splitting hairs already, I’ll pick on myself too. :rofl:

2 Likes

Never unhelpful :wink: and repetition is actually needed, as you may have noticed from my continuous missing of obvious grammar points :joy:

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Last couple days I’m feeling like I took a step back because I went from doing chapter 5-6-7 very easily to 8 a bit harder and now 9 going really slow… but I’ll keep brute forcing thru it :joy:
And about doing better than most people, I can’t accept this compliment, it can look like I’m going a bit fast but it’s just because I’m putting an insane (literally) amount of time and effort into it, so perhaps I’m even below the average😁

2 Likes
Page 7

Panel 1, speech bubble 1

“Er…well…… erm, I オレ haven’t read it 読んでない yet まだ “

Panel 1, speech bubble 2

Note: not sure what is だから doing in a closed sentence like this, I’d easily explain it if the sentence containing it was linked to the next one by a conjunction or a comma 、 but since there’s a period 。 I can’t tell 100% sure.
Anyway translation should be something like:

“Since だから I only だけ want to know 知りたい what it’s like どんなのか, if you are so inclined (to what? If you prefer?) なんなら even でも just だけ the cover 表紙 (it’s okay, implicit いい after でも…?)”

Panel 2, speech bubble 1-2

Note: not sure how to interpret the だって literally and would like to hear your takes on it, but I vaguely understand that as CD explains in her video, it’s just だ marking something and って (という or とて? Can’t remember) saying something about it

“ Impossible impossible! Absolutely impossible!! It’s that もん I have carefully (diligently) not looked at the cover yet “

Panel 3, speech bubble 2-3

Note: how would まさか be translated here? I’d say it’s about something unexpected.

“ Unexpectedly まさか she would have come to hold (insist) such as なんて like this こんなに… what a なんて dangerous person 危険な人 she is だ “

2 Likes

How do you know how much effort others put in, though? :eyes:

Aren’t they replying to something?

“Why do you ask?”
“Oh, I was just curious/just wanted to know.”

What kind?

Either that, or some sort of see or show.
Like, I just want to see the cover.
Can you show me just the cover?
Etc.

Even I still haven’t seen the cover properly.

Basically, but I’m not sure about the wording.

Something like, “to think that she would go to such lengths”

Not just saying, “unexpectedly, this happened”, but being surprised because something unexpected happened.

3 Likes

Legit… about the effort, I have no doubt that many people on here are giving their best, but not everyone has enough free time…
On my side, I’m currently unemployed and also don’t have the most entertaining social life, so I have the chance of being able to focus the exact amount of energies and time I want on it

I’m not sure actually, to me it looks like not (if you check the previous translation, speech bubble 1, it’s exactly what Nishikata says)

Ok, this and the rest is clear, thanks for the corrections!

2 Likes
Page 8

Panel 2, speech bubble 2

Note: not sure on せっかく meaning in this context, I guess it refers to something special (an occasion) but don’t know how to see it

“ expressely/especially (/specifically?) because I met you, let’s walk 歩こう together for a bit ちょっと “

2 Likes
Page 9

Panel 1, speech bubble 1

Another bastard sentence, the best translation I’m able to provide is:

“If I think と思うと that in the inside of this backpack このリュックの中に(shouldn’t it be marked by で?) is contained 入っている(wait, isn’t this intransitive?) a thing もの that absolutely 絶対 must not be seen 見られてはいけない… “
Questions: is the verb receptive or potential? What is the に prticle after 中 doing?

Panel 1, speech bubble 2

Don’t have a clue about this!

2 Likes
Page 8

It’s definition 2 in Jisho. Because of the rare/special occasion of running into each other, we should walk together for a bit.

Page 9 speech bubble 1

I can’t answer whether the verb is receptive or potential, but your translation is correct. I think it’s に because it’s marking the position of the もの, which is リュックの中.

Page 9 speech bubble 2

Literally this means “I don’t feel alive”. I think it’s an expression of the dread he feels at having something embarrassing in his possession while Takagi is around, whom he’s terrible at hiding stuff from.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for correcting my translations! I already checked this but didn’t think it was the case… now it makes sense tho!

I thought that に with receptive verbs is always marking the doer of the action to the が marked subject, could that に be implicit? (Because it must not be seen by anyone in general) I was confused because of this at the beginning and ended up thinking it was potential

Tbis is perfectly clear, no dubts :grin::pray:

3 Likes

リュックの中に links to 入ってる. (<場所>に<物>が入っている. <物> are in <場所> and they got 入る in it, so for example a closed thing, like a bag.)

絶対に見られてはいけないもの
I’m not completely sure but passive seems a bit more likely? Both seems possible though.

(誰かが)ものを見られてはいけない someone must not be able to see the object
(誰かに)ものが見られてはいけない the object must not been seen (by someone)

4 Likes