Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 9

I don’t have many informations on this form of the verb, why isn’t just 見られて or even 見られたら?

2 Likes

見られたら wouldn’t have the same “even” connotation (which is stronger), and you can’t connect with the て form to the でも particle. You need something that’s closer to a noun, which the continuative form of a verb essentially does.

書く → 書き would be another example. I’m not very good with them yet, either, and I see @ChristopherFritz replying, so he might be able to explain it better!

1 Like

I don’t have any grammar explanation offhand, but this might be interesting reading:

Essentially this form is making a noun from a verb.

2 Likes

Oh, I like this one:

2 Likes

Both helpful articles, I also didn’t know でもしたら was a grammar point!

2 Likes
Page 5, chapter 9 feeling tough

Panel 2, speech bubble 3

ここは→As for here (at this point…?)
どうやっても→ even how/ in what way (can’t make much sense of も here bit perhaps it’s related to the sequent negation)
ごまかさねば→If don’t deceive (also means misinterpret but doesn’t look the case). Took a little to find out what the hell this is. Classical japanese? Why Nishikata :joy: ねば is apparently the classical version of なければ .
Also, I guess this is the common grammar point なければ + いけない with いけない dropped…?
Trying to put this together…
Nothing, it comes out nothing

1 Like

I didn’t know about it either, so I’ll definitely be analyzing it in other things I’ve read to make sure I understood them properly. (It’s just でも+する+たら, so it’s not difficult when you know all the parts.)

Examples of this grammar in other manga.

Detective Conan

Sailormoon

Saint Tail

2 Likes

I should have expected from detective conan, but it looks like a tough read :flushed:

2 Likes
Building up reading stamina is essential for some series!

3 Likes

panic is always an option :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Jesus christ :scream: this looks like A LOT
How long did it take to gain this stamina?

2 Likes
Pg. 5

We’ve actually seen this ねば once before back in chapter 4, if you remember! :grin:

So, yep, you’ve got that meaning correct.

My interpretation:

“As for here (at this point), even if (it is by) (も) any means, I must (ねば) deceive (Takagi-san).”

He doesn’t want to get caught buying the book he is buying.

2 Likes

No way, I had completely erased this from my memory :flushed: it won’t happen again… I’m beginning to notice that this pattern えばいけない is pretty common (at least in Takagi-san) and can without any problem just be thought of as a ‘must ~verb’, am I wrong?

I’m not confident with this passage, why does it take the ‘if’? Also - not confident with the english structure used here ‘if it is by any means’, could you rephrase it? Jisho translates どうやって as ‘how’, ‘in what way’ and ‘by what means’

1 Like

It was about 2.5 to 3 years of reading, reading, reading for me to build up my grammar, vocabulary, and reading stamina high enough for Conan.

2 Likes

I know it doesn’t have to mean anything in particular, but I checked Detective Conan on learnnatively.com and it lists it as lv25 so I’m a bit scared now :joy: is natively broken with this particular manga or am I highly underestimating the titles I had previously listed?

1 Like

Because Jisho is treating it like a set expression (which it can be), instead of breaking it down.

Breakdown

It’s literally どう + やる in て form.

どう = in what way, which in English could easily be the same as “by what means”. It just depends on what works in context the best

やる = to do

ても is the same て form +も with verbs we’ve come across earlier in the manga that means “even if~”

To rephrase it a bit in a way that maybe is more helpful?:

“Even if I do it in any way…”

The “any” is just because that’s one of the way question words work in Japanese. Think of like 何も or 誰も for equivalent examples.

1 Like

Ok this makes perfect sense now, as for ‘any’ too!

1 Like
Still page 5

Small doubt in panel 3
いやあ 欲しい本が あったんだけど、あいにく売り切… (sentence cut here)
How would you translate this sentence? i can’t explain the past tense of あった
I’d say this means “I came to buy the book I wanted but, unfortunately it was sold out”
But how is the first sentence translated?
Literally it would result in
“Well, it is that (んだ/ のだ) the wanted book was (あった???) but, unfortunately sold out
What is that ‘was’? Don’t see the sense

1 Like
Off topic from Takagi.

Natively is based on users rating a series, so sometimes a score will “improve” over time (as more people rate it against other manga they’ve read).

I think anything between levels 25 and 30, you can consider fairly close in difficulty.

By the time you can comfortably read one manga in that range, you’ll be able to better judge others by looking at their (ため)()み (free previews) on sites that sell manga.

I looked at previews for Death Note, Demon Slayer, and Attack on Titan, and they all looked “easy” to me now that I’ve read through series such as Sailormoon and (am currently reading) Detective Conan. They may be difficult after the first chapter free previews I looked at, though!

Also, they would have been impossible for me a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

I have to stop judging difficulty basing from that website then, for my purposes it looks quite misleading

Happy to hear that this material is probably easier than conan :joy:

Does this mean that I’m probably far away from being able to read that stuff? (At least without spending one week every page)

2 Likes