Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 9

Page 10

Panel 4

“ (The thing) you bought… somehow it’s not 「爆裂」, isn’t it? “
Not sure about なんとか, ‘somehow’ just feels weird

3 Likes

Oh here’s what was actually happening… I kept linking that に to the 見る verb, it was referred to 入る actually

Ok I’m not insane then, it is actually tough to tell!

3 Likes

In this case, it’s definition 1 in Jisho, “something or other”. She can’t be bothered to remember the name of the manga he was pretending to have. The thing you bought… it’s not 爆裂 something-or-other, is it?

3 Likes

Clear, I had misinterpreted again the whole thing here, she was referring to the name of the manga he was pretending to have bought! Like “ ‘explosion’ or something “
Clear now!

3 Likes
Page 12

Panel 1

Nishikata, I like this kind of things too, you know.

Panel 2, speech bubble 2

As for this thing, to no one, could you (もらえますか) not tell?
Or, better
Could you avoid telling anyone about this thing?

Question: I’m not sure about the ないで grammar point. I already had widely discussed this and the differences with other negation forms but still missing it someway. I know that it can mean ‘to do A without doing B’ but it doesn’t seem the case in this context, so I giess in this case there is an implicit ください after ないで and this grammar point is the ‘could you not…’ one…? I believe my translation is correct anyway but would like to shed some light on this goddamn ないで

Panel 3, speech bubble 1

Question, what are these two で? Especially the first after 中, I really can’t tell… the second one looks like a conjunctive だ tho.

“ As for reading 読んでるって stuff like this こういうの it is that ので if it gets known 知られたら… certainly きっと in the middle of boys (like in a group?) 男子の中で (location particle?) ( I ) will receive laughs/get ridiculed 笑われてしまう…

2 Likes
Page 13

Panel 1, speech bubble1

What does わかった mean here? I can’t adapt any of the meanings listed on jisho to this context

2 Likes
Pg. 12

That’s backwards; it’s “to do B without doing A”. ないでis the request form when not followed by another verb, so in this case, it is technically the “to do B without doing A” option, but since the second verb in this case is also a requesting kind of verb, it is moot. もらえる can behave similarly to ください (which is just the polite imperative form of 下さる). もらえますか is just a question as opposed to a stated request. “Could you~” instead of “Please do~”

So your interpretation is correct, you just had the syntax of ないで backwards.

You’ve got it right for the one following なか, the “location” particle, though I prefer to word it as “where the action takes place.” I also would rephrase it from “group of boys” to “among the boys” to more closely match the 中 meaning, but the same intent is reached regardless.

The second one is conjunctive だ, yes.

Well done. :grin:

Pg. 13

“Got it; understood.”

Also, immediately ran out of likes, so it must be like an hourly cooldown of sorts instead of just resetting the next day. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Awesome, I think I understood this point further too, actually the thing of もらえる being similar to ください was the main reason I thought that it couldn’t be the ‘without doing’ grammar point… I just couldn’t translate it anyhow (could you do without saying it?) so I thought - they must be working together as in some simple sort of request ‘could you…’. But I got your point that when it’s followed by a verb, it’s technically the ‘without doing’ grammar point

Oh this sounds way better! I couldn’t think of anything that could suit the case

Thanks 先輩!

Of the series, how the hell did I not see it was this simple?

Thanks!

What is this thing of running out of likes? i’m hearing it often on this forum but know nothing about it :joy:

2 Likes

Based on your trust level on the forum, you are limited to a certain number of likes a day on posts; for Members, like you and me, that is 100 likes a day. If you use up all of those likes, then you have to wait for your likes to reset. I thought it was 100 likes in a set 24 hour period, and then they reset at a certain time, but looking at the behavior now, I suspect it’s actually a rolling 24 hour period, and they restore slowly over time. Just means I’ll come back and like the posts in this thread a little later today. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
Summary

Here’s another one, what is this ないで doing? It doesn’t look like he’a asking again could you… since he has already said it just before that moment, and it can’t be the ‘without doing’ grammar point neither…
What is it and what would the difference be in nuance if it was just 言わないよ?

2 Likes

Oh I totally didn’t know this, and what is this trust level? Is it possible to go to the next level or is something fixed?

1 Like
Page 13

Panel 5, speech bubble 1

I translated this as
“ I’ll tell you one of my secrets (my secret) too “

Panel 5, speech bubble 2

Is 知ってたら actually 知っていたら? (いた)
How is 少し translated here? And how would you translate 安心?
Translating this as
“ if had been knowing each other secret, as for a little (wtf?) would be more peaceful (wut?)

2 Likes

EDIT: The below is incorrect! I misread でよ as でしょ.

That isn’t ないで. That’s 言わない + でしょ. “You really, really won’t say it right?”

2 Likes

Wait, how is this possible? Can でしょ being contracted in でよ?

1 Like

EDIT: The below is incorrect! I misread でよ as でしょ.

Yeah, it’s like slang. You can see it under “Other forms” in Jisho.

2 Likes

Just to check that there are no incomprehensions, under ‘other forms’ I see でしょ, not でよ (I mean, it’s missing the し kana) so is it all regular?

(In case it wasn’t well visible in the pic I sent, the word ends in ないでよ and not ないでしょ - I already know that でしょ is the same of でしょう)

2 Likes

Look like the normal 言わないで (don’t tell command) + よ to me. :thinking:
Really really don’t tell ok!?

4 Likes
Pg. 13

I think it is the request, just being repeated because he is so surprised, honestly. With the question marks, I think it’s just become implicit that the もらえますか is still there, just dropped either in his surprise (もらえますか is polite, after all, so he is reverting back to casual speech instead), or because it’s unnecessary since it was just said.

“Could you really, really not say anything!?”

He is surprised because she seems to have gave in fairly easily, and he probably expected to have to grovel more, so he repeats the question (less some politeness).

@aamunoz, でしょ is a contraction of でしょう, but でよ is not, as far as I’m aware? I’m also not seeing it in those forms… Have you misread the text, by chance?

少しis a “little bit”

安心 is like “peace of mind,” so no worry/concern

The 知っていたら is as you think, yes.

My interpretation:

“If we (are in the state of) know(ing) each other’s secrets, there will be a little bit of peace of mind, right?”

You can become a Regular, but it requires being incredibly active on the forum to a level that just feels insane. :joy: You also have to maintain that level of activity, because if you drop below it, you’ll turn back into a Member. The benefits of being a Regular are more likes (unlimited?), and the ability to edit other people’s topic titles and move them around and such, so it’s nothing particularly necessary and is only helpful if you intend to assist with some book club things (changing the titles of the main threads, etc., etc. It would have been really useful during the recent addition of the Book Club category, also, but that moment is past!)

3 Likes

Ok I didn’t see this persoective, this also explains the double ほんと in that place!

What I can’t really explain about this 少し is why it takes the は particle… in what way is it topic?

And, this makes perfect sense too, now!

These are all things I didn’t know, this improvement sounds helpful if you want to take active part in managinc important topics that help many people (such as book clubs) even tho - I don’t know the exact numbers - but ‘insane level of activity’ sounds a bit too much to become a regular, could it be?

2 Likes

Last page of chapter 9, btw page 14 was so cute, and page 15 quite easy to comprehend. Page 16 remain with some small doubts

Page 16

Panel 1

I couldn’t find out what the hell this sentence mean, and why is ウソ taking に?
ウソ→lie(に? What is it doing?)
決まってる→the be deciding
でしょ→ right? Don’t you agree?
???

Panel 2

What is もん doing here? Having a dejavu rn so apologies in advice if I’m asking again the same thing but I can’t find もん purpose in this context
ヒミツなんか→such as secrets
じゃない→ doesn’t exist
No more secrets…?

Edit: I’m seeing quite frequently から and だから at the end of sentences by themself and can’t explain it, such as

page 16, panel 3 “ じゃ、私こっちだから “ I suppose this means “ so, I go this way “ and this is not an answer to a question or anything, so what is だから doing alone like this?

2 Likes