Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 3

Just finished the chapter - what am I going to use all this extra free time for now haha. The answer is more studying

Nishikata’s internal monologues definitely are the real tests here I think, I did breakdowns of two of them - both from page 11 - to aid me in understanding, but as usual I think it would be good for someone to look through and correct anything I may have got wrong. There’s also a little bit I’m not sure how to interpret in the second one. Otherwise I hope these can help people:

Chapter page 11 breakdown one

γ€Œη¬‘γ‚γ›γ‚ˆγ†γ¨γ—γ¦γ‚‹η›Έζ‰‹γ«γ©γ†γ‚„γ£γŸγ‚‰η¬‘γˆγ‚‹γ‹γ‚’ζŒ‡ε°Žγ•γ‚Œγ‚‹γ£γ¦γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γͺγ‚“γ‹ε±ˆθΎ±γ€
η¬‘γ‚γ›γ‚ˆγ†γ¨γ—γ¦γ‚‹η›Έζ‰‹ = partner/opponent in trying to make (subject) laugh
I think here it makes most sense as something like β€œmy opponent who I am trying to make laugh” given the context of the rest of the sentence
に = I’ve seen this termed as the particle of establishment and I like that phrasing - it’s establishing the idea of the opponent who Nishikata is trying to make laugh to be used in the rest of the setnence
γ©γ†γ‚„γ£γŸγ‚‰η¬‘γˆγ‚‹γ‹γ‚’ζŒ‡ε°Žγ•γ‚Œγ‚‹
γ©γ†γ‚„γ£γŸγ‚‰ how (can)
η¬‘γˆγ‚‹γ‹ = make (subject) laugh?
γ©γ†γ‚„γ£γŸγ‚‰η¬‘γˆγ‚‹γ‹ = how can (someone) make (someone) laugh - the か here indicating an internal question in the clause
γ‚’ = direct object marker - the question of how to make someone laugh is the object
ζŒ‡ε°Žγ•γ‚Œγ‚‹ = recieving guidance (from partner in trying to make someone laugh?)
って = here I believe this is functioning as a topic marker of sorts (you could also consider it as modifying the following noun phrase with what precedes it - ie: γͺγ‚“γ‹ε±ˆθΎ± is modified by everything before the って)
η¬‘γ‚γ›γ‚ˆγ†γ¨γ—γ¦γ‚‹η›Έζ‰‹γ«γ©γ†γ‚„γ£γŸγ‚‰η¬‘γˆγ‚‹γ‹γ‚’ζŒ‡ε°Žγ•γ‚Œγ‚‹γ£γ¦ = recieving guidance in how to make someone laugh from my opponent who I am trying to make laugh
γͺγ‚“γ‹ε±ˆθΎ± = somehow embarassing
η¬‘γ‚γ›γ‚ˆγ†γ¨γ—γ¦γ‚‹η›Έζ‰‹γ«γ©γ†γ‚„γ£γŸγ‚‰η¬‘γˆγ‚‹γ‹γ‚’ζŒ‡ε°Žγ•γ‚Œγ‚‹γ£γ¦γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γͺγ‚“γ‹ε±ˆθΎ± = recieving guidance in how to make someone laugh from my opponent who I am trying to make laugh… it’s somehow embarassing

Chapter page 11 breakdown two

γ€Œγ„γ‚„γ€γ„γ„γ•οΌι«˜ζœ¨γ•γ‚“γŒη¬‘γ£γ¦γ€ε…ˆη”Ÿγ«ζ€’γ‚‰γ‚Œγ•γˆγ™γ‚Œγ°γ‚ͺレは!!」
いや、いいさ!= No, this is fine!
ι«˜ζœ¨γ•γ‚“γŒη¬‘γ£γ¦ = Takagi-san laughs (with 笑って being conjuctive)
ε…ˆη”Ÿγ«ζ€’γ‚‰γ‚Œγ•γˆγ™γ‚Œγ° = as long as (subject) recieves anger from the teacher
I’m going to guess that Takagi-san carries over as subject so now you have:
ι«˜ζœ¨γ•γ‚“γŒη¬‘γ£γ¦γ€ε…ˆη”Ÿγ«ζ€’γ‚‰γ‚Œγ•γˆγ™γ‚Œγ° = as long as Takagi-san laughs and recieves anger from the teacher
The only thing I’m not entirely sure on is the γ‚ͺレは on the end. Is it a contrastive は? So it’d be following on from the conditional clause like β€œthen I, on the other hand-”

6 Likes