Suggestions for wanikani in 2023

I’d love to see an upgrade to example sentences that works like Bunpro - not necessarily with audio accompaniment (though that would be cool), but I like that in Bunpro the example sentences are a little larger (at least on my font size setting) and that you can hover over all of the kanji to see furigana and click to show/hide it for a particular word sitewide. One of the trickiest thing about example sentences (especially early on) is not knowing all of the vocab beyond the word you’re learning, so this would be a nice built-in feature! I’ve worked around this somewhat now using the Yomichan browser extension, but it’s still nice to definitively know which kanji reading is being used in a sentence.

Secondly, another feature I’d love that I’ve used now with Bunpro is reading lessons! It would be kinda neat to have a few short, themed paragraphs (or a comic?) paired with each kanji level that just helped nudge us toward reading comprehension using 99% kanji learned up to that point. In Bunpro it’s a bit easier perhaps since you’re learning grammar too, but even if Wanikani isn’t explicitly teaching grammar it might be a fun little non-graded exercise (complete with toggleable translation to self-check your understanding). And I’m sure the sentences would only get easier to write as the kanji accumulated over each level. Food for thought, perhaps :slight_smile:

I know kakumei works fine as a fill in for the fact that wanikani doesn’t have an official app…but it’s almost 2023 it’s weird they just don’t have a mobile app at this point. Even just paying the kakumei people and making that app official so they don’t have to redo all that work, idk?

1 Like

I do this with the lesson filter script. A typical lesson session will be 1 kanji and 4 vocab. Takes longer to get through the kanji within a level, but you don’t end up with a pile of 100+ vocab to learn at the level up dump and, like you, I feel that it helps to solidify the kanji I’ve recently learned.

@deliana88 @seeji Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will definitely explore these.

1 Like

I get a lot of transitive and intransitive verb pairs or verbs that include a specific kanji mixed up. I wish there were a way to quiz myself on frequent mistakes within families of verbs the way I can do reviews of burned items or frequent mistakes.

3 Likes

Love this. I already have a bunch of mnemonics that are either Japanese or some combination of English and Japanese (Nihonglish?). E.g., we’ve already learned ball Kanji (玉), so I remember “head” (頭、あたま) as “a ball”. I have a bunch of these, and I think it’s a missed opportunity not to use Japanese for mnemonics.

6 Likes

That’s… actually genius! Somehow I never thought of that.

4 Likes

Yeah, so, the thing about “cheating” in WaniKani, is that it doesn’t affect anyone else. There are no head-to-head competitive games or rankings. That’s why I put “cheating” in quotes. If your “cheating” isn’t helping you, then you’re only hurting yourself.

3 Likes

Oh nice, thanks for mentioning the script. I’ll definitely try it out

Native extension support, that doesn’t break when the website ghost updated. So, I might write my own scripts on top. Also, the team (first-party) seems reluctant to put many features in.

I am not sure if this would end up as a desktop app.

Mobile apps are already third-party, and already have most requested features built-in. I don’t think any of them accept plug-ins, though.

Please hide muted threads in the Recent Community Topics block on the dashboard.

1 Like

maybe a different review where it’s multiple-choice or one where you have to pick multiple answers, that way we can learn the other words that are part of the kanji and vocab. or if not fill in the section where we read the sentence in English and fill it in with words scattered around and many other kanjis around that so you have to pick correctly. just suggestions

1 Like

I’d love a little response when a word is burned, eg the word just glows red for a moment or some such. Just a fun little celebration.

7 Likes

Yea, this is exactly what i meant! I’m using the flying durtles app for most of my reviews while i’m on trains to work etc. This one already comes with quite a bunch of handy scripts but I think thats not one of them. Also I feel like that this would be a really easy feature to implement and there is no reason to count an answer as wrong if the mistake is in the part that’s already part of the question.

1 Like

I strongly recommend you to try flying durtles instead of kakumei if it’s available for your phone. Their format for lessons is super duper good and you don’t need to be connected to the internet 24/7 which is a lifesaver when using your phone on the subway.

1 Like

I wish there was a way to find specific notes to words I’ve made, like a note history. Also, sometimes I type pronunciations wrong for words and I’d like there to be a way for users to retry. Lastly, this isn’t really important, but I’d also like a reward for when I finish level 60, maybe a cool digital achievement like Duolingo’s bird trophy for their Japanese course.

Thanks WaniKani Community for a wonderful year!

1 Like

If there were some animations when reaching a new level it would be very interesting

2 Likes

Also, like many other sites, a WaniKani Recap would be awesome.

2 Likes

Except for obvious one-to-one words like “cat” or “night,” I’d recommend giving each vocabulary item a definition. Even just a translated definition from a Japanese-to-Japanese dictionary like 大辞林. Every once in a while I’ll discover the hard way that I had the wrong mental image of some word that I thought I knew.

Now that I study kanji on my own, I wish WaniKani did more to consciously tie radicals to 音読み. I know there are a ton of exceptions, but when I see 阻 or 祖 or 租 or 粗 or 疽 and I know the reading is probably ソ, that saves a lot of time, even to look the word up.

Beyond that, I’d just add more kanji and more commonly-used words.

6 Likes

I guess the obvious thing we should be asking for is more Kanji. Shoudn’t we have at least 2,500?

5 Likes