Suggestion: add "rendezvous" or "meeting" or "assignation" as another meaning for 待合

Currently, there are only two meanings for 待合 on WaniKani: Waiting room and Meeting place.
But 待合 is also listed as する verb… I don’t think I’ve ever waiting roomed or meeting placed:thinking:

2 Likes

Never heard “assignation” in my life, but I don’t see an issue with the others.

Not saying I see an issue with “assignation” per se… I just have never seen it, so I can’t say anything about that.

3 Likes

It was one of the jisho meanings, so I added it:

1 Like

I do agree with rendezvous; I already have it added to my own synonym list.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly assignation is similar in meaning to rendezvous, but usually with the connotation that it’s supposed to be secret. It can probably be added to the allow list, as it’s a bit obscure but in some contexts still a valid translation.

5 Likes

Huh, I’d only known assignation as the one related to “assignment.” But Dictionary.com lists another definition as well: an appointment for a meeting, especially a lover’s secret rendezvous. (And in the British dictionary they’ve added: a secret or forbidden arrangement to meet, esp. one between lovers)

You learn something new every day!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.