Sudden trouble seeing the curveballs

I’m not sure what this means, but I feel like maybe you should be a bit careful about ascribing motivations to others.

My reasoning for sticking to as optimal a pace as I could manage was simply to be able to actually read Japanese as quickly as possible. I’m not sure why this would mean that I have a statistical approach to the language as a whole.

乗る is actually the correct verb to use for riding a bike. As in 自転車に乗る.

Indeed.

Where do you hear people saying that? No one advocates skipping content except for a couple random people who mostly aren’t active these days, and they weren’t advocating skipping stuff for the sake of leveling up quickly.

I don’t skip any content, and I have an overall accuracy of 98%.

But I’m not doing WK to have good stats, I’m trying to learn as much as I can so that I can use my knowledge.

Getting back to what you said about everyone’s pace, you seem to be okay with any pace as long as it’s not fast.

Maybe triple-check that one.

I do two lists using Google Keep. I use one to copy everything I get wrong into to look at again later. Some of these are silly mistakes, some mistypes etc. When trends appear I make another list of common mistakes eg similar kanji I always mistake for each other, vocab I always get the reading/meaning wrong for etc. I tend to review these by looking at other words, looking at individual kanji meanings (the exist one above is a good example) and so on.

Yes the SRS will do its thing but I’d rather know the material sooner rather than later. That said, it’s not the end of the world to get something wrong.

EDIT: I’m a recently new fan of the Leech list here also. A good way to see what I get wrong the most and to put a bit more effort in https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wktoys/leechDetector.htm

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It seems to me that the most common answer to the question “to rendadu or not to rendaku?” is “I just go with what rolls of the tongue the best” and it’s sort of the right answer but it doesn’t help much. It could be the case that until now your vocabulary has contained few enough words that you could handle them individually. But as the vocabulary increases it gets harder and harder and maybe the brain tries to see patterns that aren’t really there and such. So simply powering through with the hope of soon being able to see through the matrix is, in my opinion, a viable strategy.

… That being said, making a list of all the troublemakers is a great idea. See them all together. Figure out why you get precisely those wrong (there is probably no reason, but it might still solidify the memory).

There’s some merit to the competitiveness of it all, I think. I don’t wanna spend the weekend playing The Witcher 3 anymore… I got this new much more awesome game (in other words wanikani) I wanna play instead. So naturally, I want to try beat my personal best level-up time… But of course, it should only be a source of motivation and not the main reason.

When I first joined WaniKani in September 2016, the term “gamification” was used frequently to explain why WaniKani worked. Gamification can be good and can be bad.

For me gamification was the challenge to level up. With this game, there are also statistics. In the API and Third Party Apps board, there are tools for viewing statistics about WaniKani progress. The WaniKani dashboard itself keeps a list of how many items are in each queue. There is even a thread somewhere inviting people to post images of that queue.

The practice of wanting to level up quickly is a motivator. However, if I make the mistake of comparing my performance against someone else’s it can be quickly demotivating.

I like looking at my own stats so that I can assess my own performance. I compare today with seven days ago. I compete with myself.

@GregoryKirk: use the this userscript to help you identify whether kunyomi or onyomi is required. After a while, you won’t even need that prompt.

Use the aforementioned Leech Detector script to work out which items are really giving you frustration.

Use the wanikani to Anki Exporter’s critical items option to drill your least accurate items in Anki.

Here is a shorter list of leech items.

If 人(にん and じん) are giving you problems, go to this thread.

I agree that the gamification aspect is a big boost to motivation for me as well! :slight_smile:

I was mostly reacting to what to me seemed like the notion that studying hard and/or efficiently and advancing quickly was somehow indicative of not actually studying for the sake of actually learning Japanese.

Dang, my Japanese teacher said you could also use the basic する as well! Thanks for the help!

It’s possible that at this point the number of reviews is starting to come back to you and your workload is increasing.

I’d recommend doing less lessons per sitting, and also spending more time on your lesson before doing the end-of-lesson quiz.

Finally, if you say the reading before the meaning every time either question comes up, you will increase the links in your brain and your retention.

頑張って!

Your Japanese teacher told you you could use する with 自転車?

I feel like that makes sense… “I’m biking!” Instead of “I’m riding my bike!”. (My English brain sees it that way…) EDIT: I’d love to see a second person say this is okay, though.

[sorry for any confusion… edited for clarification]

For whatever it’s worth, I found only 2 instances of 自転車 used with する via http://www.kotonoha.gr.jp/shonagon/, and they are in the form “自転車にする”. The two instances come from books, one published in 1984, the other in 1999. There are no instances of 自転車する or 自転車をする, which are the forms you might expect for “to bicycle” if that was a common form.

Compare that to 314 instances of 自転車に乗* and 6 instances of 自転車を乗*

自転車にする would be “decide on a bike” wouldn’t it? The にする grammar point.

You can’t をする a bike.

Snippet 1:

…こで思いついたのがつぎのような方法である。 家から駅までの道のりは、バスをやめて自転車にすること。また、会社のある国電の駅の一つ手前で降り、歩くことにしたのである。時間にし…

Snippet 2:

…ース、言葉の暴力はどうしたらよいかなど深刻なケースの話も多い。が反面、移動手段を自転車にすると、利用者から買い物の量を増やされたり、あちこちの店に行かされたという話や、お茶…

I’m just a beginner, but to me both of those snippets seem like they could be “decide on biking”.

Anyway, the Konoha website looks pretty neat; I can’t wait till I know enough to use it properly.

Yeah, I see no reason to think it’s not “decide on a bike.”

I agree. And those two were the only instances of 自転車 used with する. No instances of 自転車する or 自転車をする.

Thanks for this!
Yeah, I was expecting 自転車する, as if bike could stand nearly on it’s own like other する verbs. Thanks for clearing this up… My that’s quite infrequent!

closed #28

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.