Struggles with remembering Hiragana and Katakana words

I SHOULD STOP MAKING USELESS TOPICS JUST BECAUSE I WANT TO SAY STUFF ON THE INTERNET

Like I can remember Kanji very well, but I will instantly forget Hiragana words, I struggle less with Katakana

it has been an entire year

I keep on forgetting stuff like これ and それ super easily

I just know what to do, like maybe Actually try reading stuff

But I will repeat this multiple times

I feel a little scared

Edit: I’m currently using a website for grammar and it’s really helping me. This conversation made me laugh.

リー: 今日は忙しい?
スミス: うん、忙しい。
リー: 明日は?
スミス: 明日 忙しい。
リー: あさっては?
スミス: あさって
リー: 本当?

5 Likes

Do you use another SRS system for those words? I use a custom Anki deck for words outside WK. Reading/writing/listening/speaking help a lot too.

Do you know the pattern for those words? The beginning of the word changes depending on literal or figurative distance from the speaker and listener

close to speaker close to listener not close to either unknown
これ それ あれ どれ
この その あの どの
ここ そこ あそこ どこ
こちら そちら あちら どちら
8 Likes

I’d rather not use another SRS

OK NOW KNOWING THE PATTERN MAKES EVERYTHING WAY EASIER TYSM

I’m scared of the writing part because I feel everyone will judge me, but reading is something I can do, and I may struggle with listening, unless I’m reading Japanese subtitles along with it. I have no one to talk to h

Too bad Konami decided to delete those old pop’n music sites that I used to use to practice reading. I can still just switch multiple things languages to Japanese and practice anyways. Those were just extremely fun to read

1 Like

I totally understand not wanting to use another SRS. I didn’t consistently use Anki until after I reached level 60. However, one of the things I like about Anki’s default set up is that reviews are really fast - for example, today I did 59 reviews in 6 minutes. If you only have a small deck with common hiragana/katakana items it shouldn’t take that much time out of your schedule.

I’ve watched a heaping ton of anime with subtitles and I believe it helped me a lot. I was actually motivated to start learning in the first place because I was having fun picking up words and phrases from the shows I was watching.

2 Likes

only a few anime, animes?? (don’t judgE) have managed to grab my attention ugnjns but like

I listen to music while reading the lyrics, and it helps

I should also try with the few anime(s??) I watch because I don’t think People Speak Japanese By Singing

I’ve heard that childrens anime also really helps, so ye

1 Like

I forgot to include the words that start with ど ! I added them to the table

1 Like

Try getting a textbook like Genki. It will explain a lot of things, including that chart mentioned above.

PS- My first post.

4 Likes

Hmm, I’ve been wanting textbooks

I feel special tbh tysm

Grammar studies would likely help you here. You’re going to be reading a lot of example Japanese sentences as you study grammar, and in those you’ll see and come to recognize a lot of common words. This can act as a foundation for your reading and help you progress to reading other things like graded readers.

7 Likes

Once you start to read at all (including just examples in grammar texts), super common words that often appear in hiragana will become pretty easy to recognize and remember. Personally I think most words using kun-yomi are always going to be harder to remember than words using on-yomi, because onyomi is basically a convenient cheat sheet (once you’re used to kanji). But SRS or just reading and listening a lot will get kunyomi words in your brain.
But of course, you need to get to a place where you can read a lot first. Gotta hit those textbooks.

2 Likes

Try Japanese From Zero textbooks.
I’m on book 3 rn, they have been good

1 Like

What are they like?

They give vocab and explain grammar gradually. They teach you how to write hiragana, katakana and I actually just got into basic kanji in book 3.

I mostly got them for writing, but grammar is explained in baisc words, I understood some things better then before. They got conversations to improve reading and translation.

The only downside I can identify is that there are more typos then you’d expect from a textbook, and sometimes there are things like not referenced vocab.
I have never owned any other Japanese textbooks, but from what I understand JFZ are more down-to-earth than say Genki.

1 Like

hmm, ill consider it

don’t forget that you can still make up reading based mnemonics for kana-only words (if you’re a mnemonic person)

EDIT: And this is def not a useless topic

2 Likes

Oh yeah

I should do that, they do tend to help me.

I just tend to feel like they are, ah

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.