Steel Ball Run dialogue

This is sort of a vague question, and I dont know that it deserves an entire thread, but I’ve recently started reading Steel Ball Run in japanese. Among the few things I’ve tried reading so far, I’ve noticed that one is particularly hard to follow and seems like I’m looking things up constantly.

My question is, is Araki using some unusual or antiquated dialect, or am I just way worse at this than I thought? I’ve gotten through a few other books here and there, but this has been a struggle, and im wondering if im just learning a bunch of obsolete vocabulary for no reason.

1 Like

He is one of the few Mangaka that I read as easily as I read English. You probably are just new to reading and haven’t gotten used to more rough sounding Japanese. He tends to use more “thugish” sounding Japanese, so a lot of ラララ and じゃねえ and frankly “quirky” speaking styles. やれやれだぜ。

1 Like

I’ve read Yu Yu Hakusho vol 1 and Hajime No Ippo vol 1, so I figured I could at least recognize “thuggish” language. I just figured maybe since SBR is set in the 1800’s, there might be some archaic language in there or something. I guess I’ll come back to it later :+1:

1 Like

“Archaic,” no. Words for things that are old, yes. As opposed to old words for things.

1 Like

That makes sense. Thanks.

Araki tends to write out dialects a lot I feel. I haven’t gotten to SBR yet, but the way people speak in BT/SDC/DIU/GW all differs quite a bit. It’s possible he wanted to go for a more obscure speech style since it’s set in the 1800s.

Other manga I’ve read typically go for more contemporary slang styles as far as I can tell.

3 Likes

That was my immediate suspicion. His art has always been heavily stylized, I suspected maybe his writing followed suit…

1 Like