[STATS] Statistics site

What about creating a framework, which is implementing the v1 API on top of the v2 API?

A wrapper would probably be better - a piece of code that outputs the same data as the v1 API but calls the v2 API instead. In software parlance, we usually refer to that as an adapter. But if the code is tightly tied to the v1 API, that would not be easy to pull off.

There is a small issue that keeps me from accessing this site. I created a token without checking any of the boxes and when I enter it in, it keeps telling me that it is an Invalid Key or that It Cannot be Found. Does anyone know the solution to this>?

1 Like

Are you absolutely sure that there isnā€™t a leading space before the code or a trailing space after the code? Thatā€™s one of more common reasons for a key being rejected.

1 Like

I just made sure that I had no spaces before or after the code, but it still gave me the ā€œCannot be Foundā€ as I entered it :frowning:

Hmm, only other thing I can think of off the top of my head would be clearing your browser cache, if youā€™d used wkstats before the V1 site changed over the V2 one.

You can find instructions for various browsers here: www.refreshyourcache.com

1 Like

Thank you! Will try that right now

Looks like you got it to work, correct?

4 Likes

Yup! Sorry for not being able to reply earlier.
The site is unfinished at the moment, right?

@rfindley
I know a lot of people have probably asked this but scrolling through this huge thread Iā€™m still trying to figure out how to download the code for this website.
I saw somewhere you said you could but I couldnā€™t actually find the response where you said how to do it

I think you just use inspect elementā€¦ it should be in JS. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Iā€™m really missing the projections now.

10 Likes

Why does the site submit my API key to POST /help/submit?

Any time someone asks for help in the forums, I can look up their last-used API key to see their data and see whatā€™s wrong.

4 Likes

You may want to provide a privacy opt-outā€¦

From an infosec perspective, I canā€™t really see an issue. It doesnā€™t enter into the realm of identifiable data points (such as what GDPR would concern itself with) and therefore doesnā€™t constitute a privacy issue. Permission to access the API key is already given by giving the API key and the assumption that should be made whenever you give this out should be that the person who controls the site or app has visibility of this data.

The only opt-out would be ā€œI donā€™t wish for for help troubleshooting my issueā€

6 Likes

I may add an opt-out if I have time someday. To be honest, though, itā€™s pretty much the lowest priority thing on my list. The only information collected or stored is the one thing that people provide directly (their API key), and people can revoke their keys at any time via WK, making that one piece of info irrelevant. User behavior is not collected, tracked, stored, shared, or sold at all, and the API keys are not seen, used, or accessed by anyone unless the user reports a problem. At one time, I considered adding aggregate statistics to wkstats, but that would also not contain any identifiable information (and I canā€™t justify investing the time to implement it now anyway).

8 Likes

My 2Ā¢ here - the progress one has on wanikani is among the least of the PII concerns one might haveā€¦ More precisely, the progress a given account name (which, if one is privacy concerned, surely has no relation to their real persona).

So, thanks for the site, and +1 on this not being a real issue.

5 Likes

I second this. I canā€™t wait to see the site as it unfolds (if the projections page doesnā€™t enter the WK Lore & Culture Collection) :joy:

Just searched the forums to see if anyone had already mentioned the projections page still missing from wkstats 2.0 to the author :cry:
It was my favourite part of wkstats and I loved to click through it and see how far Iā€™ll get on Twitter etc with my Kanji and feel motivated to learn.
But I guess the people already mentioned it plenty. :smiley: So 1+ I guess.
Here is a :cookie: for coding motivation!