[STATS] Statistics site

Strangely, the level timer for the last level and current level has been completely messed up, I spent about 7 days on the last level and just started the current one. I wonder if this has something to do with the recent update.

Nope, it’s a problem with the guesstimates that the site has to make because APIv1 doesn’t provide level-up information directly.

But you can start transitioning to the new version of the site (https://www.wkstats.com:10001/). It’s not completely done yet, but the level-up graph works well.

2 Likes

I would be careful about doing this, as you may need to get consent from users before storing and adding it to your aggregate pile. I’m not a data protection expert so I don’t know, but I would just be careful about that.

One change I would suggest is having the dashboard, level-up and projections stats on the same page (like the original site). It’s kind of annoying having to click through to see them, and I would venture a guess that many people like to look at some combinations of the three charts/tables at the same time.

2 Likes

These kanji are oddly misplaced. For example: 私 should be in level 6. not level 14. Is it just because it is a bit outdated?

Yes. The new content update moved a few kanji around and it seems that the old site is not going to be updated

1 Like

@mikkreb,
I’ve updated the Items->Wanikani screens on the old (current) site now.
However, the Charts tabs will still be out of date, and progress calculations may be slightly off due to changes in short levels.

I still recommend using the new version of the site for accuracy, even though it’s not done yet. (https://www.wkstats.com:10001/)

1 Like

I plan to do something like that when I’m done with the new site. For now, it’s a lot easier to work on when each piece is separate.

2 Likes

b b b but the old site is better than the new site :disappointed_relieved:
it was simple, quick, ‘in and out’ the new site is full of menus, and buttons, and looks like it will have a subscription page at some point :scream_cat:

What?? Not my site. What gave you that idea?

Anyway, as I said, the pieces are only separate right now because it’s easier for me to work on. When it’s done, the dashboard will have all of the most popular stuff in one spot just like the current site… though probably configurable.

3 Likes

My stats page has been inaccurate for the past 2 levels. I didn’t worry about it last time because I thought things were just off due to the update, but it has done it again for this level.

As you can see, it says “level up in 0 days 0 hours 0 minutes”. I cleared my reviews and it still shows this and I did not level up. I’m guessing I’m going to level up at my kanji reviews later today, but I’m not sure why my stats page doesn’t reflect that.

(this is for V2)

1 Like

Is it only for me?

“Level-up In” isn’t complete yet. It’s based on the longer of:

• Typical Level-Up
  • Soonest possible level-up

But “soonest possible” isn’t implemented yet since it’s part of the missing “Projections” calculations.
So, it will give you a good number up until you pass your Typical Level-Up… at which point it will start reading zero.

2 Likes

Fixed…

Noted, thank you!

I respectfully disagree. I could see an argument for the main components being separate being a minor inconvenience, but @rfindley has already addressed that it’s on his to-do list for down the line.

However, in every other aspect, I’m digging the new site. From the new level-up history having median added (small thing, but in my case more representative of my pace than my average) all the way to the greatly improved, and customizable items lists and new charts that show cumulative progress (which I think is very cool to be able to see easily), I can’t wait to see what other features and improvements get added. This is a site I use regularly to address my progress and re-evaluate my long-term study plan, and honestly that there is someone out there making a site like this for the common-good for free is amazing, imo.

5 Likes

Makes perfect sense. Thanks. :slight_smile:

The stats site seems a bit confused about my progress:

I’m pretty sure I didn’t take 48 years to do level 56 after teleporting through level 55 instantaneously.

I suspect this is something to do with me (ab)using the reorder script to expedite kanji reviews for a couple of levels before I gave in and stopped my attempt at taking the “fast levels challenge”.

Looking at my auto-populated google doc scraping the API every midnight, my time on levels in days was more like:

53: 3
54: 4 (not 50)
55: 4 (not 0)
56: 4 (not 17832)
57: 7 (not ~3½)
58: 6 (not 9)

2 Likes

The current version of the site uses Wanikani’s APIv1, which is missing level-up times, so wkstats has to guesstimate. Some people’s data is too complex to be able to guess well, and you get strange results.

You can use the new (but not yet complete) version of the site at https://www.wkstats.com:10001/. It uses Wanikani’s newer APIv2, which has more info and gives better results.

1 Like

Thanks for the new site @rfindley
At the beginning I checked it on my iPad and the login form isn’t displayed (either on Safari or Firefox). There’s just the header.
But it displays fine on desktop.

So, I assume the “fastest” parameter just means doing things as soon as they’re available, both lessons and reviews? And the estimate will get more accurate as I level up more?