Started my journey hopefully to work as a doctor in Japan

Sorry for the long reply,I tried to answer everyone;

@Ncastaneda There is a way but it is extremely hard and I think very rarely done as I read from forums or saw from youtube channels. And one of the posts I saw on Reddit was saying even when you get certified most hospitals wouldn’t wanna hire you because you are a foreigner therefore one of the important things is to know people who can recommend you. Most people choose to open private work or do research. Not discouraged I know this is going to be hard from the start. Thanks for the wishes.
@s1212z @brawnhilda I’m from Turkey. And Turkish and Japanese family structure in terms of family connections, respect, raising values is very similar. Turkey is becoming more individualistic like western societies but we can say it’s an ongoing process.
My father is also a psychiatrist so thanks to him I was in the psychiatry community/world since I was a kid. And even though I am not in the residency yet I can understand psychiatry on an academic level. I’m not gonna say I can totally give a presentation but at least I know the concepts. :smiley:
@ElVictor @tobytaken I’m from Turkey as I said above. we do follow the international standards and actually our medical education is also similar to Japan(six years). But even if you follow the standards Japanese government wants you to do a 2 years of clinical rotation after passing the exams(JLPT and Certification).Although I’m not so sure about that.
@TheProfessor I haven’t selected yet because I couldn’t decide whether to study with my native language or study with English. Turkish is an agglutinating language like Japanese. I don’t know if these make sense to you but basically my native language is way more similar to Japanese sentence structure. But the resources in my native language is very scarce and English resources are just nearly infinite. In conclusion I am in a dilemma. I already follow a bunch of Youtube channels. Thank you for the recommendations I’ll check them out.
@sunrizen Yes, thank you actually I’m already following his channel and requested a video about foreigners. I’ll link if he responds.

Edit: Removed the Ural-Altaic sentence. With the replies I now know that is not a proven thing. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2 Likes

We’ve had threads about this before, but I don’t know how commonly this is held outside of Turkey. The generally accepted position in Japan (and most elsewhere, from what I can tell) is that it’s an isolated language.

2 Likes

Funny story, my Japanese mum recently mentioned she was watching some historical drama about the Ottoman empire and was saying she found it really similar to Japanese culture.

1 Like
  1. there is no such thing as the Altaic language family, and it has been wildly discredited for decades now, with its only support coming from the fringes. Even before that, Ural-Altaic was never ever accepted in any notable way.

2. I don’t really think N1 matters here because most Japanese people don’t know the JLPT and on top of that any tests you have to take will be in Japanese anyway, so your Japanese ability will be checked via that anyway.

3. The most reasonable goal would be to look into the MEXT Postdoc fellowships.

I’m no language expert and I only remember this from like middle school. I just checked the wikipedia (Altaic languages - Wikipedia) this is very debated subject. What I meant only Japanese is similar to Turkish structure and pronunciation-wise. Not the Kanji or the Meaning is similar.

Your problem is pretty much mine, just that I’m a law student. And from the English information I could gather it was the exact same advice. Study Law in Japan to be recognized.

3 Likes

Yes, especially old times even the house designs nearly identical. We are not using the same style but still the baths, squatting restrooms(I dont know what do they call this in Japanese we say Alaturka restrooms), removing shoes custom are going on.

1 Like

JLPT is also by far not the best test to test actual language abilities. Unfortunately for Japanese, there isn’t a recognized alternative but when I compare it what CEFR tests test for other languages … it’s just way more difficult.

Someone online compared the N1 to B2 or maybe B2+, but for working as a doctor you probably need C2 abilities. I guess, you probably even need to know how to write Kanji for prescriptions…

1 Like

Most drug names are katakana, whether they were developed in Japan or not.

Idk, my doctor also writes down health Information in the card by hand so I guess, there will be still some Kanji needed… there might not only be drug names but also some notes on the general condition so…

At least, this is what my doctors are doing. I also sometimes get notes from them to take to another doctor, all written by hand. Idk, maybe in Japan everything is typed but I wouldn’t count on that.

I imagine any level of kanji usage in that regard would be fairly repetitive, even if the words were uncommon, so I think it wouldn’t be too tough for someone to pick up.

Oh, I thought you were talking about your doctors in Japan. I’ve never received a handwritten prescription in Japan. It’s always a printed document with a hanko stamp.

The forms typically look like some variation of this

3 Likes

I’m no expert on doctors in Japan, but do you not remember back in May when everyone collectively sighed at Japan due to the legal requirement for Doctors to handwrite Corona information and fax it to the gov’t?

You may get a printed form, but I’d be very surprised if there isn’t some handwritten basis for it somewhere.

1 Like

Welcome!!!

I am no doctor but I came to give you my penny on the subject. I hope it helps in any way!!

I lived in South Korea for 7 years, it is not Japan, so the rules are most likely different in many ways. But I worked as an advisor for international Researchers (specifically those that worked with something related to science, technology and biotech) that wanted to come to Korea for studies, work or research in general. Korea is also a country that do not accept foreign Doctors very easily, there are a bunch of tests in Korean that international doctors must pass in order to be able to act as a regular doctor at a hospital there. Which makes it almost impossible for foreigners.

However, I met many researchers and doctors that were able to actually surpass all that and work in the country, and through those I learned what were their strategies in order to get that. This is what I want to share with you today. Like a said, everything that I will mention is about South Korea, it is up to you to check if it may apply in Japan as well.

• Do a Masters or Doctorate in the country. When your education comes from the country you are trying to work at, it makes everything a lot easier. Not only you acquire new useful contacts in your specific area, your future employer knows the system you went through and believes in it. If you have any possibility of getting a scholarship and studying in the country in any way, really go for it because it will help.

• As a doctor, try doing you residency there. Hospitals may be very wary of hiring full time foreign doctors, but many big and internacional hospitals would happily have many of foreign interns. It looks good for international hospitals to have international faces and many of them have subsidy from the government to have such programs to bring residents. This is a very good opportunity for you to be able to experience the country and not only decide if that is what you want but also make connections that may help with getting a full time position.

• Search for Clinics (easier than hospitals) run by foreign Doctors and try applying there. Nationals that have worked abroad or other foreign doctors are much more likely to not be put off by the thought of working with foreigners. They might be more welcoming on receiving your application for a job or internship.

• Do learn the language. In Asia you need to have a very high proficiency of their language to be taken seriously. If you truly want to immerse in the country and work next to nationals, it is of the most importance that you have an advanced level of Japanese. Language tests do help, and EVERY certificate you ever had in your whole life helps as well. Volunteer work, language certificates, extra courses certificates, etc… They are very logical when looking at CV’s: so grades, certificates and recommendation letters are evaluated and compared between all applicants to exhaustion. Do all your language tests and other courses in your area you can (if you can do summer courses or participate in seminars in Japan it would be awesome).

• Instead of applying to do clinical work you could also try the research path. It is much easier for foreigns to live in new countries, specially in Asia, if the reason is research instead of the normal hospital - patient work.

You are in for a bumpy road but I don’t think it is impossible. You are probably super smart and I think you are on the right path!! I hope whatever I wrote here can bring you some value and maybe help you in any way! Don’t give up!! You can do it!!!

9 Likes

Sure, I can’t speak to the job overall… just prescriptions specifically. I’m sure they usually do write things in other contexts regularly.

was it ertugrul im sorry my parents are obsessed with that drama

u can totally do it op :durtle_durtverted_lvl1: and even if u end up changing ur mind at least u will know japanese

2 Likes

I thought doctors in Japan were actually required to know german. :man_juggling:t2: Op will not be bored for a looong time…

Apparently it’s called Magnificent Century? It has 139 episodes which is kind of crazy to me lol

1 Like

You don’t meet to many Meiji period doctors these days.

2 Likes

No one can tell you you can’t do it, and if you’re looking for support there’s no better place than these forums.

One question I have is: are you really sure you want to live in Japan, and if yes, why? As far as I understand, you’ve never been to Japan and most of your exposure is through media (either anime or books). Let me tell you that those are hardly representative of Japan and the life there. The task you are about to embark (getting fluent in japanese at an academic level) is so eroic, that I would want to make sure that your dream corresponds to reality.

If I were you I would do whatever it takes to go and stay there for as long as your country’s tourist visa allows you and get an idea first hand. If possible, you should try not to view it as a tourist, but as a workplace.

In any case, I wish you good luck. Your idea seems crazy at first, but who better than a psychiatrist can conquer that! :smiley:

9 Likes

Is psychoanalysis frequently used by psychiatrists in Japan?
I thought that it was not very popular there. And if it was… it must have had a lot of different theoretical and maybe practical adjustments from the western tradition, right?