(SPOILER EDITION) Descent of the Durtle into Madness

So it looks like I need to take a small diversion from work today to look for Japanese for Busy People in the library.

oh the irony…

That’s what I have too.

Here is my transcript

2か ⬤⬤⬤ にほんごのきょうしつ ⬤⬤⬤
NIKA JapaneseClassroom

By the end of this lesson, you will be able to communicate the information below in the given situations.

【1-2タスク1】
Ask your teacher to give you another worksheet. The teacher scolds you and tells you where it is. You thank him/her.

【1-2タスク2】
You lost (なくしました NAKUSHIMASHITA) your cap and bag. Go to the lost and found counter and tell the person in charge which one is yours.

Without the title and punctuation:

BytheendofthislessonyouwillbeabletocommunicatetheinformationbelowinthegivensituationsAskyourteachertogiveyouanotherworksheetTheteacherscoldsyouandtellsyouwhereitisYouthankhimher

Crazy theory

What I find interesting is that the Genki code is very easy to follow: Processed image
The code only goes up with 1 24 29 41 50 84 even though it doesn’t need to. It could be 1 24 10 41 17 4 if we only want “Turtle” with the first occurence of each letter. And that’s not the case with the other codes, the indexes are not sorted.

So since Genki (the book) is easy to follow, maybe the method of indexing is the easiest. And maybe the indexing is different for some books, based on a way that the actual book is used (like, going back, etc). So I’m reading the Tofugu article to see if the review of the book is a hint to the index processing.

Genki has the following pros:

• Reliable lesson structure
  • Scaffolding progression

which seem to correlate to the Book cipher code order: easy to follow.

That might be a coincidence and lead to nowhere, but I’m following this trail.
I’m trying to see if a book is heavily relying on the previous lessons to continue, maybe the indexes need to be summed with the previous one, etc.

Edit:

For example, Minna no Nihongo has the following con:

• Requires second “translation book” to use the main textbook

which is exactly what we stumbled on. Maybe we need to use the translation book on the corresponding page to index the real keyword.

Maybe… but unless there is a hidden clue with these Eating turtles… it looks like we just need 4 words (and we have at least 2) so many of the books are just to confuse us… (unko??)

There has been so many “Maybes” since the start of the descent :smile:

unko… turtle… eating…

This has got to be something similar to “crabigators eat butts”.

Yeah. Maybe something like “____ eats turtle poop” or something

and it’s not “Koichi eats turtle poop”, as much fun as that would be.

@Toyger or @irrelephant,
I noticed in Japanese the Manga Way that it has numbered paragraphs in gray boxes. Could you post a scan of the page that has box number 43 (instead of page 43)?

de-lurks

I’ve also got a copy of the correct JtMW, do you want the full page the box appears on or just box 43?

Just the box is fine. And any other similarly-numbered things if there are any.

Here you go.

I got vernoh from counting the letters in the box, though, so probably not a word.

I love the fact that you have the word PRAYER in large friendly letters at the top of your page :joy:
Also, nice to meet another とんぼ :smiley:

I had tried vigenere-cipher, but the challenge there is that the input sequences have too large an alphabet to believe that Vigenere is the solution here.

Will you be able to get it?
Is there anyone else who has access to it?
Or should I pursue drastic measures? (interlibrary loan - free, but will take a little hassle and at least a day or two for it to be delivered. I am willing to do this if necessary.)

I was thinking I’d drop into my local Kinokuniya this weekend if we don’t have it earlier.

Bet you after all this fuss that the pages are going to be identical…

Does someone have a copy of a different version? I was trying Amazon’s Look Inside, even though it said it was the 2006 paperback edition, and it showed lots of pages, including 22 and 25, but not 23…

I got vertoh, but that’s no better than vernoh.

I’ve got the 1995 version of JFBP, wrong ISBN but here’s a photo just in case…

hmm, it looks quite a bit different from a page 23 that I found online from the 2006 edition, so I think we really need to get our hands on the 2011 just to be sure.

Aye, several of us have the 2006 edition. Page 23 in that version is a list of numbers and times of day written in Japanese, so pretty much the only English text on the page is “II. Numbers” and “III. Times”

We really have no idea how we’re supposed to handle kana or kanji for this cipher, do we? The only answers that we have confidence in have come from pages where there isn’t any kana or kanji within the range of the letter numbers listed…

I’ve been trying various methods on the pages with kana:

• count one kana as one “letter”
  • romanize the kana (difficult to decide which romanization system to use)
  • skip kana and kanji

But no luck so far any way :confused: