Sometimes I enter the on'yomi on the meaning page

Things like this come up every so often. Best advice is still, as ever: slow your roll.

That and it should be very obvious whether it’s expecting reading or meaning, if you’re typing with a western keyboard, and it’s either coming out in kana or ABC’s…

2 Likes

Double-Check script shakes when you answer with (correct) reading for the meaning.

Hi skatefriday! Like others have said, we don’t plan on changing this anytime soon. Since our system automatically converts your writing into Japanese if it’s looking for the meaning, you should be able to notice right away if you’re typing in a different answer than the one it’s looking for. Slowing down definitely helps with this :raised_hands:.

4 Likes

I was about to comment this, unless I’m not understanding the OP properly. If the character isn’t getting converted to kana, it obviously wants the meaning. I honestly don’t know how anyone can make this kind of mistake. I’ve seen more than one thread about it too.

1 Like

i had this problem also. sometimes i type so fast that i hit enter before i notice it’s looking for a different type of answer.

my solution was to install the override script and just redo the question when this happens

here’s the override script: [Userscript] Wanikani Override ("ignore answer button")

Wait, isn’t that for the reading?

Me too, I guess you have to not be looking at your screen when you type in the answer to make this mistake? Because on top of seeing the white background you see that it’s not converting to kana.

What but, don’t you check in some way what it’s looking for first? So you just conclude it’s looking for the reading or something and then proceed to type in your answer? Even though the background’s white?

1 Like

sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain :expressionless:

1 Like

Most of the ones who do are usually below level 10 or 15. By the time you hit 20 you’ve either gotten used to it or you’ve started using scripts or 3rd party apps.

I’m usually looking at the kanji as I type, not at the text that is being entered as my fingers type. Which also means I’m not looking at the white or black. At any rate, I had no idea this would cause this much discussion. I’m fine with the official response from @RachelG. We can all go back to more important things now.

Orthogonally, I was level 7, took a few months off for “reasons” and when came back decided to reset to 2. I’m currently 4, but the circle here seems stuck on 3. No idea why that is.

There’s a minor bug in the forums where your level won’t be updated until you sign out and in again sometimes.

That’s intentional.
If you read vocab wrong, you’ve read it wrong.
A kanji, however, can be read any of the ways that kanji can be read, since it’s not a word.
I doubt it’s going to be changed, because telling you you’ve entered the reading wrong can set you up for remembering the reading of the vocab wrong.
(Example: 入る is read as hairu, NOT iru or nyuuru. But answering i or hai for 入 (as a kanji) would make sense to get the shake, since while it is correct it’s not what Wanikani wants you to answer)

1 Like

Level 9, and I hadn’t noticed this, either. I also occasionally enter readings rather than answers, too. It happens most often when I start speeding up and getting into a rhythm after dozens of reviews in a row.

I’m actually waiting for my next review so I can see the black/white change that I’ve never consciously noticed before! I have noticed the “answer/答え” change, but my brain is apparently well-trained to ignore ghosted text.

Here’s my guesstimated pareto of wrong answers for me personally:

• Just plain wrong (50%?)
  • Fat-fingered text/IME entry (20%? Usually i/o/u mistakes, e.g.: しょ typed as し)
  • Right answer, different synonym or spelling than WK knows (10%? Adding synonym works great.)
  • Accidentally hitting return instead of delete key when fixing typos (10%?)
  • Entering reading when asked for meaning (10%?)

About 10% of my “just plain wrong” mistakes are misreading a character in a vocabulary compound (bad eyes, small screen, inattentive brain).

Sure, it would be nice if WK automagically recognized the 50% or so of my “honest” mistakes, but I can’t really imagine that being worth the effort or even possible. WK is already so fantastic that I’m extremely wary of feeping creatures.

I do use WK almost exclusively on my phone. Slowing down and using it on a full sized keyboard would likely eliminate the majority of errors.

I think using a kana based IME on my phone might, too, but I can’t quite muster the energy to try it.

I certainly understand the annoyance of “honest” mistakes, but it’s good to keep it in perspective: who cares if you see a question a few more times than you really needed to?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.