Some easy to follow anime (listening wise)?

Hope it’s okay to ask here (I was tempted to create my own post earlier but saw this one).

I’m up to the level where I can read shounen manga without a dictionary, I’m roughly N4 in terms of grammar, but I was wondering if anybody had any idea when would be good to jump in and start watching anime.
I was thinking けいおん! or maybe デジモン but I’m not sure when would be the best time to jump in or if there are better things to watch at my level.

Obviously it’s not my sole purpose of learning the language, but it would be neat.

1 Like

I’m at a similar level of grammar and I managed けいおん (although I’ve only watched the first half of the first episode :stuck_out_tongue:) quite well. I’d definitely just jump in and give it a shot!

1 Like

I went with Dragon Ball early on (probably righ at the level you’re mentioning)… I knew the plot and let’s say that Goku ain’t the sharpest kid :laughing: … so that made it fairly easy to follow.

But then I was apealing to my なつかしい side… later I’ve been trying to watch something even mildly interesting, なつかしい aside :grin: , and it’s tougher to find something I can understand and be trully interested… so I would say rewatching content you’ve already watched it’s a fairly good compromise :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah, that’s why I mentioned デジモン、懐かしい and I know the source content.

I’ll probably go into けいおん as I have it on BD.

I also own アプモン on DVD and デジモンテイマーズ on BD, but I feel like けいおん may be easier?
I also have らきすた (the windows IME wanted to put the star in the middle there) which could also be easy.

I’m excited to try and watch my first raw anime! Any tips for watching? Notebook and pen or just natural and relaxed?

1 Like

Since I kinda started the post asking for advice / recommendations myself… I don’t have much more than sharing a bit the way I’m doing things :man_shrugging:

I have a much more intensive approach when reading (I search every unknown word), so for watching I took it the other way, watch a lot… daily… and only when I hear a key word in a dialogue or something that just keeps comming back and I don’t know it, I pause the video and threw it into jisho (I’m getting much better at picking up words, and throwing them into jisho. by the way roman characters usually tends broaden the results for some reason :hushed: ).

This way I’m mostly focused on understanding and overall enjoying the content… which has been such a game changer as compared with the rest of my routine, when I for the most part feel the learning happening… and its rough edges alongside :sweat_smile: … all this put together has made that whenever I just want to watch something and I’m not even thinking in learning japanese… still tend to pick stuff in japanese. :open_mouth:

So overall, don’t force it… and seek material out of a genuine interest in the content itself … that will make you want to come back for more :hugs:

1 Like

I watched らき☆すた with English subtitles and I don’t think it was that complicated, except for the bits at the end (らきチャネル), they’d be a challenge.

Depends how you want to do it really. Personally I wouldn’t write anything down and let yourself learn from context. For example in けいおん the first episode is about clubs so there’s a lot of club terminology that comes up often. You could maybe write down words that come up a lot but I feel like writing down every word you don’t know would take from the fun and be demotivating (depending on how many there are)

1 Like

I’d reccommend slice of life shows to practice vocabulary and grammar like Working!, Non Non Biyori, maybe Lucky Star or movies like 耳をすませば。

Can I ask what you don’t like about 食戟のソーマ ? :sweat_smile:

I guess I arrived to that show looking for an actual cooking show … so the amount of ecchi stuff and then so little actual cooking facts where like … meh… :slightly_frowning_face:

On the other hand Oishinbo it’s all about the cooking, actual cooking, and the level of details it’s surprisingly good; for the most part seems that the writers really got their facts from a good source. Then there’s the scientific / obsessive part of it, where he goes the extra mile to make a point… like taking a piece of sushi to an actual CT scan to prove how tightly the pieces end up beeing contributes to the actual flavor… an extremely modernist approach, right there in the 80’s where the Modernist movement was somewhat unheard off …

I guess Oishinbo resounds with me much more… he might see an octupus and explain how to cook it and what makes an octopus a great ingredient… 食戟のソーマ will throw the octopus around a school girl and put a sauce over the scene to make it about cooking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The manga has recipes, so there’s that…

1 Like

How do you turn off the subtitles in Crunchyroll? I have been trying to figure that out for a couple of weeks.

For me, the player offers an option for subtitle selection when clicking on the gear icon. I don’t know if this feature is region-locked.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t seem to have the “settings’ cog on my iPad app, and there is nothing in the general settings of the app either. Are you watching on a computer or via an app?

I’m watching on the Crunchyroll website. I have never tried any of their apps. That is a bit disappointing to hear, that the apps don’t have this feature. But I guess you could still access the website with a webbrowser on an iPad, even if this is not the ideal solution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.