Sokuon (っ) rules?

If anything, I believe the opposite is true. Both words in English have the stress on the first syllable.

(both screenshots from Cambridge English Dictionary website)

And usually, a “short vowel” sound in English followed by a hard consonant is typically written in katakana includes a small tsu. Hat, net, back, bag, and neck are written ハット、ネット、バック、バッグ、ネック.

So I still think it’s a mystery why ネクタイdoesn’t have a sokuon.

I took a quick glance at this paper to see if there was anything that could explain the discrepancy between necktie and necklace, and I didn’t find anything, but it’s possible I just missed the relevant section. At the very least, those words don’t appear in the paper as examples.

1 Like

I expect the difference is the R. It’s voiced, which means it would be nekuresu, while the ku in nekkutai sounds more like nekktai.

1 Like

That would make some sense. But it’s the opposite: ネックレス and ネクタイ.

@Leebo That’s an interesting study. I certainly didn’t read the whole thing, but beyond phonology, I imagine some of the discrepancies may have to do with what the katakana conventions were when the loanword was imported. This may explain nekutai/nekkuresu.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.