Small story and Various questions about Japanese learning

You’re right, you aren’t very helpful :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Neither are you, mister.

8 Likes

tumblr_ojcl9qOLEe1vaigheo1_500

6 Likes

If not Bunpro, Is there something else? Or should I just stick to textbooks?

Thank you for the reply

0 Likes

As far as something with SRS, I think Bunpro is the first. If you want a free grammar resource, there are a few out there such at Tae Kim’s Guide.

1 Like

I do prefer textbooks, but I can’t say I’ve tried a lot of what’s available. Textbooks work well for me. If you’re curious about what your options are we’ve compiled a list of grammar resources here

3 Likes

I like Bunpro, but I agree with Kumirei that it could use some refinement. When it was a free resource I’d say definitely check it out. Can’t say whether it’s worth the subscription, but the price isn’t crazy to try for a month if you like the trial.

@OverlordBorx

5 Likes

The thing about Bunpro is, unless it’s changed since the last time I looked, it doesn’t actually teach anything. You still have to learn grammar elsewhere and then you use Bunpro to review grammar points.

1 Like

One last question not to bother everyone. If bunpro is a good reviewing tool, whatever lesson I complete there is it safe to assume I know that grammar?

Thank you, everyone.

0 Likes

How do you feel about textbooks in general? Do you feel you really have a good grammar foundation from your old classes, or are you shaky there? If you feel shaky, I would recommend starting with something like Genki to refresh your knowledge, and if need-be you can skip the first few chapters to get to more useful things like te form. You can couple Genki with its workbook to get some additional practice. I also took detailed notes on each grammar point and wrote practice sentences so I could help cement that knowledge in my head, while somewhat improving my writing skills along the way.

If you feel you really do have a good foundational knowledge of grammar, you can move to something like Tobira or Shinkanzen Master, which are both books that teach intermediate grammar. Tobira provides more extensive reading passages and dialogues for practice.

I’m personally not a huge Bunpro fan, although I can admire the work they put into it. But you really do need to actually learn the grammar points somewhere else, and merely use Bunpro as a review tool.

In general you’ll have to use some external method for learning vocab, because WK does not cover enough of the most common words, nor do they cover kana-only words. Some people use things like Memrise or iKnow for this. There are also varying levels of Anki decks available.

1 Like

I feel shaky about my grammar. I intend to review it. I however am really terrible at learning through textbooks. I never feel like I dominate a subject unless I repeat it a lot, which is why bunpro caught my eye. I like wanikani because I know if I have burned an item, I know that kanji for sure, even if it takes me a moment to recall. Thats what I meant for surefire.

What I am thinking is review the grammar I know with bunpro and after that foundation, go towards textbooks. Is that sound?

0 Likes

I wasn’t crazy about Bunpro when I tried it briefly. I found the UI confusing compared to WaniKani.

Other than learning grammar from textbooks, one tool I’d recommend is Human Japanese. I think it’s well-written and you can jump in anywhere. It’s not subscription-based; it’s an app that you pay for and seems to run on most platforms, both desktop and mobile. There are two levels, beginner and intermediate, and both have the first few chapters for free so you can see if you like it before spending the $20 or whatever.

https://humanjapanese.com/

1 Like

Great! I will check it out. WK has made it so easy learning kanji, I just wish to do the same with grammar.

0 Likes

Hmm, honestly I think the best process for basic grammar is…

1. Learn the grammar point. Whether it’s from a textbook or an online source like Tae Kim’s guide, read over it and get an understanding of its usage. How much time you spend on this can vary, because you can take additional notes of your own here for things like similar points, nuance, etc. But you need that initial introduction to it.
  2. Practice the grammar point. One of the best ways to practice is with some beginner-level reading, because you can see the points used in natural sentences, rather than repeatedly referring to some example sentences you may’ve already memorized. For practice with Tobira grammar points, I also mined sentences and put them into my own Anki deck. Practice can also consist of things like Bunpro or workbooks that accompany textbooks, like with Genki.

And repeat! It’s really important to ensure you have a solid understanding of N5 and N4 grammar, because that will make it much easier as you continue to learn new points. It’ll also allow you to expand your reading, and like I said, reading = grammar practice.

3 Likes

For grammar, I’d say check Japanese Ammo with Misa on youtube. Her content is still very beginner (N5 and maybe N4), but since you didn’t mention your level of grammar… It might serve as a great refresher nevertheless. You can complete your knowledge with the textbooks already recommended.

But yeah, for grammar, there’s nothing like WK yet.

Bunpro might be useful for you, depending on your learning style. They offer 1 month for free, so trying won’t hurt.

2 Likes

O grande pereira, ja li tantos posts seus. Haha.

The thing about textbooks is I dont feel safe just reading and not exercising. English was easy to learn, in fact so easy I didnt even use a textbook. The internet was great at correcting my grammar and giving me practice. When you say reading, do you mean actual books or just what the textbooks present you?

Thank you. I will take every piece of advice here and form a plan to get my Japanese back on track.
Thanks to every single one of you.
Keep them advices coming though!

1 Like

Don’t die

1 Like

Unfortunately like jprspereira said, there’s no ultimate WK-equivalent for grammar yet, which means learning and reviewing it will require more effort.

Grammar practice can come in many forms. The workbook exercises for Genki often involve you composing your own sentences, and once you get a bit further along you’re asked to write journal entries. This ensures you know the grammar points, because you must know how to use them in order to construct sentences with them. You can post your journal entries on sites like italki for corrections.

When I say reading, I don’t mean reading actual native Japanese books yet since that’d be extremely arduous. I’m referring to things like 1. the content offered in textbooks (again, Genki offers some good practice reading, designed to quiz you on grammar you just learned), 2. NHK News Easy (the grammar they use is pretty simple to follow but great practice to refresh it nonetheless), 3. Graded readers (these also use more simple grammar and are designed with language learners in mind).

BTW, I don’t mean to imply that you should stay away from Bunpro. Since there is a free trial, you can always give it a whirl and see if it suits your reviewing needs. But I wanted to stress that there are additional forms of practice, and that reading is definitely a necessity because otherwise you have no knowledge of how to apply your new skills. Plus being able to read something is really encouraging. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you sleepy. I totally agree with you and will follow your advices. Wk community is the best.

2 Likes

Ui, parceiro(a) da língua Portuguesa! :slight_smile: Bem-vindo(a)! Espero que os meus posts tenham sido do seu agrado :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have you checked the app HelloTalk? You can find natives of the Japanese language to do an language exchange :slight_smile: That’s pretty much how I’ve been reinforcing my Japanese. I’d have to say that it’s the best way to do it. There they can correct you on your Japanese too while you help them both with English and Portuguese :v:

1 Like