Skip vocabulary

Noooo please don’t. As others have said, the vocabulary is actually the main thing you should learn and focus on since that’s what the language is made of. You should stop caring about leveling fast or wanting everything to be easy. You are learning a language and it’s never going to be a super easy task. But it’s worth challenging yourself.

1 Like

Depends: If your goal is just to “beat WK?” then sure, skip vocab. If it’s to learn to read Japanese, do not skip vocab.

4 Likes

You guys have any experience with sentences mining, is that just sentences reading with focus on specific grammar points?

I saw an product from tofugu with sentences sheet to practice but the 40 bucks is a little bit to much.

So fast 1 year and already 60.

Sentence mining is something I’ve been looking into because it seems to be a fundamental core of a lot of the different methods of learning Japanese I’ve been looking into. There’s a lot of back and forth bashing between the curators of different methods, but on sentence mining there seems to be agreement. I could be totally wrong, but that’s just what I was able to garner with my limited time learning Japanese. I have one friend who managed to get to N2 using primarily Yomichan and Anki after getting over the beginner’s hump. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in with their opinions/experiences.

There’s this video by Cure Dolly that talks about vocab mining. Satori Reader is essentially a curated and easy to use sentence mine. MIA method uses mining as its core too, the DJT guide writers seems to swear by vocab audio cards, and so on. I think the general method makes a lot of sense. At the very least, learning vocab (and grammar too) from media that you’re consuming will make it easier to enjoy that media faster.

With respect to your main question, if you’re here for the 漢字, then do it right and learn the vocab too. Kanji often makes little sense without context that you would find in its actual usage, and by learning both together you get a more holistic understanding of Japanese vocabulary, and acts as double reinforcement.

Then I can bet that bunpro is a decent approach because you can learn a grammar and directly read a sentences around it.

Not sure what is and isn’t sentence mining, but all my anki cards nowadays are words with spoken sentences taken from everything from audiobooks to Youtube videos. (You can do this pretty easily with voracious for example)

I’ve mostly studied grammar separately, but sometimes grammar points are pretty much just words like beki, hazu etc with a dictionary definition.

I prefer spoken since I find I seldom take the time to read sample senyences, but if they’re spoken it’s a lot less work.

1 Like

I agree that vocabulary is really important. It helps me a lot memorizing kanji readings, so I think its a good idea learning it.

How does “skip” work in WK? By skipping, lessons are moved to the end and you’ll see them later or you’ll never see them again?

By the way, what does “wrap” do in reviews?

For me vocab is a motivation to learn kanji. It always feels good to encounter a vocab word whose meaning (and often pronuncation) can be guessed knowing the kanji. Some are even funny like 火山 (fire mountain = volcano), 電話 (electric talk = telephone), 絵文字 (picture letter = emoji), …

Are you asking about the wrap up button (little clock in the lefthand corner)? It ends your review session after 10 more items. I find it quite useful when I have a lot of reviews and only short chunks of time in which to do them.

3 Likes

Right know my reading is really just N5, it has improved after the 5 month class. But reading newspaper and other stuff that’s mixed is really just confusing. It seems like I’m just reading hiragana in one line.

Exactly. Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.