Single words listening

Hi, I want to ask if listening to N5 words, for example, is a good practice? I’m listening now to N5 words from youtube.

2 Likes

I think it may be okay for vocabulary reviews and checking pronunciation Etc. Having an example sentence for context would be good, too.

However, for listening practice, not much use at all.

3 Likes

Is it one of those recordings that just has a list of words?
If so, probably not, but it may depend on what you’re trying to do.

If you want to increase your vocabulary: Probably not the best way, in my experience; I always zone out after a bit and don’t learn anything new.
Slso, very often those lists are too long for you to retain much; you get things into your short-term memory, then push them out to make room for new stuff.

If you’re practicing listening comprehension or pronunciation: Possibly, if the material gives you a chance to quiz yourself (such as having pauses where you can guess the translation or repeat the word to yourself), and if you do it actively.

3 Likes

Listening to conversation I still don’t really have a clue, maybe listening is not something beginners should do?

I think listening to conversations can be good just for the sake of training your ear to the “melody” of Japanese.

It can also be helpful even if you don’t understand enough to translate it; if you can pick up even a single non-trivial word in a sentence, or understand its basic structure (〇〇から〇〇まで〇〇たのに、〇〇なかった。), you’ve achieved something.

However, for actual listening comprehension, the difficult part will be finding something that gives you material where you’re already familiar with the bulk of the content.

Have you tried using LingoDeer? Each lesson contains listening exercises that are suitable for beginners.

There’s also Japanese Podcast for Beginners by Teppei (from Nihongo Con Tepei), and JLPT stories.
Finding something that you can read while you listen also helps; something like Learn Japanese Pod or JapanesePod101.

6 Likes

Sure you can and probably should. Just don’t go into it with the expectation that you’ll understand most of it from the beginning!

Combining regular listening with vocab training means you’ll get increasingly better at picking out those words when you hear them, hopefully feeling a bit awesome when you do!

As I like repeating, I really like watching let’s play videos since you can watch just for the visuals, then the comprehension can come gradually. I’m sure this works for whatever interest you may have, cooking, cars, sports, whatever.

I do this whenever (actually even before) I start learning a language.

And listening to a word followed by a spoken sample sentence is very helpful imo even if you don’t understand a lot. At the very least it’ll train you to pick that one word out in the midst of a sentence, and any words other than that you can hear is just a bonus!

Also, with context you’ll know how the word is actually used (or at least one potential usage).

4 Likes

I highly recommend nihongo con teppei’s beginner series podcast. I listen to it on Spotify but i know it’s on other platforms. Im working towards N4 and it’s done wonders helping me connect words I’ve learned on wani kani to native speech. I spend maybe 20-30 minutes a day actively listening while commuting on the train.

I’ve tried a few approaches. First looking up grammar and words I didn’t understand. This was a bit tedious. Lately, I’ve just been cycling through the beginner series taking note of words and grammar I hear repeated frequently that i don’t understand. Because of this, I feel like my listening ability is much much better than my speaking ability.

In hindsight, I wish I would’ve given con teppei 93 dollars for his audio content over japanese pod. Can’t believe his material is still free.

4 Likes

I have that sometimes with anime, bruh literally, 1 or 2 words from the hundreds they are speaking, haha.

2 Likes

That will increase! :slight_smile:

It will take time, but the only way to get better at it is to keep on listening…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.