Should I learn the example kanji?

Hi everyone, I just reached level 2 and was wondering something. In level 1, I tried to learn all the example kanji that come with each radical, and I feel like it made me take much longer to reach level 2. Should I stop doing this and only learn the radicals, the kanji and the vocabulary specific to each level? Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Yes you should. The example kanjis will be taught in due time when you reach the appropriate level.

3 Likes

The examples you are being shown are all items that you will be learning in future lessons, perhaps in the same level, or perhaps at a later level. I would just wait until you get to the proper lesson for each of those at the appointed time.

3 Likes

Like @mgrice says, these are actual kanji you will be learning down the road, so they are defo not unimportant. But, the way WK is made is for you to learn things in stages. First radicals, and get comfortable with what they look like, then the kanji making use of those visual components and when you guru’d those kanji you get example vocab in your lessons pile to hammer in the various kanji readings.

Now, you’re essentially jumping ahead a bit, which isn’t really something you need to do or might just make things harder for you.

Now, one way to make the most of the example vocab (not so much the example kanji) for me is to see if there are any words I might already know or recognize. That can help me better memorize the readings of kanji, so that the vocab supports me learning the kanji. It’s backwards to how wk is structured but it doesn’t matter: both the vocab and kanji will help you retain your reading knowledge. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Isn’t there a user script that will highlight the vocab in the context examples if they are vocab you have already learned on WK and/or add furigana to those which you have not learned yet or that are not present in WK at all? Did I see that somewhere? Or perhaps just a thread wondering about it. Or am I just fabricating memories of things that never were?

2 Likes

Well, I wasn’t talking about the context sentences (not sure if you were implying that). I don’t use the context sentences at all. Just the example vocab during kanji lessons which I find quite helpful :slight_smile:

As for a script…I don’t remember something like that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was one. I’d check the Main List thread for all the third party scripts and look for lessons scripts.

1 Like

Feels like WaniKani could use an intro/tutorial to make things like this clear. Is it already inplace?

1 Like

I think radicals are OK to be remembered by themselves, using mnemonics or anything. They are just normal English words.

Kanji are different, having readings attached, I don’t like remembering broken vocabularies. But then, remembering even some vocabularies first might be proven hard and feeling like wasting time too.

Anyway, it’s up to you to experiment. Now and 20 levels later might feel different.

1 Like

Thank you all! This will make things quicker and easier I guess lol

1 Like

I really liked the introduction emails I got during the first 1-2 levels. They explain very well how to use the site and what’s to come.

2 Likes

Things like this should be a part of the app/site, though. For instance, via a Help section in a drop-down menu.

1 Like