Should I get a WaniKani Subscription?

You are NOT motivated.

I’m French, but following english videos for other languages doesn’t bother me

Thanks for the recommendation tho !

Thanks, I’ll first finish my free subscription then get a month one to test it

Do you think so ?
Is there a way to stay motivated to learn it on a daily basis ?

Well, first of all, you can get a massive discount if you buy the lifetime at Christmas, at least you could last year, and secondly, having to mortgage my house is a great spur to actually studying/reviewing every day.

2 Likes

Sure. Why do you want to learn?

Oh, if there is a seasonal discount that changes things. Wouldn’t having to pay monthly motivate you more,so you don’t waste any more months than you have to?

I would like to be able to read Light Novels / Visual Novels without much trouble, but I also don’t want to attend classes, so I’m kind of lost to be honest

I see, thanks for the tip, is it on Christmas day or is there like a week to get it ?

Understand that if you don’t work on it every single day, you will fail to achieve your goal. Not only will you not get there, you’ll also have wasted the time you invested. Does that motivate you?

I see, I should tell to myself this kind of things more

1 Like

Japanese is a lifelong learning journey for me and most of us. This is why I bought a lifetime subscription. It’s a big cost upfront but great value over time … I have been here for 1.5 years and still come here nearly every day.

9 Likes

The cost of a lifetime subscription is more than 3x the yearly subscription, and paid in advance. You could have spent less than half that and enjoyed the same access. Japanese may be a lifelong journey but I don’t think WaniKani should be a lifelong part of that journey, not unless they significantly expand it.

1 Like

This may seem the case but it isn’t true.

I bought a yearly when I joined, then come Christmas each year, WK does a yearly sale and your leftover subscription counts towards that. So actually it is cheaper and also, even when I reach level 60, I’ll likely use this over and over again for practice, the Kanji here is more expansive than you might think, unless you’re 100% writing only Japanese every day, this is very useful for many many years. Just look at all the people who rush to level 60 (in about 1.5 years) and then reset it.

5 Likes

You’re asking if you should buy something from a group of people who have bought it and are actively using and most likely enjoying it (since they’re on the forums), so the responses you get are going to be very one-sided. I would suggest searching the forums (and probably reddit too) for threads from people who have quit or decided not to purchase a WK subscription.

Bear in mind I’m saying this as someone who has a lifetime subscription to WK; I love it and have zero regrets, so it’s not like I’m trying to discourage you from getting one.

4 Likes

For people who are busy, or who either don’t want to or can’t do the fastest pace… also nice to have a buffer for when LIFETM happens.

Also there’s usually been a sale on Lifetime every Christmas, $50~$100 off (depending on your currency/conversion rate).

So you could pay monthly for a few months and grab Lifetime later if you wind up going at a slower pace.

1 Like

I can’t speak for @TonyB, but for some people it does, and some people it doesn’t make a difference. \_(o.o )_/

1 Like

I can’t remember for sure, but it was at least for a couple of weeks. Maybe as long as a month. There’ll be a big announcement probably in your email about it, and you’ll suddenly start seeing a lot more people with purple numbers (like mine) instead of blue or grey.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

yeah @BiPolarScientist said the same thing, I have yet to search for people who dropped out of WK for some reason, and see if it’s made for me or not.

As for now, I think it’s very useful, especially with the quizzes, but I’ll gladly hear what people find not so great about it

1 Like

Yes, that helped ! Thank you ^^ I’ll think about it when it comes :smiley: