Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I read most of this article, and then started skimming once it became a bit repetitive, so I might have missed it, but I didn’t really feel like it covered the use case of presenting the sum for a purchase. It seemed very focused on coffee…

Is になる used while talking about math? To talk about the end result of a calculation or such? Because if it is, I think it could be argued that saying 560円になります could be about telling the result of adding up the costs for all the items you’re buying.

Not that I’m saying it isn’t wrong, but I feel like that use case was skipped in the article; although it is only skipped if using になる for math calculation is a native/natural/acceptable way to talk maths.

Edit: Basically now I’ve gotten curious what words and phrases is used for math in Japanese. How did that happen? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That’s the first example right after the first set of images:

Admittedly, I heard much more criticism about the coffee case (because コーヒーになります literally means “it becomes coffee”, and that would rather be appropriate for a magician to say :wink: ). But judging from that example in the article they also take issue when it’s used for stating a price. :woman_shrugging:
But I’m not dying on that hill so if y’all think it’s ok for a price, then I will keep that in mind.

3 Likes

I did have to look for it pretty deeply, but I found a person who says basically what we did, I think.

But eh, I found 100 people who disagree, so I can’t really act like I’m right. I’ll be back.

2 Likes

Okay, I double missed that it was about a price and not change. Yes, just stating a price with になります is strange.

3 Likes

Strange, you say.

2 Likes

Well, yeah, because nothing changes if you’re just mentioning a price.

Again, don’t mean in the sense of “it’s unusual to hear” because you hear it all the time.

I mean strange as in it doesn’t make sense for it to have become used that way (to mean です).

3 Likes

I did find a bunch of examples like this:

Add 100 to 200 and it becomes 300.
百と二百を足すと三百になる。

That’s basically what I meant when I said I disagreed with calling it incorrect.

But that’s different to what I’m trying to figure out now. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just to be clear, I have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m just curious.

So I’m not disagreeing, because I don’t know what is right and not.

If say I buy one apple and I get told the price as: 200円になります。That I think we would all be in agreement should be です or the keigo version of it.

But what if I bought one apple and one pear, and I get told: 550円になります。Would this not imply that there is was an unsaid portion? As in: (One apple a 200円 plus one pear a 350円,) 550円になります。

Or is that just my English/Swedish brain thinking that would seem logically possible in Japanese?

4 Likes

Me all the time.

Like I didn’t remember that was a thing that was said, but when I saw it, it made sense to me that it used なります.

I’m gonna ask two native Japanese teachers, and then I’ll give up.

4 Likes

Alright, I’m back.

My native Japanese teacher said that になります is correct for calculations and when adding prices, that is, not just a single price. For example, at a grocery store, or a restaurant.

But if it’s just the price of a house, for example, it’s not logical.

It makes sense to me because, in manga and other media, you usually see the cashier mentioning the price of every item, then saying the total at the end.

I can’t really give anything else than this. :sweat_smile:
At least I’m content.

Edit: Corroborated by second native Japanese teacher.

She says that it’s used when calculating the change for the customer, for example. But not when presenting said change to the customer.

For example:
「5000円お預かりいたします。こちらから4500円頂戴いたしますので、お返しは500円になります。こちら、お返しの500円でございます」

7 Likes

Thank you! That’s very helpful.

2 Likes

I have a list of words somewhere in this topic. I even made a Kitsun deck for the geometry words, though I haven’t bothered making the arithmetic one yet.

2 Likes

Try as I might, I can’t understand what the と in the 例文 here is for.

1 Like

I think in cases like that, it literally translates to “this” or “that”. It’s like the difference between と言う (said that…) and を言う (said …)

4 Likes

とする is kind of its own thing that can mean “to treat as” or “to regard as.”

So, for me, I wouldn’t think of it as being separate from する, but yeah, I guess it’s the quoting と if you had to break it down.

8 Likes

I’m having trouble distinguishing between 〜ようが/〜だろうが & 〜にしろ/〜にせよ. For example, are the two expressions interchangeable in the sentence below?

• ドン・キホーテは、食べ物 {にしろ/だろうが} 服 {にしろ/だろうが} 、安く買うことができる。
2 Likes

I was looking at the Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns and 〜にしろ/〜にせよ is the formal version of 〜にしても which has 3 different usages. The last one seems to be the only one that could fit your example:

Taking two items in the same genre or two opposing items, expresses the meaning of “either way”
犬にしても猫にしてもこのマンションではペットを飼ってはいけないことになっている。/ Putting aside whether it is a dog or
a cat, this apartment does not allow pets.

As for だろうが、it says

Means that “regardless of X or Y, anyone (or anything) will do.” When adjectives or verbs are used, the expression takes the form Aーかろうが and Vようが, as in 暑かろうが寒かろうが,生きようが死
のうが, and 雨が降ろうが降るまいが.
(2) 子供だろうが、大人だろうが、法を守らなおなければならないのは同じだ。/ Whether you’re a child or an adult, everyone has to
obey the laws just the same.
(3) 彼は、山田さんだろうが、加藤さんだろはんたいものようしゃぃうが、 反対する者は容赦しないと言っている。/ He is saying that whether it’s
Yamada-san or Kato-san, he won’t forgive
those who oppose him.

It seems that だろうが makes a stronger statement if I understood correctly. With にしても we are saying that Don Quixote as for food or clothes could only buy the cheap stuff. With だろうが we are saying that Don Quixote could only buy the cheap stuff (it could be food, clothes or anything else).

4 Likes

Yes, that seems to be what Bunpro says too — “Used to express strong feelings (I will never stop loving you) and unchangeable truths (even if students do not come to school, I will still teach).”

Thank you!

3 Likes

I understand that in 日本語 the basic expression of fractions is say, 十分の一 to say 1 tenth. but is it possible to omit that の particle? The original 日本語 LN i’m reading has a sentence where it seems like it follows that rule but with the の particle omitted, as in "十分十二分”.

3 Likes

Here it seems like a leap in logic, because you get a bonus 分 at the end. What’s the full context? Is there no chance it’s “10-12 minutes”?

2 Likes