Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I just remembered that「見てみる」means “to have a look”, so I wonder why 「見てみなくてはいけない」wouldn’t work as “I must have a look” :thinking:

Yeah, I don’t agree with it either, since I didn’t find anyone mentioning this in another place. To me, it just sounds like both work and the user is probably making divisions where they don’t exist.Thanks!

I got 4 on google, 3 on yahoo.co.jp but basically matched your results on google.co.jp. So maybe I’m wrong there, but when I start reading the usage and chatting with the wife, the meaning does not really fit the planning of watching a tv show.

見てみなくてはいけない sounds like having to view in a certain way, or having to tend to see something. It’s also used in some of the links as the only way to see something like this one: どのぐらい議論されたのかというのは、議事録などを見てみなくてはいけないですね。

It’s not that the grammar is bad, it’s just a usage thing. Read a bunch of those examples and see what you think.

Not saying it doesn’t. Just saying it’s not the normal way you’d talk about planning to watch a tv show in the future.

1 Like

Oh yeah, that I also agree. All the Japanese “musts” are based on obligation, not really on how much the speaker wants to do something (ex: I want to watch this tv show!!!" and “I must watch this show!!!”)

2 Likes

Figures that’d be an english-centric way to phrase things, then.

Gah, English. Trying to comprehend how to phrase things in another language is difficult. xD

So, today is bento day at my school and the school nurse was praising how healthy my lunch was. Because kyushoku is mandatory at my school and very heavy on the rice/noodles/general crap, I gained a fair bit of weight my first year here, and then lost most of it the second when I stopped eating the rice portion of my lunch.

ANYWAYS. My question is regarding something I tried to say but am not sure if it was correct.

このようなヘルシーな食事を毎日食べれば、こんなに太れなかったのに。。。

“If I could eat this healthy every day, I wouldn’t have gotten so fat.”

It’s the second part of the sentence that I’m having trouble with. I know that this kind of structure can be used for regrets and hypotheticals (ex. “If I had studied more, I could have passed that test…”), but can the negative potential form also be used?

I don’t know the answer off the top of my head, but I wonder what is different about your schools, because I have never felt full after kyuushoku.

Same here, I never feel full, but if I do the math, kyushoku tops out at 700-1000kcals each day. Combined with breakfast and dinner, I was eating well above my TDEE.

I just hope that my next school is a high school so I can go back to being vegan again. I absolutely hate what meat/dairy has done to my skin here.

Why use the potential? Would not have been able to get fat is strange. I think こんなに太らなかったのに is the way to go in this case.

1 Like

睡眠薬飲まなければ全然眠れなかったのに。 ← negative potential?

Found the page in my textbook!
I believe you’re right, my apologies!

51%20PM

So the revised sentence is: このようなヘルシーな食事を毎日食べれば、こんなに太らなかったのに…

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Don’t they serve bigger portions to teachers? Mine is always more than what the students get.

Of course, student portions would be ridiculous. But even so.

Man, I usually have to force myself to eat everything so that the kyuushoku obasan won’t complain.

Also, is it bad that this started playing in my head since I read that you never felt full after kyuushoku?

Well, depending on some of the more extreme forms of washoku torture, just finishing can be difficult, but that doesn’t impact the fullness.

If it’s because of my avatar, it’s actually a husky. But most people think it’s a wolf, I think.

1 Like

Yes, and there is never enough milk to wash it down!

Hungry like the husky, then.

9 Likes

I think that the author was trying to emphasize how more stronger ばいい can be compared to らいい. However, there is nothing, as far as I’m aware, that would prevent you from saying something like

あれ拉麺が美味しければいいと思う.

What are you trying to say here?

Did I mess up? I meant to say “I think it would be good if that ramen over there were tasty”. Was something amiss?

Whats the difference within these? Do they all translate to the same thing? “Meet Friend”?
友達と会う / 友達に会う/ 友達を会う