Reading Vol. 16・ゆるキャン△・ Laid-Back Camp 🏕 (Beginner Book Club)

Hey Naphthalene! I am currently roaming the forum, but it looks like a regular pulled through already! I hope y’all are enjoying the book club! :sunglasses:

nadeshiko

-Nick at WK

6 Likes

Finally got around to finishing the なぞときキャンプ場. I had to play it alone since I had no one with good japanese abilities close by to play with me. I think I would only recommend doing it with friends! Though the hint section in the accompanying website helped with the parts that I could not figure out!

2 Likes

But it was fun, yah? :slightly_smiling_face:

Want to do a debrief somewhere?

P.S. English volume 12 finally showed up at Kinokuniya. The mystery しよゆ in chapter 67 was rendered as “zoy zause”, and I’ve gotta say, that’s… not how I would have chosen to go about it. Trying to remember if there’s anything else I’d intended to bring up. Actually read it a couple of weeks ago.

3 Likes

Yeah it was fun, especially if you are into these escape games. Not sure what your debrief entails, but sure.

Well, I confess I’m not entirely sure what I’m thinking it entails either. Discuss our favourite puzzles? Commiserate about where we get stuck? Boast about which parts made us feel the cleverest? :stuck_out_tongue:

These guys are running a revival of the very first Tokyo Metro Underground Mysteries event right now - part of the reason for the timing of my upcoming trip is to catch the tail-end of it. Already booked my ticket for it. Hoping I can solve it in Japanese within a single day.

Prediction: volume 15 gonna be released sometime in late September. Maybe mid-October at the latest. Evidence in support is that chapter 87, which ought to be the last chapter in the volume, was released on Comic Fuz at the end of July, and it’s generally taken roughly two-to-three months to produce the tankobon edition.

Picked up 13 in English at Kinokuniya today. First half of the hanami arc. I almost visited Katsunuma Station (where Nadeshiko and Rin finish up this volume) on my trip back in March, but I dropped it from consideration early on in my planning when I figured it’d be too early for sakura, but never reinstated it when the sakura forecast abruptly jumped forwards by two weeks, and I definitely regretted that when I passed through on the train close to sunset and found the place thronging with sakura.

Actually, I never did boast about my mini Yuru Camp pilgrimage here, did I? Let me rectify that.

Blog post Places Visited Seen in
Day 5 Fujinomiya Vol 7
Arrival in Minobu All volumes
Day 6 Kuon-ji not seen yet
Mount Minobu Vol 5
Day 7 Kai-Tokiwa All volumes
- (incl characters’ school
and Rin’s house)
Shimobe Onsen Anime-only (so far)
Akasawa-juku Vol 7
- (primarily Shimizu-ya,
where Rin visited.)
Day 8 Minobu proper All volumes
- (incl Minobu manju
and houtou)
Utsubuna (Nadeshiko’s house) All volumes
Utsubuna park sakura Vol 13
Kuon-ji (again)
Day 9 Kofu Castle not seen yet
Hottarakashi Onsen Vol 1
Fuefuki Fruits Park Vol 1
Katsunuma station
seen only from the train
Vol 13

And if you’re not sick of reading my rather wordy posts yet, there’s the rest of the blog, though most of it not relevant to Yuru Camp/ :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Waaaaaa this book club offshoot is still going on! I think I stopped partiicpating around volume 3. So cool to see that you guys got so far, I just wanted to say hi to everyone <3

5 Likes

You’ve got some catching up to do. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, we’ve reached the point where we’re always waiting for the next volume to be released.

4 Likes

Maybe I can catch up when we finish reading シャドーハウス and while I’m waiting for the next volume of THAT! I think that would be nice. I miss ゆるキャン△ :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Just got the notification from Bookwalker

5 Likes

I thought for a second it was already out :sweat_smile:
Oh well, but soon-ish!

3 Likes

Called it. Ish. I mean, it’s a bit later than I estimated, but it’s in the ballpark. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I should really catch up…

4 Likes

And I raise you:

(seems a little expensive for not having any real content but you know :person_shrugging: VR stuff)

Also, we aren’t talking about how long it’s been since I’ve read

5 Likes

Heh. I read chapter 89 on Comic Fuz, and Nadeshiko is planning a trip to a whole bunch of other places I’ve visited myself. Whether she actually visits all of those places remains to be seen, so perhaps I’ll hold off on boasting about it. Gonna be in volume 16, though, which a fair while off.

4 Likes

I wonder how many volumes there will be :thinking: At some point, the author is going to run out of places, right?

Aside from the Izu trip, they haven’t even left Chubu* yet. There’s still all the rest of Japan.

* Depending on whether Yamanashi is in Chubu or Kanto - I’m pretty sure it’s the former, but I’ve seen conflicting information.

2 Likes

That sounds rough on a high schooler’s budget, but I guess it’s true.

Less than two weeks until volume 15 comes out (though how long after that it’ll take before it shows at my local Kinokuniya, I couldn’t say), and to celebrate, I thought I’d get my accessibility-by-train map updated. I was mistaken with my “aside from the Izu trip” qualification in my earlier post, mind - I think I thought Izu was in Kanagawa Prefecture, but it’s in Shizuoka, and therefore also in Chubu.

Linky.

3 Likes

Let’s goooo!

I guess it makes no sense to start the club until it’s available for @Belthazar though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes