Reading Vol. 16・ゆるキャン△・ Laid-Back Camp 🏕 (Beginner Book Club)

Want me to explain it? Or give a more pointed hint? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just explain.

2 Likes

The numbers on the animals’ towels refer to a specific stroke in the kanji that’s on the sign next to their particular onsen. So for the tanuki, strokes 9 and 12 of 温 are the top and bottom strokes of the 皿 component, or in other words, ユ. Which is to say, 湯. And so forth.

So in future, when new users go “why should I bother learning stroke order?”, we can point them at this puzzle. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

based on the hints from twitter, I got the strokes and still failed to put them into katakana. Good job self.

2 Likes

Well well well, looks like we are back in business.

(I’m going to wait a few days, until I randomly get a discount for manga, before buying it; I am that cheap).

5 Likes

And it just so happens to be November 10th. What a coincidence. :slightly_smiling_face:

Rather hoping my local Kinokuniya gets it in timely fashion. I’m still waiting for the English volume 12 to show up.

In other news, the puzzle box I ordered arrived two Fridays ago, and I finished it last Friday. I enjoyed it a great deal, albeit with the bonus challenge of solving it in Japanese. There were two puzzles that involved listening to audio to solve them (both dialogue and sound effects), hence the warning on the website that it’s not really suitable for hearing-impaired people. My biggest gripe: two puzzles relied entirely on clues given in earlier chapters of the website component of it, but the website didn’t give you an easy way to go back and re-view them. (Also, it’s definitely a single-play-only thing - some of the puzzles involved cutting and/or sticky-taping the props.)

Though what I’m most impressed by is that they got the actual anime voice actors to record a not insignificant amount of audio for this. Like, I’m surprised they’ve got enough clout to actually be in a position to hire them. (Though I guess this is the same company that runs the Underground Mysteries event with the assistance of the entire Tokyo Metro.)

4 Likes

2 Likes

Finally found it in Kagoshima \o/

4 Likes

Just ordered it while I’m still in Japan super interested to see how hard this is going to be.

4 Likes

I was a bit scared it wouldn’t arrive before I leave Fukuoka but it worked out!

3 Likes

Have you had a go at it yet, or are you leaving it sealed until you can sit down and have a proper look? :slightly_smiling_face:

In other news, still waiting for volume 14 to show up in my local Kinokuniya. Even popped by on Monday to see if the website saying “out of stock” was inaccurate. Just checked the website again, and of course it’s now showing as in stock…

2 Likes

Just had a peek at it while unpacking. Will probably have a go at it next week when I’m back home.

1 Like

Oh I just found this Book Club community! But is it too late if I want to start Vol. 1 now…?

It isn’t! If you have any question, just ask in the relevant thread (they are all linked in the first post).

Great! Thanks for your kind reply. Just noted there are different links for each volume~!

1 Like

I picked up volume 14 at my local Kinokinuya today, so we can start that if people are ready. :smiley:

Are we ever gonna see the sakura camp? What meat did Toba-sensei buy? Are we going to see those two new girls again?

Well, considering the way they were introduced, and the fact that they’re just about to start a new school year, that pretty much goes without saying.

Also, they’re on the back cover.

I also finally got the chance to watch the Yuru Camp movie. It’s quite a bit of fun, though veers rather close to the bittersweet tone of “you can fulfil your dreams! if you give up childish things like having the time to hang out with your friends” that the end of Aria and the post-series movies tended to fall into.

5 Likes

I am ready as well. I can put up the new thread tomorrow if people are up to it (or should we keep to starting on Saturdays?)

5 Likes

I played the first 2 (3) chapters today and it is for sure not easy. But the website has really nice videos all voiced by the crew. Overall a good impression so far

2 Likes

Well, I put the thread up with the start date on Saturday.

Based on the chapter titles… I guess so.

3 Likes

Aaaah, I just realized (once again) that only the owner (and mods) can change the thread title.
Would there be a nice mod roaming around who could change the Vol. 13 into a Vol. 14? :innocent:

Edit: oh, or regulars, I guess. That works.

8 Likes