Reading material for Beginner Level

I just reached lvl 20 on WK (yay!) and I plan to start reading material aimed at beginners. currently I’m on lessons 16/17 of Misa’s beginner lessons. I checked the ultimate resources list and there are some resources that I already checked out like watanoc for example.

Can you recommend any light novels, manga or stories in general I could use to practice reading?

Thanks in advance

3 Likes

How’s your grammar?

3 Likes

Totally forgot to put it in. I edited my post. Right now I’m learning the て-Form

Congrats on level 20!

Pussy Detectives.

Or if you’re more of a dog person, わんわん探偵団. I couldn’t find the USA Amazon page for this one, but maybe someone else has it (“Bitch Detectives” doesn’t work).

The grammar might be a bit higher than what you’ve studied, but you could check out the reading group right here on WK for volume one of the kitty series. We finished up a while ago so there are lots of questions answered for the entire book. There’s also this thread someone started because they felt their grammar was too low and everyone talked about whether it’s worth it to get the book at whatever level they are. You could read that and decide before you buy.

My personal experience (I read the kitty one, volume 1. Working on volume 2, might do the doggie series next):

Vocab: This is my 2nd time through WK after hitting level 60, and there were still a ton of words I didn’t know (70+ from the whole book). So vocab wise you’ll be seeing a bunch of new stuff anyway, I don’t see a reason to wait to advance in WK for this particular book.

Grammar: Finished Genki I and II, and now in Tobira (at the time just getting started, around Chapter 1 or 2). I didn’t feel there was anything too tough grammar-wise. In one of the kitty threads I remember seeing a comment saying that some of the grammar was around N3 level and if they had known that before starting, it would’ve put them off reading it. But they read it anyway and were pleasantly surprised at how they kept up.

I hope that helps!

5 Likes

That name of the first one :eyes: That’s gotta be one of the greatest cases I’ve seen of translation gone wrong.

7 Likes

I know, right? How they didn’t just name it “Kitty Detectives”, I have no idea. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Either a very innocent person… or a very cynical one.

It made me laugh, so i really think it was made on purpose… who knows

:grin:

I’d particularly check out the sections ‘bilingual books’, ‘graded readers’ and ‘satori reader’ :wink:

But if you’re looking for native content, I’d second the suggestion of, um… the kitty detectives! It’s really helpful to read something with vocabulary help and where lots of your questions will have been answered.

5 Likes

Thank you so much!! I just made an ebook Japan account and set up my Amazon JP /Kindle account too.
I hope to buy the digital version in a few weeks :blush:

1 Like

Thanks radish-kun. I made a subscription for Satori reader some time ago but I figured I was lacking too much grammar. I think I’ll pick it up again when my grammar skills are a bit better.
I think I’ll try graded readers and kitty detectives. :grin:

2 Likes

The easiest articles in Satori Reader are in my opinion “Sakura and Suzuki’s Long Distance Relationship - easier version” and some of the “Bus Stop Dialogs”. Those two should be a good starting point. After that, “Akiko’s American Foreign Exchange” also has an easier version available.

1 Like

That’s some good advise. What wk level were you when you started reading?

That’s 100% on purpose… Pussy investigator was too obvious I presume.

EDIT:
Nevermind, Pussies study group was the best choice.

4 Likes

I don’t remember exactly – I guess I was somewhere between level 20 and 30? However I had already finished Human Japanese and Human Japanese Intermediate for learning basic grammar.
I think grammar is a higher entry barrier than vocabulary knowledge, especially if every word is annotated with its meaning, like in Satori Reader.

1 Like

Satori Reader finally has its app!! :blush::blush:
Now I can download the stories beforehand :grin:

1 Like

Is that like Satori Reader, but only containing satires? :wink:
Too bad that I don’t own a smartphone - enjoy the satires without me.

7 Likes

I enjoy these, though I have to learn quite a few new words:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=角川つばさ文庫+こぐま

I do not own a Kindle, I just use the Android App.
Amazon.co.jp also has a collection of free manga, if you’re interested in those.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/kindle-dbs/manga-store/free-無料コミック/ref=msw_glink_freehome

It’s easy to get those and it’s obviously legal.

4 Likes

eBookJapan also has a lot of free manga! Be sure to check it out if you’re interested, some expire today. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Hahah had a typo :joy:

@Aghork @Kazzeon thanks. I also checked Amazon JP for free stuff. It’s quite nice that you can download samples of most manga.

Also checked ebook Japan and made an account.
Their free manga count is also impressive.

1 Like