📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

You’re right that’s the country name. I’ll make it clearer. Thanks for the feedback!

5 Likes

If only their school play was 「スノーホワイト」, you could have encountered it sooner =D

Also seen when it snows for Christmas.

From another comic:

8 Likes

Unfortunately, I’ve only read Shimeji Simulation in English so I can’t really comment on its difficulty… but I just checked and actually WK has had a book club regarding the series semi-recently.. It’s listed as beginner but it definitely seems like people have had trouble with comprehension due to how bizarre the series can get so yeah might be worth shelving until you feel a bit more prepared for it.

As for no furigana I think the biggest effect of that is honestly it just takes you a bit longer to look up words you don’t know. Which can definitely end up causing fatigue to accumulate but it’s definitely more tedium than challenge!

9 Likes

Luckily the book club maintained a vocab sheet which gives you the unknown words in order, so that should help you get sorted on the kanji. For the contents, yes it’s not that straightforward I thought, and it’s 4koma so the storytelling is also a bit different…

9 Likes

Oh wow! I somehow skipped right over this. And it’s so detailed, too. Seems like a great resource to use then.

7 Likes

January 24th & 25th (Days 24 & 25) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

Still lacking energy. But I started chapter 26 of チュベローズで待ってる AGE32. Almost 1/3 down. Getting there

AAAAA, congrats!!! :tada: :partying_face: :tada:

23 Likes

Day 24
The last part of my japanese test done and submitted. One thing less to worry about for now.

I read some more Tsugumomo vol.2 and started Kindaichi Shounen vol.1.

The Foreword of Kindaichi Shounen was rather hard but I admit I usually never read the Foreword even in translated manga. It’s just not that interesting. I actually don’t like murder mysteries but in manga or videogame form it’s somehow tolerable for me.

2004 pages read 17996 to go

20 Likes

Got to chapter 3 of Re:Zero yesterday, but family is in town and I am just not mentally strong enough focus wise to continue reading books atm, so I am gonna use this time to read manga instead. I am really bummed about this but I can’t read without getting hung up on some dumb argument in my head with my relatives that happened. Any advice on ignoring your inner thoughts when you’re reading? I feel like I lost my ability to focus T-T

19 Likes

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: 1月25日 :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

wowee! change of pace today. I set up textractor and some stuff to let me use yomichan for (some) visual novels! I’d been wanting to do this for a while but was too lazy to work through all the steps. Last night I went through jpdb.io and found a couple short and easily graded visual novels (double checked to make sure they were sfw first, ty vndb for having a non-sexual tag)

Read:

• 月の光 0 → 4800 chars - according to jpdb im about halfway through by character count. Pretty cute story, super easy to read, but still enough new interesting words for me. mainly just wanted something that was free and short to test out my setup, but then ended up reading a lot more than I thought I would. I’ll finish this tomorrow probably, but i’m excited by how well this works. It opens up a whole new realm of reading for me. Games in general have been hard for me to get in to without a way to quickly look up words (esp w/o furigana), so stuff like this might help bridge that gap.
  • ホリミヤ ch 93 - still nibbling on this, inching closer and closer to the end
  • 夜カフェ pg 29 → 30 - still wanted to do a little bit of this too
Good Words

印象「いんしょう」ー impression
香り「かおり」ー fragrance

23 Likes

January 25th!

Today I read Chapter 5 of Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun.
I was hoping to read 2 chapters, but I’m too tired - this last 2 weeks has been incredibly busy for me.
I might have to do some extra bookclub reading this weekend to make sure I don’t fall behind with any clubs.

(Home Post)

22 Likes

:cup_with_straw: Home :it:

January 25th

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険7
-

海月姫
98 - 110

22 Likes

Slowly pacing through v1c2 of 魔女の旅々 . If word of the first chapter was ほうき, second loves 花畑. Also main character reminds me Eleanor from The Haunting of Hill House. Both are equally immature.

21 Likes

Finished Chainsaw Man Vol. 13 kind out of spite that I cant read Re:Zero xD

Maybe I need to try again on the way home. I have a bunch of manga I have been putting off for my reading so maybe this is a chance to clear out the backlog I built up.

20 Likes

January 23rd
Again, just did Aomi speaking practice.
January 24th
Yet again, just did Aomi speaking practice.

While missing two days of reading in a row doesn’t feel too great, I was really busy those two days, and, I think, genuinely didn’t really have the time or mental energy to use for reading in Japanese. So I’m glad that it at least wasn’t because I was just wasting my time with something else (that almost happened today, though, eheh.)

January 25th
What did I read?: 魔女と猫の話
How much did I read?: 12 pages
(Continued 2nd Story )
How long did it take me?: 1 h 16 min

So after Kei accidentally summons the cat, she explains to him that he doesn’t have a witch, and asks him to go home. This really upsets the poor, little kitty, and he runs away, crying. :cry: Kei manages to catch him, though, and then one of the adult witches sends him home, but before Kei has the opportunity to apologize to him (it turns out that being sent back after having been summoned is considered a great disgrace among cats).

23 Likes

January 25 :snowflake: Home Post

Played some ~ Genshin Impact ~ as is the new norm apparently; it is nice to have more balance in the types of reading I’m doing so there’s that! I also read some more 花子くん which continues to have more plotlines I’d forgotten :joy: so yeah pretty solid reading day!

Woo welcome to the club!! :tada:

23 Likes

Finished volume 7 of 映像研に手を出すな. Finally caught up with that.

Now reading volume 1 of 推しの子.

18 Likes

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 25

My time management has been terrible lately so just a little ユージニア (75% → 78%). Well, as I usually say a little progress is still infinitely better than no progress.

21 Likes

Finally read through one sub chapter of Re:Zero. A bit confusing but could get my head around the last half of it. While there’s only 8 pages on the next sub chapter I might call it a night since I’ve read so much today it’s kind of insane. Hence the unusual amount of updates.

16 Likes

Have you checked out the Re Zero book club home thread ? I guess you could even still ask there if you are wondering about things in particular.

8 Likes

January 24-26

Been sticking to 2 or three pages a day of Mr. マロウブルー. I love this manga so much, these recent pages were relatively easy because of lots of repetition of words I recognise well (魔法, お茶) and easy context.

Normally I have to look up so many more words and ask a fluent (and kind and tolerant) friend of mine a heap of questions.

23 Likes